Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bronco12
    • By bronco12 4th Jan 18, 8:40 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bronco12
    entitlement to "New Style" ESA
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:40 PM
    entitlement to "New Style" ESA 4th Jan 18 at 8:40 PM
    Can someone please advise me on the nature of eligibility for new style ESA when client is in receipt of Universal Credit. I have been given to understand that it involves the amount of national insurance contributions/credits. Would a disabled person who is unable to work but has been receiving full 52 week class 1 national insurance credits for a number of years be prevented from claiming new style ESA alongside their UC because of their disability or would the class 1 credits be sufficient without work contributions to make them eligible?
Page 1
    • epitome
    • By epitome 4th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 3,089 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    epitome
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    If they have not claimed Carer's Allowance to care for someone else since April 2016 .....

Then they will have needed to have worked and earned money -essentially would need to have earned approx £2800 - £3000 at least 26 weeks (with each week of those 26) at or above approx £107.....in one of the last 3 tax years ...i.e. 2014/2015 or 2015/2016 or 2016/2017

If they have claimed carers allowance since April 2016, then they can use any tax year in their lifetime, for the above calculation. (but the further you go back the less the amount earned has to be.)

Any ESA C paid would be deducted from the UC
    Last edited by epitome; 04-01-2018 at 8:57 PM.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 4th Jan 18, 10:13 PM
    • 4,429 Posts
    • 4,645 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:13 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:13 PM
    Just to clarify epitome's figures. Earnings would need to be approx £2800 to £3000 for the 26 week period, not each week of the period as it could be read :-)
    • bronco12
    • By bronco12 4th Jan 18, 10:46 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bronco12
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:46 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:46 PM
    Ok thanks. As someone with a chronic and unpredictable condition on higher rate DLA who has been provided with full class 1 NI credits I was hoping that I would not have the fact I am unable to work used to prevent me getting the benefits of new style esa that someone who can work does ie it is an individual as opposed to household benefit. Being unable to work I obviously haven't earned enough to qualify but when I called the tax office they told me that class 1 credits were enough to qualify me for NS ESA and even went so far as to actually say that the DWP were being disingenuous with the truth to suggest otherwise. I called ESA several times only to get conflicting answers. Eventually someone called me back to say that there were first and secondary elements to eligibility and that I qualified under the second (credits) but failed under the first (payments).

So that's that I guess. Thanks for the advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

2,175Users online

Martin's Twitter