Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• TimeToRebuild
    • By TimeToRebuild 5th Jan 18, 12:33 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Recently Bankrupt and Small Claims Court
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:33 PM
    Recently Bankrupt and Small Claims Court 5th Jan 18 at 12:33 PM
    Hello All, after a little advice.

I went bankrupt on the 27th December, had my OR interview the other day (all went well)

However today i have received a court date from one of my creditors. (small claims court)

This creditor was listed on my bankruptcy and i made the OR fully aware that i am waiting for a court date, the OR said its fine as it is covered on my bankruptcy.

My question is do i need to inform the court that i am bankrupt or will this become clear when the OR sends his report out?

Many Thanks
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    Hi there,

It is possible this paperwork has crossed due to the Christmas period, however, it is not the end of the world. You will need to reply to the claim forms and complete the defence, you will have 14days to reply, plus 5 days from the issue date if they were issued by Northampton County Court. If you need more time you can reply with the Acknowledgement of Service form first get an additional 14days if you need them. Hopefully, your defence should be quite simple as you should be able to list your bankruptcy number and explain briefly that you no longer owe this money as it was covered in the bankruptcy application that was approved on the 27th December 2017.

However, please be aware that there are a select few debts that are not included in bankruptcy, and, just in case the situation may be more complex, you may wish to get further advice from one of the free debt charities to confirm this was covered by the bankruptcy. Good luck,

We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • haggis0073
    • By haggis0073 5th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    you can ring the OR with the number they supplied you, i have done this a couple of times and they are very helpful, they will know for sure on your next step as they probably deal with situations like this on a daily basis
    • debt doctor
    • By debt doctor 6th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 4,221 Posts
    • 5,892 Thanks
    debt doctor
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    It is very important that you keep the court informed, and fill out the defence in the appropriate time.
    Providing it is a bankruptcy debt then the action cannot proceed, but I have seen actions proceed many times over the years when the bankrupt ignored the forms.
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,848Posts Today

6,920Users online

Martin's Twitter