Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jonners85
    • By Jonners85 4th Jan 18, 6:06 PM
    • 120Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Jonners85
    Reduction of availability
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:06 PM
    Reduction of availability 4th Jan 18 at 6:06 PM
    Hi

I am looking at reducing my availability, as to fit around a second job I've recently been offered (uncontracted employment bank work as a hospital porter, but I can either work 12.00 noon til 8 or 4pm-8.30pm), however within my availability sheet (24 hours contracted but mostly work hours like mornings 7 or 8 am starts til noon with the odd 4pm-8.30pm thrown in or 7/8am-4pm/5pm weekends) I did select somewhere in the region of 6am-midnight, but as overtime cannot be guaranteed on any basis? I have been looking at a secondary job and wish to reduce my availability to somewhere like 6am-3pm. Is this a reasonable request? I can always up my availability down the line, but don't want to lose any contracted hours at employer 1.

May I ask how often availability time sheets should be refreshed?

Also when should I inform my current employer about a secondary job? So far I have not said anything as I have only had an intention to offer email, and yesterday a start date of January 15, but no firm decision made on when my first shift will be, as I am awaiting a DBS Certificate, and the hospital is awaiting their clearance certificate . However January 15 I am on holiday from employer 1.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 4th Jan 18, 6:25 PM
    • 4,396 Posts
    • 7,334 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:25 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:25 PM
    These are all questions relating the the employers policies. So nobody here can answer them. What employer 1 thinks about your availability is up to them, as is whether they allow you to have a second job.
    • Jonners85
    • By Jonners85 4th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Jonners85
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    Fair play but is it best to speak now then?

It's just a friend tells me that availability sheets must be refreshed every 12 months?

Then it is not easy living off a guaranteed 24 hours only.
    • Jonners85
    • By Jonners85 4th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Jonners85
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    There have been other staff from employer 1 working second jobs, however I am unclear whether they reduced availability or just worked them to their own free time to accommodate job 2. As that is/was no issue of mine.
    • Jonners85
    • By Jonners85 4th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Jonners85
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    Well when I think about it, I may not reduce my availability (or attempt to for now), but if it's really necessary to tell employer 1 I even have a second job? I only have to hand my days & times of availability in to employer 2 as soon as I know it from employer 1. #2 can either agree or disagree to make any offers of working hours during that week.

Job 1 & 2 in different sectors, and do not share the same business interests.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 4th Jan 18, 7:26 PM
    • 4,396 Posts
    • 7,334 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:26 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:26 PM
    Sorry but your friend doesn't know what they are talking about. "availability sheets" have nothing to do with the law. It's the employer. And what they do is what they do. Whether they allow you to have a second job is what they do. This is all down to your contractual details and employers policies. We really can't tell you.
    • Jonners85
    • By Jonners85 4th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Jonners85
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    Not a problem, if the manager is in tomorrow, I will have a word and see what is said. However other staff past and present have had or do have second jobs. Whether employer 1 did know, I can't be too sure it was common knowledge for all, but for some staff it has been common knowledge, 2 jobs are being worked during the same week.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,229Posts Today

9,103Users online

Martin's Twitter