Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Jan 18, 5:39 AM
    • 1,226Posts
    • 11,271Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Friday 5th January 2018
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:39 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 5th January 2018 5th Jan 18 at 5:39 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 5th Jan 18, 5:47 AM
    • 1,226 Posts
    • 11,271 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:47 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:47 AM
    Morning everyone

Iíve been awake since 3.00am and now feel exhausted. Iíve spent the time reading and have just finished my book so thought I would look at a few things on the internet rather than start a new book.

Usually I donít mind the quietness of the night and curl up on the sofa when I canít sleep but for some reason the silence outside left me feeling a bit unsettled, I donít know why. So Iíve had the tv on low for some background noise.

Iíve decided that I need to do some dusting today and try and give the bathroom a good clean. When Iíve finished that I want to have a wander up to the town and get a birthday present for a neighbour. It is her birthday on Saturday and I have been invited over for afternoon tea.

Other than that I donít have any plans for today, probably a nap at some point. Iíll just see what the day brings.

Hugs to all of you that are unwell, and those with troubles/problems.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 5th Jan 18, 6:14 AM
    • 15,609 Posts
    • 65,329 Thanks
    Judi
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:14 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:14 AM
    Good morning all and thanks Holly for starting the thread.

Not much to do in the house today but I have Diva for a few hours this morning.

Grump will home this evening so ill be cooking the ceremonial roast. He does miss home cooked food whilst hes away.

Youngest is suffering from the flu....he didn't have the flu jab like I suggested cause he couldn't be bothered. Hes regretting it now though.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 5th Jan 18, 6:51 AM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 39,975 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:51 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:51 AM
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was lamb casserole, mash and veg - very nice it was too, a portion left in the fridge, will slice up some peeled potatoes to go on top and put it in a freezer box and take it round for dad. I bought some beef yesterday too, that's in the freezer, that will become a slow cooker meal or maybe a beef, red wine and mushroom pie. I did pick up a few bits in the SM yesterday - mainly items that I needed to get today but they were on offer at the other SM. I was trying to find some suitable soft drink, ie, squash/juice that would be suitable for mum - she's diabetic and obviously in recovery after her massive bleed to the brain. On that note, had a very good visit yesterday, she had a therapy session yesterday, she walked a bit with someone each side holding her hands, then had to write on a whiteboard whilst standing, and did some other writing type tasks, also made her stand and throw a balloon back and forwards between her and a therapist, then they gave her a jigsaw to do so she was enjoying that, so positive but it highlights where the damage is, her left side is where she has the weakness, and it's likely that although it may improve she won't get full use back in that side the damage could be permanent. But we're in such a different place than where we thought we'd be last weekend, we're just taking it day by day, it's going to be a long old haul. Youngest is going to visit today, it's the first time for him and he's apprehensive about it, so we've not pushed and if he changes his mind that's fine too.

Yesterday I didn't get quite as much done at home as I'd wanted too, but I did get several loads of washing and drying done, stripped our bed and put clean bed linen on, felt so lovely last night as the bed linen is new too and was quite expensive. I need to shove the hoover round too. Was writing a shopping list and menu plan, ready for shopping today.

So on to today -

I'll be shopping first thing, then home to pack shopping away, more washing and drying, then quick lunch and going back to the hospital. I'll have in mind what we're eating tonight before I go as it helped greatly have a slow cooker meal all ready when I get back yesterday I'd prepped the veg too.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 5th Jan 18, 6:54 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:54 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:54 AM
    Good morning all, thanks Holly for starting off.

I've been awake since 4.00am, and finally got up at 5.15. I wish I could sleep longer,the trouble is once I've woken up I start thinking and worrying about stuff, thoughts go round and round, till you're wide awake. Lots of us on here seem to have the same problem.

There's a heavy frost out there this morning brrr. I hope it's going to be a better day than yesterday - pouring rain most of the time, and so cold and dark - we had the lights on from mid afternoon.
    Dgd came for the afternoon, and livened us up a bit, she's at a lovely age, nearly 5.

