Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• GSPGirl
    • By GSPGirl 4th Jan 18, 6:07 PM
    • 62Posts
    • 7Thanks
    1st Credit ignoring all letters
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:07 PM
    1st Credit ignoring all letters 4th Jan 18 at 6:07 PM

We have asked for up to date information and credit agreements from 1st Credit for two accounts serviced through a DMP - the accounts were long ago defaulted and no longer on the credit file.

one is for £1700 and the other is for £5700 both from around 2009/2010

We have written to them three times, the earliest letter was August 2017. The latest was November or December 2017. By registered post.

They have ignored all letters

We wrote to them finally asking to utilise the internal complaints process, prior to referring the matter to the Financial Ombudsman.

As they have not replied or even acknowledged any of our letters we are not sure what to do.

They wrote to us a few years ago offering to settle the debt with 80 & 90 % discounts

We have not heard from them in a long time and all letters have been ignored. We believe this breaks the terms of the DMP as they are supposed to provide a statement each year, at least, and should be able to provide a copy of the credit agreement (s)

We have now referred this matter to the Financial Ombudsman today as they ignore all our letters

Any advice - Will StepChange advise us to suspend payment until they respond ?

Are they likely to ever respond ? Anyone have any advice on this pls.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th Jan 18, 7:00 PM
    • 13,401 Posts
    • 12,801 Thanks
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:00 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:00 PM
    Have you made an official request for information under sec 77/79 consumer credit act 1978 and enclosed the statutory £1 payment ?

If yes, then the account remains unenforceable until they do respond, however long that may be, you do not have to make any further payments, and they cannot obtain judgement against you in court.

As it!!!8217;s no longer on your credit file, maybe let sleeping dogs lie ?

They can!!!8217;t do anything to you whilst in default of your request, and non compliance with a CCA request, is a good defence to any court claim.

Typical 1st credit behaviour to be honest, they know the debts are most likley unenforceable so will happily keep taking your money.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see :
    • GSPGirl
    • By GSPGirl 4th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    Hi yes I did cite that, they have had 3 or 4 letters now and have ignored every single one

Have messaged StepChange to ask their advice, I know they act on behalf of the creditor and the debtor, but they have failed to provide any information so I believe they have broken the terms of the DMP and we shouldnt be paying.

We recently did the same with Cabot, who replied after the third letter saying we were referring them to the Ombudsman. They said they did not have the credit agreement so could not take us to court but we were obliged to pay them, again, this is not on the credit file.

Any advice welcome pls. We want to get a mortgage this year hopefully so are hoping to clear the decks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

39Posts Today

2,985Users online

Martin's Twitter