Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melb
    • By melb 5th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 2,530Posts
    • 950Thanks
    melb
    Schedule of condition of property
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    Schedule of condition of property 5th Jan 18 at 9:11 AM
    Hi there does anyone have experience of cost of a surveyor to carry out the above on an average 3 storey Victorian 4 bed semi detached in Yorkshire to ascertain condition before an extension is being built next door.

We are building the extension on our detached house next door and the PWA doesn't apply.

As we have a vexatious neighbour, we are keen to establish the condition of her house before we start work to avoid any potential spurious claims.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Furts
    • By Furts 5th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 3,720 Posts
    • 2,342 Thanks
    Furts
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    Your extension will need foundations and these are subject to the PWA within depths and distances as given in the PWA. The fact that you are detached is irrelevant.

However, if you are outside these areas then the reasoning is no damage is going to occur. Similarly there would be room for scaffolding for your extension.

Hence I am puzzled by your post. Over to you to enlighten us all.
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 5th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 2,540 Posts
    • 2,741 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    Is your neighbour willing to allow your surveyor access to her property ?
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 5th Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 761 Thanks
    teneighty
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    As Furts said it sounds pointless but if you are determined to go ahead with it you only need a schedule of condition for those parts of the building immediately adjacent to the works.

So it would be something in the region of £250 to £500 plus VAT.

Alternatively you could just do your own photographic schedule and share a copy with the neighbour but photographs are very difficult to capture hairline cracks and minor defects so a written schedule gives more peace of mind.
    • melb
    • By melb 6th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    melb
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    hi and thanks for all replies. No PWA is necessary due to the distance between the houses, thankfully. The vexatious neighbour has acted true to form and is claiming damage to her fence - luckily I did a short video on my phone back in October of it swaying in the wind and banging against our fence, but she is claiming the damage has been done by our works. I know how petty that sounds, but I knew she would be waiting for our work to start to claim damage. She doesn't know i have this vide.

interestingly our own fence which is right by where the foundations have been dug is undamaged!

We asked the surveyor for his fees before he started but he was unable to give us a price and we are a little shocked that his charges are £500 plus VAT. This is for 10 hours work he says. We were also rather disappointed that despite her fence swaying while he was doing his measurements, he described it as in satisfactory condition in his report, just saying that a couple of fence posts were loose, and has suggested to us that we might get our builder to go round and fix it for her. don't think so.

Also despite a week's notice of the start of building work, he turned up 2 hours after it had started so as he states this fact in his report, it would probably not provide much protection for us should we need it.

he initially quoted us £2,500 plus VAT for project managing the whole thing so we just thought as a proportion £500 seemed a little high
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,680Posts Today

8,290Users online

Martin's Twitter