Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 5th Jan 18, 11:39 AM
    • 555Posts
    • 1,353Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Solicitor response times
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:39 AM
    Solicitor response times 5th Jan 18 at 11:39 AM
    We had an offer accepted on a property in early December and are currently going through the conveyancing process.

I emailed our solicitor yesterday morning with a number of queries related to the purchase but have not received a response. The majority of the questions I think our solicitor could probably answer immediately but there were a few which would require contact with the vendors solicitor first (mainly ones relating to issues flagged on the homebuyers report) so maybe she's waiting until she has the answer to all our queries before responding.

Is it reasonable of me to follow up with a phone call today re the more straightforward queries or would I risk heading into annoying PITA territory if I did?
Page 1
    • aneary
    • By aneary 5th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    • 861 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    aneary
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    Leave it till next week.

Your solicitor will have 80 other cases and will also be catching up after the Christmas break.
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 5th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    lika_86
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    Never ring for general questions on a Friday until after at least 2pm would be my advice. Most completions tend to happen on a Friday and so they will have more pressing things to deal with than general queries about your file.

As for chasing them up, I would definitely leave it more than a day to follow up, even for straightforward questions (especially if combined with ones that require input from the Vendor's solicitor). Also, remember that this is the first week back after Christmas and so people are probably still catching up on everything received over Christmas.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 5th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 555 Posts
    • 1,353 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    Thanks for the responses, I hadn't considered the fact they'd be working through the backlog of anything that came in over christmas.
    • Firsttimebuyers
    • By Firsttimebuyers 5th Jan 18, 11:54 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Firsttimebuyers
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:54 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:54 AM
    Our solicitors seem to take around a week to respond to a query - it's annoying, but then we know they'll be prioritising those due to exchange / complete imminently as they're further along the process than we are.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 5th Jan 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:39 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:39 PM
    Leave it till next week.

Your solicitor will have 80 other cases and will also be catching up after the Christmas break.
    Originally posted by aneary
    It would not be unusual for a solicitor to have 120/130 live cases.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 5th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    In my experience, it takes a week for them to read a letter or email. Then another week to respond, once they have all the relevant information to hand. Each 'simple' query could, in effect, take a month.

It isn't until you are at the point of exchanging/completing that there will be much communication from your solicitor.

Just keep in mind, that you are not a priority, as they have dozens of people exchanging/completing on the day you email your queries, and those people have to (and should do) take precedence.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 5th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 56,651 Posts
    • 50,041 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    (mainly ones relating to issues flagged on the homebuyers report)
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    Contact the vendors through the EA. It's what they are getting paid for.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 5th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    Our vendors, via their EA, and towards the end of the process directly, were a useful alternative for us to putting every query via our solicitors. We reserved solicitors queries for larger and clearly legal issues, then covered all the minor questions ourselves.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • G_M
    • By G_M 5th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 42,703 Posts
    • 49,867 Thanks
    G_M
    If the questtions are not show-stoppers or urgent, they will not get priority over other files being dealt with.

I's also common for solicitors to deal with all issues together rather than piecemeal. When your file reaches the top of the pile, or is escalated there for some urgent reason, he'll deal with everythibg. when he has answers to all the issues, he'll update you.

It's early days so there is no urgency. Unecessary phne calls just interfere with his day and delay everything/everyone.

The best lessson you can learn is patience.

Oh - and non legal matters should not go to the solicitor anyway....
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 5th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 4,334 Thanks
    lika_86
    he'll deal with everythibg. when he has answers to all the issues, he'll update you.
    Originally posted by G_M
    She, according to the OP.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 5th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    Margot123
    Originally posted by lika_86
    Ever thought of being a solicitor, you have an eye for detail? Perhaps you are already.......
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 5th Jan 18, 5:12 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 1,353 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Thanks for responding, nothing desperately urgent so I'll wait until next week.

The reason for contacting the solicitor rather than the EA re the homebuyers report is the surveyor's wording was:
    "I recommend you ask your Legal Advisers to investigate and report upon:.............
    Most of it would probably be covered by searches and the standard conveyancing processes though so we're not unduly worried.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 5th Jan 18, 6:28 PM
    • 6,485 Posts
    • 6,377 Thanks
    davidmcn
    The reason for contacting the solicitor rather than the EA re the homebuyers report is the surveyor's wording was:
    "I recommend you ask your Legal Advisers to investigate and report upon:.............
    Most of it would probably be covered by searches and the standard conveyancing processes though so we're not unduly worried.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    It's almost certainly stuff they'll be doing by default anyway.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 5th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 42,703 Posts
    • 49,867 Thanks
    G_M
    Originally posted by lika_86
    Oh well, in that case ignore my entire post.

She should be perfectly able to multi-task so should respond to your queries the same day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

483Posts Today

4,577Users online

Martin's Twitter