Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rwcwilson
    • By rwcwilson 4th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 18Thanks
    rwcwilson
    FTB would like some advice on new build
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    FTB would like some advice on new build 4th Jan 18 at 10:17 PM
    Hi,

Just wanted an opinion on this house please

right move property-56613349 (sorry can't post the full link)

Looks like a brilliant house in a nice area. It seems to be the nicest plot out of the four houses (the other three have sold without issue), has the largest garden and prefer the front layout. We are looking at viewing it this weekend (if possible, the development was supposed to be finished in May 2017, though google street view from July 2017 shows them still under construction) but would like to ask the right questions to the estate agent as I have a few concerns.

1) Price seems a bit high for the area but there is a huge range of prices within a small area for a semi-detached of similar size. Some significantly more expensive, some significantly less.
    2) The price history of the listing makes me wonder about whether the developers haven't managed the development very well, in regards to finances. It was initially listed at £320,000 in October 2016, the price increased to 345,000 in June 2017. It was sold in October 2017 but the sale must have fallen through as it was relisted in November at £355,000. The price was increased today to £370,000. I know that as houses are released on a development the prices tend to increase with each plot but it seems a bit strange that this house has gone up by £50,000.
    3) The developer is an unknown developer. I asked when I first looked at the properties a year ago and hadn't heard of them, I did write the name down at the time but have since misplaced that piece of paper. I will ask for their name again tomorrow when I call the agent. Obviously, it would be helpful if we can view the house, any clues to look out for to determine the quality of the build?

Do you think there would be any scope for getting the price back down to close to £320,000? Especially as it has been listed for a while and its the last plot. The other houses sold for between 320,000 and 355,000.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

EDIT: I guess just to add to point 2. The thing I'm finding hard to understand, especially as we are also looking at older houses, is that with non-new builds the general trend is if its struggling to sell/the longer its been on the market then the price will likely be reduced not increased!
    Last edited by rwcwilson; 04-01-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 5th Jan 18, 12:19 AM
    • 3,526 Posts
    • 4,880 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:19 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:19 AM
    This one? http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56613349.html
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 5th Jan 18, 12:32 AM
    • 3,526 Posts
    • 4,880 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:32 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:32 AM
    Is that the plot where the garden backs onto the pub carpark?
    • franklee
    • By franklee 5th Jan 18, 12:45 AM
    • 3,564 Posts
    • 3,783 Thanks
    franklee
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:45 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:45 AM
    Ghastly bathroom, how do you reach the bath taps
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 5th Jan 18, 8:21 AM
    • 755 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:21 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:21 AM
    It looks nice at the front, but even inside from the floor plan it all looks a bit cramped.
    Have you done an area search on the location? Have you been there at differing times of the day?
    The only way you can see if there's a reduction to be had, is to put it forward. If something in your gut says no, then go with that gut feeling.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • rwcwilson
    • By rwcwilson 5th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    rwcwilson
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    Is that the plot where the garden backs onto the pub carpark?
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    No thankfully, its the one on the far left in the picture of the development.
    You can see the plot better in this picture
    rightmove property-36952881 (this is when they sold the land with planning permission)

Ghastly bathroom, how do you reach the bath taps
    Originally posted by franklee
    Haha didn't notice that, very eagle eyed. Hopefully they haven't actually done that.... Though worst comes to worst I guess you just have to climb into the bath to turn on the taps :'D

It looks nice at the front, but even inside from the floor plan it all looks a bit cramped.
    Have you done an area search on the location? Have you been there at differing times of the day?
    The only way you can see if there's a reduction to be had, is to put it forward. If something in your gut says no, then go with that gut feeling.
    Originally posted by goodwithsaving
    Yeh I guess that's the downside of many new builds. We'll have a look round and see what its like. If we really like it we'll do a second viewing at a different time of day and day of the week; explore the local area a bit more too. Yes I guess we'll just have to talk to the agent about it, I just can't my head round why they are increasing the price so much, unless they are finishing more of the interior and are going for a higher quality finish to attract buyers??
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 5th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    • 6,533 Posts
    • 6,435 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    Their builder's very excited about it!

https://goo.gl/maps/azJHKC6eVYx
    • rwcwilson
    • By rwcwilson 5th Jan 18, 9:49 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    rwcwilson
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:49 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:49 AM
    Haha I know I saw that too
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 5th Jan 18, 9:50 AM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 4,394 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:50 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:50 AM
    It's too cramped for me and I live alone! If you really like it, see if they will put taps and shower at the opposite end of the bath. That mock up would drive me crazy.
    • rwcwilson
    • By rwcwilson 5th Jan 18, 9:57 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    rwcwilson
    It's too cramped for me and I live alone! If you really like it, see if they will put taps and shower at the opposite end of the bath. That mock up would drive me crazy.
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    What makes you say its cramped? I suspect there will be some trickery in the floorplan but there seems to be a reasonable amount of space in each room. The master bedroom looks massive. I guess when we view it we'll get a more realistic impression.
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 5th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 8,902 Thanks
    nimbo
    It’s less about turning the taps on and getting wet feet. If they ever need and tightening how do you access them? We had a bathroom with a similar lay out in a rented house and the wall had to be knocked through. (Internal one) to stop the bloody things leaking.

It’d potentially cost you a bath panel each time....

