Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redmalc
    • By redmalc 5th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    • 1,262Posts
    • 477Thanks
    redmalc
    ceiling Light Pendant not working
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    ceiling Light Pendant not working 5th Jan 18 at 9:15 AM
    Morning any ideas for my problem,in the living room we have two light pendants working of the same switch and came home last night and switched the lights on and one of them went bang and stopped working but the other is fine.
    Electrician required or could it be something easy that i could look at the pendants have been up for six years and never been an issue other than changing the odd bulb.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 5th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    Bulbs do sometimes blow; I assume you've changed the bulb and it's still not working, otherwise that's your first obvious step
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 5th Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    • 2,874 Posts
    • 1,779 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    That depends on how confident you are with electrics. I assume you have tried another bulb.

If the other light is still working, the most likely thing is that a wire has come adrift either in the pendant or in the ceiling rose.

Turn the power off (not just at the light switch, as there may be live mains in the ceiling rose). Try unscrewing the top of the pendant and looking in there. Try unscrewing the rose and look in there for any stray wires.

If a wire has snapped, then you should be able to chop the ends off the live and neutral and re-terminate them.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • redmalc
    • By redmalc 5th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    redmalc
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    Sorry i forgot to mention the pendant as six lights on it and all the lot just stopped working
    • GrumpyDil
    • By GrumpyDil 5th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    GrumpyDil
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    In which case I would guess a loose or damaged wire. Fix should probably be quite straightforward but if you are not confident with electrics then get someone who is to check for you. Better than frying yourself or causing other problems.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,256Posts Today

8,661Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Of course but this question is about the specific "ladies first" rule. Ie a man giving a seat because it's a lady n? https://t.co/FBmEfwnHNM

• Today's twitter poll: Traditional manners have/had the concept of "ladies first". Is that compatible with gender eq? https://t.co/Qk4bC3pHjk

• RT @helwid87: @MartinSLewis Thankyou for your student loan refund advice. My £617 refund came through yesterday, making January less of a t?

• Follow Martin