Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TRAGO1987
    • By TRAGO1987 5th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TRAGO1987
    Joint bank account question
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    Joint bank account question 5th Jan 18 at 12:26 PM
    Good afternoon all,

I am in the Armed Forces and my wife doesn't work she is a stay at home mum with the young children. Unfortunately she has a bad credit score from her younger days.
    My questions is when I am away she has no access to money and I was wondering what the best way to go was as I understand you are not allowed two debit cards for a current account.
    We are living in married quarters at the moment and wanting to save to buy our own house and I know of your financially connected her credit score could bring mine down.
    Cheers
Page 1
    • benjus
    • By benjus 5th Jan 18, 1:28 PM
    • 5,046 Posts
    • 3,100 Thanks
    benjus
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:28 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:28 PM
    Why does she have no access to money? Can't she just open a basic bank account in her own name and use that?
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • TRAGO1987
    • By TRAGO1987 5th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TRAGO1987
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    She has a bank account yeah. Its just she doesn't work and if I am not contactable which is a lot of the time and needs money I can't just transfer it.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 5th Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    • 5,046 Posts
    • 3,100 Thanks
    benjus
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    She has a bank account yeah. Its just she doesn't work and if I am not contactable which is a lot of the time and needs money I can't just transfer it.
    Originally posted by TRAGO1987
    You could try to work out how much she's likely to need to cover all likely eventualities and transfer that much into her account.

Alternatively (or for emergencies only), what about getting a credit card in your name and adding her as an additional cardholder? That won't create a financial association.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • colsten
    • By colsten 5th Jan 18, 2:21 PM
    • 8,765 Posts
    • 7,596 Thanks
    colsten
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:21 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:21 PM
    Not sure why it has to be a joint account but if it has to be, could the Yorkshire Building Society Cash Card Saver be an option? I believe there is no credit check for this account, and it doesn't show up n your credit files - - though you'd have to confirm with YBS that this is indeed the case.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 5th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 5,215 Posts
    • 9,920 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    What about child benefit? Where does that go? That is so irresponsible to leave your wife and children with no income whatsoever. She may be a stay at home mum but they are your children too. Suppose she ran out of money for food or fuel?

You are right in that if she has a bad credit record you would do better not linking to her financially as that may affect your ability to borrow at a reasonable rate but there are things you can do. She presumably has a basic account so why not do a monthly standing order so she has access to something or transfer money in just before you go away?
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • TRAGO1987
    • By TRAGO1987 5th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TRAGO1987
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    Who are you to question me! I do absolutely everything for her and my children. I transfer them money by standing order but I asked a question to if there is anything better or a bank that can have two debit cards.

Been in over 12 years and have 3 children and always put them first so I suggest you get back in your box.
    • Sparx
    • By Sparx 5th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    Sparx
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    Why can you not just transfer money each month when you are paid, to cover her and the kids for the whole month? You're not being a daft surely and just transferring a few bob as and when she needs to buy something?

Or an even easier method... Give her your login for internet banking, so she can transfer herself the money? I'm presuming you trust your own wife.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 5th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 4,343 Posts
    • 4,722 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    Where do you get the idea you can’t have two cards? A card each is the norm with a joint account.
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 5th Jan 18, 10:58 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    Where do you get the idea you canít have two cards? A card each is the norm with a joint account.
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    From the opening post, they don't seem to want a joint account for fear their partners credit history will destroy theirs.

Op, when you say "younger days", how long ago was it? Defaults are removed after 6 years.

Even if they're not removed yet, there may be little harm in opening a joint account as that will solve the issue.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 5th Jan 18, 11:14 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Or an even easier method... Give her your login for internet banking, so she can transfer herself the money? I'm presuming you trust your own wife.
    Originally posted by Sparx
    That would almost certainly violate the terms and conditions of the account so not a good idea.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 6th Jan 18, 12:22 AM
    • 24,055 Posts
    • 14,065 Thanks
    xylophone
    Your wife has a bank account.

You have a bank account.

Your salary is credited to your bank account once a month.

You work out how much your wife needs for a month and set up a SO to transfer that amount to her bank account on the day after payday each month.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 6th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 4,048 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    To be fair, I think we're all a bit confused as to your financial situation.

In your opening post you say 'my wife has no access to money' when you're away. But in later posts you say she has a bank account and that you transfer money to her by standing order.

Am I right in thinking that you mean she doesn't have access to large sums of money, over and above normal spending, in case of emergency?

There are several solutions -

- you could have a joint account so she has access to all available funds
    - you could have a credit card with her as the second card holder
    - you could increase the standing order above the level she needs for day-to-day living so that she can build up a savings pot.
    - she could go out to work and thus increase the overall household income and reduce her reliance on money coming from you.

Which of those is best in your circumstances is for you and her to decide.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 6th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 640 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    Just to echo what's already been said: no, you can't usually have two active cards on the same sole account. Probably the best solutions are to just create a joint account, or if that's really not an option get a credit card and add her as an additional cardholder.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 6th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 6,089 Posts
    • 6,116 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Just to echo what's already been said: no, you can't usually have two active cards on the same sole account.
    Originally posted by Flobberchops
    ....but some posts in this recent thread asking that same question suggest that a second cardholder on a sole account is possible as a 'third party' to accounts with NatWest and/or Lloyds.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 6th Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    • 5,215 Posts
    • 9,920 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Good afternoon all,

I am in the Armed Forces and my wife doesn't work she is a stay at home mum with the young children. Unfortunately she has a bad credit score from her younger days.
    My questions is when I am away she has no access to money and I was wondering what the best way to go was as I understand you are not allowed two debit cards for a current account.
    We are living in married quarters at the moment and wanting to save to buy our own house and I know of your financially connected her credit score could bring mine down.
    Cheers
    Maybe your OP should have been a bit clearer.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 6th Jan 18, 12:47 PM
    • 5,215 Posts
    • 9,920 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Who are you to question me! I do absolutely everything for her and my children. I transfer them money by standing order but I asked a question to if there is anything better or a bank that can have two debit cards.

Been in over 12 years and have 3 children and always put them first so I suggest you get back in your box.
    You asked a question with mixed information and I answered it. I cannot help it if you don't like the answer but from the tone of your response I will definitely "get back in my box".

Unsubscribed.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

256Posts Today

2,196Users online

Martin's Twitter