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 5th Jan 18, 10:19 AM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 4,394 Thanks
    bouicca21
    The master bedroom is not massive but it is a decent size - if those measurements are accurate. It would not surprise me to discover that they are taken from the widest points of the room. Ditto the lounge measurements which I suspect include the bay.
    • rwcwilson
    • By rwcwilson 5th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    rwcwilson
    It’s less about turning the taps on and getting wet feet. If they ever need and tightening how do you access them? We had a bathroom with a similar lay out in a rented house and the wall had to be knocked through. (Internal one) to stop the bloody things leaking.

It’d potentially cost you a bath panel each time....
    Thanks for pointing that out, hadn't thought about that. I've called the estate agent, it is completed so will be little room for changing whatever they decided to go with.

The master bedroom is not massive but it is a decent size - if those measurements are accurate. It would not surprise me to discover that they are taken from the widest points of the room. Ditto the lounge measurements which I suspect include the bay.
    Guess its massive for us as we have a tiny bedroom at the moment :/ Anyway, we're looking round tomorrow and will update with the results.

On a separate note on asking why the house went up by £15,000 the estate agent just said "the developers had decided it was worth more" Guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    • xsor
    • By xsor 5th Jan 18, 11:20 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    xsor
    Yeah, if they sold out really quick, they will try to increase the price.

Now that they probably have a few that has completed or exchanged, they're probably not in a rush for money, and will try their luck with selling their last for the highest they can get.

I'd ask the total sqm for the place, and just try and work out what others are selling for, and then offer them? Really depends if they are getting any other offers in..
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 5th Jan 18, 5:53 PM
    • 3,526 Posts
    • 4,880 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I think you are going to find that there is a parking problem. On the marketing photo it implies that you can get a car down the side of the house but I think from the actual street view of that house that the gap between the house and the wall on the boundary of the one next door will make it too narrow for you to open the car doors if you can even get a car in there.

The front garden is also shorter than the ones on the right so it is possible that you won't get a car on the front garden either. You will need to check.
    • rwcwilson
    • By rwcwilson 5th Jan 18, 5:59 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    rwcwilson
    I think you are going to find that there is a parking problem. On the marketing photo it implies that you can get a car down the side of the house but I think from the actual street view of that house that the gap between the house and the wall on the boundary of the one next door will make it too narrow for you to open the car doors if you can even get a car in there.

The front garden is also shorter than the ones on the right so it is possible that you won't get a car on the front garden either. You will need to check.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    Will do. It does look quite narrow on street view. I'll see if my car fits tomorrow when we view. I can see parking being an issue if we can't park off-street as the road already looks saturated with parked cars. We have a scirocco and a C1, so the latter might be able to squeeze in front of the house but that would make things very crowded (also doesn't help if we get a bigger car in the future). I would like to get an electric/plug in hybrid at some point in the future so off street parking is a must.

I still think its worth looking at but the more you guys point things out and the more I think about it I don't think this house is going to be the one.
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 5th Jan 18, 7:31 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 3,834 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Is it freehold or leasehold? Is there ground rent or weird covenants or a management company?

Also those rooms do feel slightly narrow, but I find that with new builds.
    Attempting to buy a house
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 5th Jan 18, 8:33 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    ProDave
    This is what worries me.

Click on the "properties sold nearby" link and there is nothing over 190K.

These seem to be breaking the ceiling price for the area imho and by a long way.
    • rwcwilson
    • By rwcwilson 6th Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    rwcwilson
    Is it freehold or leasehold? Is there ground rent or weird covenants or a management company?

Also those rooms do feel slightly narrow, but I find that with new builds.
    Originally posted by CommitedToChange
    Its freehold and no ground rent/management fees etc.

This is what worries me.

Click on the "properties sold nearby" link and there is nothing over 190K.

These seem to be breaking the ceiling price for the area imho and by a long way.
    Originally posted by ProDave
    Yeh that's what has ultimately put the nail in the coffin. If we were to live there for 10 years then we would probably be happy to pay a bit above what the houses on the street have sold for, particularly as they are two up two down terraces and three bed semis sell in the 300-400k mark in the area.

However, as a general update, we looked round it this morning and it is just a bit too cramped. It would be fine for us as a couple but as soon as we have kids it'll become too small very quickly. The bedrooms are all a good size and the bathrooms are nice (I can confirm the layout is nothing like the mock up and the bath taps are in the middle of the bath).

It's the living space that is the problem. The living room is just a tad too small and the kitchen space isn't big enough to make up for it. Although they show a bit of living area next to the breakfast bar in the mock up, its a lot smaller in real life. They would have done much better by having a much bigger kitchen and use it as a kitchen diner. The garden was very large though and really nice (was turfed and had areas for bedded plants and a good quality patio).

The build quality wasn't great throughout the house, with some dodgy plastering work where the plaster meets the skirting board. Also no carpets, so another expense to add on the cost. All the TV ports/plugs in the living room and bedroom were half way up the wall...not everyone wants to mount their TV on the wall! Though there were loads of handy modern plug choices such as ethernet ports, plugs, USB ports, wireless heating controls etc. in most rooms.

The parking was another deal breaker. The entrance is really narrow and I struggled to get my scirocco through. Although the drive way goes much further back than in the picture and could fit two cars end to end and possibly a further smaller car in front of the house, unfortunately the neighbour's boundry wall isn't straight and comes quite far in about half way down the drive. it basically goes large car width at the entrance, then narrow, then really wide at the end. My scirocco would struggle to fit through the middle and certainly not without the mirrors in. I could just see it being a daily pain in the !!!!.

So in conclusion, its not the one unfortunately, think it would have to have been perfect to have won us over. We're back to looking at period properties this afternoon Thanks for all your opinions!
    Last edited by rwcwilson; 06-01-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,678Posts Today

7,896Users online

Martin's Twitter