Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulharding150
    • By paulharding150 5th Jan 18, 10:04 AM
    • 89Posts
    • 88Thanks
    paulharding150
    Lloyds AMEX v BA AMEX
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:04 AM
    Lloyds AMEX v BA AMEX 5th Jan 18 at 10:04 AM
    Hi,

I currently have the Lloyds Bank Avios Duo credit card (A MasterCard and an AMEX linked to one account).

Iíve seen a lot of adverts for the BA Amex card.

The big plus I can see from BAís card is the ability to earn 5,000 bonus Avios if I spend £1,000 in the first three months.

Lloyds pay 1.25 Avios points for every pound spent (Iím sure it used to be 1 for 1), and there are some for the linked MasterCard for those shops that donít accept AMEX.

BA pay 1 for 1.

Interest rates arenít really a factor for me as I usually pay the whole balance off within a month.

Am I missing any extra features about BAís Amex Card?

Lloyds: https://www.lloydsbank.com/credit-cards/avios-rewards.asp
    BA: https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/compare-avios-credit-cards/index.html?sourcecode=MULT000663&cpid=100274651
    The campaign against overpowering signatures
Page 1
    • keith969
    • By keith969 5th Jan 18, 10:13 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    keith969
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:13 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:13 AM
    If you spend 10K+ a year, the BA Premium Plus is the one to go for as you get a 2 for 1 voucher (means you can book a ticket any class and get a companion ticket same class for free, this is amazing if you have enough avios to book e.g. club class). You also get 1.5 avios to the £ and 3 for every £ spent with BA.

The annual fee is a bit steep now (when it first came out, if you also had a green card you could get it for nothing) so its only worth it if you do that sort of spend - I used to book all my work flights on it so it was a no brainer.
    Heaven wasn't built in a day
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 5th Jan 18, 7:49 PM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:49 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:49 PM
    As above, but you need to decide whether the Lloyds upgrade voucher is a better benefit for you vs the BA 2-4-1.

The other benefit of the Lloyds cards is that foreign purchases are fee-free.

The Lloyds MasterCard gives a really poor return and you're better off using another cashback card for UK purchases. It's remains a good choice for foreign spending.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 5th Jan 18, 10:56 PM
    • 2,318 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    zerog
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:56 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:56 PM
    I currently have the Lloyds Bank Avios Duo credit card

Lloyds pay 1.25 Avios points for every pound spent (I’m sure it used to be 1 for 1),
    Originally posted by paulharding150

These are two different Lloyds products.

The Lloyds (TSB) Avios Duo cards pay 1 avios per £. These were closed to new applications at the end of 2013 shortly after Lloyds and TSB split.

The Duo cards were replaced with the Lloyds Avios Rewards cards, which earn 1.25 avios per £, but existing customers were not moved to the new product.

So if you have the Avios Duo cards and you did not ask to transfer them to the Avios Rewards cards, you will still be earning 1 Avios per £.

If you spend 10K+ a year, the BA Premium Plus is the one to go for as you get a 2 for 1 voucher (means you can book a ticket any class and get a companion ticket same class for free,
    Originally posted by keith969
    Taxes and charges are still payable on the companion ticket. The taxes are transparent, but the "charges" are basically random numbers made up by BA.

If you use the 2-4-1 voucher for long-haul business class, the taxes and charges will be around £500-£700 per person, of which £150 goes to the UK government unless you start in Inverness or Jersey, and around £50 goes to Heathrow, and smaller amounts to the government and airports of your destination. The rest is just BA introducing sneaky charges.

This doesn't make it a bad deal, but hardly *free*. And seats on the most popular/valuable routes are particularly difficult to get, requiring you to phone the Japanese call centre at midnight GMT (i.e. 1am during summer time) 355 days prior to the date you want to fly outbound, and repeating the process plus paying £35 to change the ticket 355 days prior to the day you want to fly the inbound. If you don't do this, someone else will and then you will have to use the voucher on an economy flight to Paris or something that isn't very good value.
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 5th Jan 18, 11:09 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 3,135 Thanks
    phatbear
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:09 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:09 PM
    Or go for a starwood preferred guest amex which will give you 10000 starwood points, which are convertable at a rate of 1:1 with ba exec and virgin etc etc.

There is a £75 fee but this is refundable on a pro-rata basis so if you spend the £1000 in a month the points will only cost you £6.25.

Also dont forget the potential of cashback from topcashback etc which is currently £15 for the Starwood card.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,354Posts Today

8,703Users online

Martin's Twitter