Today I've got a parcel to post - i ordered a duvet cover from Wa*fair, and when it came it was lovely, nice quality and beautiful muted floral pattern, but it wasn't the pale grey that I thought it was, it was nearer green, so that will have to go back.

We're trying to live out of the freezer at the moment, so I'll try and conjure something cheap, nourishing and tasty. I keep a freezer inventory, so I'll study that, see what I can do. There seems to be an awful lot of mince in there, better use some of that.

Healing thoughts to all the poorly people and their families.
    Have a good day folks, and keep warm.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 5th Jan 18, 6:56 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:56 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 6:56 AM
    Popping back to say glad your Mum has picked up a bit Nmlc, it will ease your mind a little, though I know she's still poorly.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 5th Jan 18, 7:10 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:10 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:10 AM
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off Holly

Gintot what a horrible thing to have happened

Specky I prefer clean shaven. A neighbour has a huge messy beard but not a single hair on his head, looks odd.

nmlc good to hear your mum is improving

Still dark out, hoping for a dry day so I can get the laundry on the line, don't have a tumble dryer and I hate lots of damp stuff hanging about.
    Eating out of the freezer, how did I get so much food? Have made a meal plan for the next week so hopefully that will remind me to take things out of the freezer to defrost.

Hope you all have a good day
    Last edited by silver-oldie; 05-01-2018 at 7:24 AM.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 5th Jan 18, 7:17 AM
    • 6,542 Posts
    • 90,720 Thanks
    redruby
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:17 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:17 AM
    Morning all

Lashing with rain here it seems like its been raining for weeks, I wish we could have a cold dry snap to dry everything out a bit.

Work is so quiet atm what with the terrible weather and building work going on people are just not visiting, its a struggle to find something for the clients to do everyday, soup making is on the cards atm.

Man in coming to finish the grout off tomorrow morning then we have some new sockets and light switches to put up, and I have to paint the skirting board and put some filler in one place and then paint it, we need to put a threshold between the lounge and kitchen and then we are finished, we will hopefully get this all dome tomorrow and then that's that room finished.

Takeaway and wine tonight I love Fridays !

Gintot how awful for you, so glad you are all ok though xx

Speky I much prefer a clean shaven man, beards always make me wonder what germs and bacteria are lurking in all that hair

NMLC glad there is some improvement in your mum xx

Have good days all xx
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 5th Jan 18, 7:42 AM
    • 18,989 Posts
    • 85,080 Thanks
    pipkin71
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:42 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:42 AM
    Morning all.

Raining here as well, this morning.

Both daughters are in work so I have been pottering about, preparing ingredients for tonight's tea, which youngest will help with once she gets back.

I've made some flapjacks, which are in the oven now so they will enjoy those once they're home.

Bathrooms need a going over this morning and a wash needs putting in the machine but apart from that, nothing much needs doing today
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 5th Jan 18, 7:45 AM
    • 3,748 Posts
    • 23,516 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Morning folks. Just read back over yesterday's thread as I never got back on again all day.

NMLC pleased your mum is doing as well as she can. GINTOT what a horrible thing to happen. No wonder you can't sleep - (HUGS) NANNYWINDOW (HUGS) for you too, You have enough to worry about without your dad and neighbour upsetting you. Here's to a peaceful day for you today.

I know you must be fed up of my moaning but I am still coughing and choking to the point of making myself sick.My temp is up and down and all I want to do is curl up on the sofa under my cosy fleece all day. So that is just what I am doing as I haven't the energy to do anything else. The house is a disgrace and I really am past caring. At least the tree and other stuff got taken down and boxed up t'other day and that's awaiting a trip up into the loft.

Have a good day folks and many ((HUGS)) for the poorlies, sad or worried who want them. Take care all xxx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 5th Jan 18, 8:55 AM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 21,752 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning all,

So glad that things are a tad more positive with your Mum nmlc as you say compared to last week.
    Ginto that is a horrible thing to happen, hugs.
    Am sorry that you still feel rough TA blow the housework, it doesn't matter.
    Another vote here for clean shaven Speky always think a beard makes a man look older?

