Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oitnb16
    • By oitnb16 4th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    oitnb16
    Bit grim - apologies in advance!
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    Bit grim - apologies in advance! 4th Jan 18 at 7:38 PM
    Relatives stayed xmas eve and seem to have left us an extra 'present' in the spare upstairs throne room. Nothing stuck visible in bowl though and I've flushed/bleached/bog brushed at least 15 times so believe their 'present' must be present in the u-bend/pipes but out of sight. The water colour changes if it is left unflushed for more than 5 hours ish and the smell...it's repugnant.

Any suggestions to clear it before I call a drainage/plumber?
Page 1
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 4th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 9,003 Posts
    • 55,324 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    Do you have a plunger. If not an old mop that you could use as a plunger.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • jrrowleyws
    • By jrrowleyws 4th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    jrrowleyws
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    Has thr toilet got a decent flush? Worth throwing a few large buckets of water down the toilet. If the water is changing colour that means whatever is lurking hasn't gone far and a decent amount of water may shift it better than the flush!
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 4th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 5,244 Thanks
    Loanranger
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    Big bucket of water thrown down the bowl with plenty of oomph.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 4th Jan 18, 8:13 PM
    • 18,985 Posts
    • 43,838 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:13 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:13 PM
    Big bucket of HOT water thrown down with plenty of oomph. The hot water helps to soften the offending matter.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Green hopeful
    • By Green hopeful 4th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    Green hopeful
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    Sterident tablets cleared a recent issue in our family bathroom. Left two in overnight. Got the tablets from my father in law. But have bought some for any further issues.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 4th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    Big bucket of HOT water thrown down with plenty of oomph. The hot water helps to soften the offending matter.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    This!

Very hot water preferably. Though boiling may crack the throne if not poured correctly.

Failing that put on some rubber gloves and break up by hand.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 4th Jan 18, 9:21 PM
    • 4,046 Posts
    • 8,252 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:21 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:21 PM
    Speaks a voice of great experience? I'd never thought of using hot water, but it makes sense.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 4th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 4,281 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    There are YouTube videos showing a thing you can do with fairy liquid (or dish soap as it will be called in American made videos).
    Definitely worth a try.

Forgot to add: this one involves hot water too I think.
    Last edited by Quizzical Squirrel; 04-01-2018 at 9:52 PM.
    • tired dad
    • By tired dad 4th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    tired dad
    this.................
    • Wassa123
    • By Wassa123 5th Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    Wassa123
    Well if the water colour is changing that’s a good sign, means it is breaking up a bit.

I use Rhino Drain Unblocker, it’s practically some form of acid. You pour it in and leave it for half a day or so. The DIY sheds would have it or something similar.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 5th Jan 18, 7:39 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    Grenage
    I've always used a drain rod plunger. They only cost a couple of quid, and while I've only needed it a few times, it's cleared the blockage in seconds.
    • zolablue25
    • By zolablue25 5th Jan 18, 8:30 AM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    zolablue25
    As mentioned previously, I always use a bucket of water - make sure not to throw too much down if its not draining properly as you could end up with "Overflow" from the bowl.

Plenty of oomph is the technique to use. Never used hot water before but might try next time to see if it makes it easier (although I've never yet failed with cold water - eventually *touches wood*)
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 5th Jan 18, 9:00 AM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 3,977 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    As mentioned previously, I always use a bucket of water - make sure not to throw too much down if its not draining properly as you could end up with "Overflow" from the bowl.

Plenty of oomph is the technique to use. Never used hot water before but might try next time to see if it makes it easier (although I've never yet failed with cold water - eventually *touches wood*)
    Originally posted by zolablue25
    if its not draining quickly enough to allow this OP buy one of these

mechanical means

wont take more than a minute to break up the offending turdberg
    • redmalc
    • By redmalc 5th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    redmalc
    try a metal coat hanger which you straighten out before pushing into the U bend and the offending item
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 5th Jan 18, 9:30 AM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 3,977 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    try a metal coat hanger which you straighten out before pushing into the U bend and the offending item
    Originally posted by redmalc
    be vary careful if you do this, given how common flexible pan connectors are these days the relatively sharp end of a coat hanger can very easily go through the pan connector, and thats a VERY messy job to fix, with a blockage in situ!

the item i linked above is more flexible, and has a more gentle end, for that very reason.
    • kippers
    • By kippers 5th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 5,908 Thanks
    kippers
    I've used caustic soda in the past that you can buy from any DIY shop and it works a treat when the toilet is blocked....but be careful when you use it as it can burn if you don't follow the instructions!
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 5th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    Another vote here for plenty of washing up liquid in the pan followed by at least 2 buckets of hot water. Has worked for me before.
    • WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 5th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 2,214 Posts
    • 24,720 Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    Loads of bleach and hot water
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 5th Jan 18, 3:15 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    They must have known!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,619Users online

Martin's Twitter