Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • empacher
    • By empacher 4th Jan 18, 11:19 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    empacher
    Smart parking invoice
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:19 PM
    Smart parking invoice 4th Jan 18 at 11:19 PM
    Hi I know there has been much written about this company but my advice needed is slightly different.
    Smart parking now run their photo cameras at our local hospital. They state on their signs if you have an appointment enter your reg no at the main desk at the hospital. My husband dropped something off at the hospital and did not enter his reg number as he did not have an appointment. Of course we then get a smart parking invoice for £60 for the pleasure. I did appeal with them and since November have heard nothing. Yesterday I got a letter from the DRP informing me my charge is now £160. The hosital now have signs up as Smart parking have issued fines to so many people (mostly wrongfully) they are unwilling to help.
    Today I have emailed the CEO of Smart parking coping the CEO of the british parking association. Smart parking have yet to come back to me but the british parking assosication have said they are very busy reviewing these companies..!?
    I have also been in touch with the hospital trust to find out why they are still using this company when there have been so many issues. The doctors surgery nearby has just stopped the Smart parking contract due to these nightmares.

I now am waiting as to what will happen next. I have logged into the smart parking site to see how to pay (not that I am going to) it says I can't at this time. Maybe they are reviewing it.

I probably did lots of things wrong but I am not willing and won't pay £160 to a company for dropping something off in a free car park.

If this company seemed respectable and 'smart' I would be concerned but their masses of mistakes and lack of organisation makes me sleep more easily. Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by empacher; 04-01-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Page 1
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 4th Jan 18, 11:23 PM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:23 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:23 PM
    Hi, and welcome to the forum ....

the quickest way to answer your questions is to ask you to read through the newbies thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

that will explain most things ... come back if you still need advice ....

oh and while you do this reading up

complain to PALS at the hospital ...

good luck

Ralph
    • Redx
    • By Redx 4th Jan 18, 11:25 PM
    • 17,145 Posts
    • 21,419 Thanks
    Redx
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:25 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:25 PM
    tell us how long the alleged "overstay" was , because "dropping off" is just a few minutes and should be less than 10 minutes , you should have elaborated on this point in the story

you were correct to appeal it to smart and they should have cancelled it or issued a popla code

a complaint should have been made by yourself to PALS and get the trust to cancel it , especially if it was under 10 minutes stay on site ( due to the BPA CoP clause #13)

if the "dropping off" meant half an hour on site then it is parking

if the driver did not see the signs about registering at reception then it failed lord dennings red hand rule, the signs should be crystal clear as to what a driver must do , from their seat in the vehicle

so poor and inadequate signage may play a part here , as may grace periods

so the alleged time on site is important here

but a PALS cancellaltion is your best bet and they have a DUTY to do so , as do the trust , see the guidelines here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles

and IGNORE drp , they are powerless
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 4th Jan 18, 11:31 PM
    • 40,705 Posts
    • 81,291 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:31 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:31 PM
    Please also help us by complaining to WHICH magazine who are currently looking for a new cause to fight.

Information and a link to WHICH can be found on this thread.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5765579
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • empacher
    • By empacher 8th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    empacher
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    Good News
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    Thanks for your feedback. Good news I had my fine dropped by smart parking.
    I have to say it was because I got intouch with the British parking association and made lots of noise about it.
    After speaking with a friend of mine who is a court judge I did not hold out much hope as these private parking companies are so well covered. I was lucky. Sometimes going to conventional route is not the best way. These companies have zero empathy. They are not keeping their customers happy either as I know some super markets have lost business due to these camaras,
    I am afraid many people will not be so lucky
    Last edited by empacher; 08-01-2018 at 7:21 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,104Posts Today

7,643Users online

Martin's Twitter