It's just started raining again, sick of it now and the fields are still sodden, it is meant to get colder but drier over the next few days, let's hope they are right.
    Off to look at a possible new home for Lulu this morning, whilst I was at the yard yesterday three of the horses left for pastures new, by all accounts the owner is now regretting his hasty decision but too late now. He is a volatile person with bad mood swings and we have all learnt to keep out of his way, appalling really for a businessman

Other than that it's housework, bed and towel changing so have warned the WM
    The turkey and ham pie was yummy even if I do say so myself, tonight it may well be fish and chips takeaway as my beloved has a hankering, who am I to argue!

Have a good day folks x
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 5th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    • 1,833 Posts
    • 17,403 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you eed one.

Yesterday was a slightly better day. OH spent most of it asleep, but thankfully for me he did sleep last night too. Dr came, he has to go on a low salt diet, he is back on the old tablets for his vertigo for a coupe of days, he is still complaining he is dizzy though, it could take a few days to wear off. I managed to get a bit of food into him and also some drink, changed from water to lemonade which went down better.

Cleaners here this morning, so a quick pick up of things, will ask them just to hoover the bedroom carpet, no point trying to dust the chests etc, the tops have trays with stuff on.

I need to nip up to the post office and draw some cash, my friend delivered the shopping yesterday, so I am out of cash right now.

I am going to have to tax my brain to come up with low salt alternatives, stock cubes are out for a start, so any suggestions welcome. I can use red and white wine to cook meat and fish in and use the liquor in sauce, but unless I can find a low salt cheese, thats out, anything tinned will have to be closely inspected for salt content. I want to get a couple of jellies, he can have them with fruit in.

I have a feeling there is someone on here that suffers with vertigo, would like to know how you cope, this attack seems to be hanging around quite a long time.

Right, off to start my day........
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 5th Jan 18, 9:21 AM
    • 12,285 Posts
    • 37,174 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

Maybe just me hoping but it seemed to get lighter earlier today

I was pretty impressed with the fencing company yesterday they came to look at it at 10 and said they would fit me in next week ...I am ashamed to say I pulled the "poor girl on her own scared to sleep with the back garden open" story and they were back to fit it by 2 so thats another job off the list.

Cracked on well with the paper mountain too and sorted some niggly jobs. Managed to get Dads credit card cancelled at last with a well placed complaint to the bank. It really was bad for mum to keep getting mail about it having a credit on that he should spend Anyway they have assured me its cancelled and the credit from Dads car insurance returned to mums account. I rang her to tell her she was over £500 richer from this weeks work ....her comment "I don't care its only money means nothing to me " Great so all these hours have been for nothing then ...so frustrating.

Still some bits of paper to do today then its on to the house clean. Need to stick my head in the freezer for inspiration ...could also do with updating the freezer inventory this weekend ..lots of things have been shoved in lately so need to get back organised.

TA sorry to hear you are still unwell
    Gintot hope you got some sleep
    nannyhave a lovely day

Have a lovely day all
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 5th Jan 18, 9:44 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 2,894 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all
    Rain here again in Essex wish we could just have a little ray of sunshine. I will be going into to town to pick something up from amazon locker and to pay some cheques in . need to do some washing but will have to use the tumbler . Dinner tonight is hm lasagne
    Hugs to all those who need one and extra strength to those who need some
    Have a great day whatever you are up to
    • Judi
    • By Judi 5th Jan 18, 9:56 AM
    • 15,609 Posts
    • 65,329 Thanks
    Judi
    Specky I prefer clean shaven. A neighbour has a huge messy beard but not a single hair on his head, looks odd.
    Throw a tiny pony tail into the mix.

My StepFather had a huge handlebar moustache. Looked good on him but oh my life! 'P' the ex hells angel had no hair on his head apart from a tiny pony tail that was plaited and a long zz top beard.... looked funny but you wouldnt want to cross him. He drove a micro car too in the winter as he was a biker but didnt like to get wet.

Nmlc so pleased your Mum is improving.

Nelski how ungrateful.

TA isnt a raised temperature a sign of an infection?

