Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• lhead123
    • By lhead123 4th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 281Posts
    • 1,205Thanks
    Churchill Home Insurance and Lost Phone
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    Churchill Home Insurance and Lost Phone 4th Jan 18 at 8:36 PM
    Hi All

My husband lost his phone between the car (on the road outside) and our house. We didn't realise for an hour and now of course it's nowhere to be found.

We've reported it lost to the police, got it blocked etc...

We have insurance with churchill which covers mobile phones but it's £200 excess and the phone is only worth £250 on ebay etc.

Churchill said they will replace like for like, but the htc10 is a 2 year old phone, so if they replace it with another one the same it's not worth claiming, but if it's any other phone that's newer it will be worth it as if my husband doesn't get on with it we can sell it.

Has anyone claimed for a mobile with churchill before? What happened?

Two things essential for my organisation and my sanity - my planner and YNAB
Page 1
    • Sparx
    • By Sparx 4th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    You already know the answer - not worth claiming due to the high excess on your policy!

This is why I only have a £50 excess, got caught out a few years ago with mine.
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 4th Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    Note well that Chruchill's home insurance cover is new for old, therefore the replacement will be the same handset if it is still available as a brand new item. Alternatively, you could cash out the claim at your insurer's discounted price for the same handset. Refurbs will not be offered - the settlement will not be based on your eBay valuation.

If the same item is discontinued, the claim will be passed on to a validation company to source a suitable like-for-like replacement brand new in today's market, matching the same spec as the original (e.g., based on screen size, processor etc.). This could significantly exceed £250.
    Wedding fund - £1090.92 (£1135.00)
    OP fund - £1024.81 (£395.34)
    Emergency fund - £150.00
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 5th Jan 18, 8:30 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:30 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:30 AM
    Also note most policies won!!!8217;t cover items you !!!8216;lose!!!8217; in the home; on the logic they will be somewhere.
    Accidental loss isn!!!8217;t an insured peril under contents for this reason, therefore not a claimable event.

If you lose it outside the home this is normally covered under the !!!8216;all risk!!!8217; personal belonging cover. Do you have this cover, or just contents?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,265Posts Today

6,755Users online

Martin's Twitter