Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MajorR
    • By MajorR 4th Jan 18, 8:56 PM
    • 148Posts
    • 42Thanks
    MajorR
    The NCD con
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:56 PM
    The NCD con 4th Jan 18 at 8:56 PM
    When it comes to NCD some insurers like Churchill only specify up to 9yrs+ on their forms. With NCD proof only being valid for 2yrs with a lot of insurers how do you get round this? For example I've not made a claim in over 25yrs driving but my last two policies only say i have 9yrs or more as that is what the form allowed me to go up to. When i now want to move to another company their form has years listed individually up to 25 but i can't prove i have anything other than the 9yrs.
    What does everyone else do? It seems like a con to me to half peoples proof of NCD.

Cheers
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 4th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    Take the 9 years as it makes no difference.

I went with More Than for the past 12 years and came out with 9 years, the last renewal was £80 less than they could offer.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 4th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 7,279 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    OP How would 25 years work?

In general you get 70% discount for 5 years, then some companies give an extra 1% per year for another 5 years, giving a max of 75%.

Get to 25 years and they would be paying you!!

Its all smoke and mirrors anyway.

I’ve paid less with three years NCB following a claim, than I did the previous year with max NCB.
    • force ten
    • By force ten 4th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    force ten
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    it is all down to the term maximum no claims discount and each insurer has different figures as their maximum some as low as five years and many use nine years as the maximum

so the number of ears that you have been claim free will not be reflected in the NCD offered when moving insurers
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 5th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 1,788 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    The insurers should show a table of NCDs somewhere in the policy documentation. In most cases, the discount only goes up to 5 years, regardless of the number of years you're claiming. Anything beyond that is just bragging rights, and has no effect on the policy price.

If you do make a claim, they knock 2 years off whatever discount you were getting. So if their limit was 5+ years, then it goes down to 3. It doesn't matter whether you hadn't actually made a claim for 25 years - it won't just go down to 23.

Of course, you can protect the NCD, but that won't stop the quote going up the following year if you've made a claim.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 5th Jan 18, 11:40 AM
    • 19,202 Posts
    • 14,862 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:40 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:40 AM
    Ah, the old "thread with con in the title when it's no such thing".
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 5th Jan 18, 11:48 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    HogMan
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:48 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:48 AM
    Iíve paid less with three years NCB following a claim, than I did the previous year with max NCB
    I had a similar experience the quotes in the year following a fault claim went down not up which is the opposite of what I expected.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,084Posts Today

10,050Users online

Martin's Twitter