My plans have changed. Daughter is housebound. Her car wont start. I'll go and have a bath i think.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Jan 18, 10:16 AM
    • 15,435 Posts
    • 129,743 Thanks
    JackieO
    Me too for the clean shaven look Speky My late OH once grew a small beard and I hated it and my DD who was a baby then used to yell the place down if he picked her up .

My eldest grandson grew one a couple of years ago but its a tiny hardly see it one he grew it to make himself look older as he is quite baby faced ,I have got used to it now but at the time I wasn't impressed I think they are a bit like a hedge ,need lots of upkeep to keep them tidy I much prefer smooth shaven though.

Cats and dogs chucking it down with rain at the moment and the sky is looking very dark and grim I'm quite glad I have no need to go out today.

Had a good stocktake of my food supplies yesterday and apart from fresh fruit and veg I think I can easily live on what I have in store at the moment for at least most of January and well into February So I'm very pleased with that.

DGS Ben is off back to Uni next week and I have even found him some surplus tins he can take with him to help streetch his grant out.

<hugs> to all in need and Nelski it is getting slightly lighter by about two minutes a day I believe roll on spring and the daffodils and a bit of sunshine

Take care all and keep warm and dry

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 5th Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    • 3,333 Posts
    • 40,230 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Holly sorry you aren't sleeping well.
    Hugs to those in need especially nmlc, ginto, TA and Csarina.

I struggle to achieve anything when CHS is on lates, this morning I've cooked his breakfast and cut his hair. Last night's tea was ruined, most of it went in the bin. I put it on a low heat when I went to collect him. But his boss decided to stay late so he had to stay too. It infuriates me as his start time is dictated by his finish time, he was supposed to be working 11 - 7, but ended up working until 8.
    By the time we got home tea was burned and it was too late to eat.

Rant over!

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 5th Jan 18, 10:43 AM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 18,959 Thanks
    snoozer
    Hello - I'm all over the place at the moment, going to bed late and then being revved up so not getting to sleep and waking late feeling hungover (not a drinker). We must get into a better pattern when DD and SiL go today I don't want DH's retirement to be like this, it wastes so much of the day.

We want to take the pup for a decent walk now the rain has finally stopped. It's been the most horrible weather this week, especially yesterday.

SiL is trying to finalise his severance payment with the company who let him go before Christmas, it will be a relief when it's done.

I hope everyone who is worried, sad or ill feels better today.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 5th Jan 18, 11:47 AM
    • 3,633 Posts
    • 42,521 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Evening everyone, well it is here!

That's the holiday over, will be getting up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to fly home. My first plane leaves here at 10.15am, two 8 hour flights with an hour and a half in Dubai and I get home at 7pm, I think my body may be a little confused!

Sorry to hear so many of you are having a rough time, hope everything improves for you soon.

I'm trying to squeeze some heat and sunshine into my case, take care. Xx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 5th Jan 18, 11:58 AM
    • 6,026 Posts
    • 36,411 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning everyone.

Early on my plans changed too - DM emailed to say 'don't bother coming down'. She worries about the dreadful rain and wind even though I tell her that I'm not actually walking! However, I was mighty happy to stay here.

Beards...not my pleasure. Have a read of this from Edward Lear.

Washing machine is on, dishwasher emptied, tomatoes roasting in the oven and logs brought in for the day. I've ordered a couple of those big blue I kea bags so I can bring in more logs each time. The cards are down and in the recycling bin.

I'm expecting a new Bob Skinner book today I have loads of books just crying out to be read so I feel a tad guilty.

Gintot - what a dreadful thing to happen to you and your family, I hope the culprits are found. It's not the physical possessions it's the emotional pain which hits hardest.

Sorry to read that so many of us are facing bad sleep patterns. I have nothing to offer except sympathy which isn't much practical use. How about lavender on the pillow? When I find dropping off difficult (not that often) I do the 4-7-8 breathing thing. In for four seconds through the nose, hold for seven seconds and breathe out for eight through the mouth. Of course, it could be a placebo but it helps me. Not medical advice and no scientific evidence of its efficacy!

Now I wish everyone a happy Friday and hope that things get better all round.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,819Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin