Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • michaels
    • By michaels 5th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    • 20,141Posts
    • 92,818Thanks
    michaels
    Advanced Credit Score Management Prior to Remortgage
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    Advanced Credit Score Management Prior to Remortgage 5th Jan 18 at 11:56 AM
    I am due to remortgage in about April so am sorting out my credit record now. It is generally clean but I am a little heavy on recent applications (telecoms, mobile and utility switches and credit card applications) and available (credit card limits) credit.

I tend to take advantage of Amex intro offers. Where I am currently in this cycle means I have several Amex on the go with a large overall credit limit.

Some I have now completed the intro offer and so could either close or reduce the credit limit to reduce my available credit or leave alone.

Reducing the credit limit might make it look like I was only offered a low limit.
    Closing in conjunction with the recent searches (some accounts have only been open a few months) might make it look like I applied but was turned down.
    Doing nothing leaves me with lots of available credit.

Which are mortgage lenders most likely to be concerned about?
    Cool heads and compromise
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 5th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 32,596 Posts
    • 17,547 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    Probably neither.

I'd leave well alone.

Unless you have a high loan to value and/or previous historic adverse most applications don't need such micro-management.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 5th Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    • 20,141 Posts
    • 92,818 Thanks
    michaels
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    Probably neither.

I'd leave well alone.

Unless you have a high loan to value and/or previous historic adverse most applications don't need such micro-management.
    Originally posted by kingstreet
    Thanks

I was slightly concerned as my most recent mse credit report had shown a small reduction in 'score' on the basis of having too much available (not utilized) credit.

Is it worth my while paying off the 0% car finance as it seems from the calculators that max mortgage borrowing is reduced by more than the outstanding finance amount. LTV is below 35% so that is not a factor.
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 5th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    • 56,700 Posts
    • 50,065 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    Lenders using their own internal scoring systems to assess your application. They obtain raw data sets from the CRA's and run algorithms across it. Being commercially sensitive their scoring methodology isn't published. Nor does it remain static.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 5th Jan 18, 3:30 PM
    • 32,596 Posts
    • 17,547 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:30 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:30 PM
    If your affordability is affected by having finance, simply note the finance is "to be repaid on or before completion" and this will satisfy most lenders.

There are only a couple who want something repaid at least three months before you apply, Santander and Platform. Otherwise they will continue to include them in affordability.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin