Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 4th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    • 772Posts
    • 823Thanks
    bertiewhite
    0 WOW
    German touring holiday
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    0 WOW
    German touring holiday 4th Jan 18 at 3:52 PM
    I'm planning a car touring holiday through Germany at the end of March and so far I've come up with a route from Calais through France to Leonberg - Scloss Neuschwanstein - Munich then through the Czech Republic via Prague to Berlin.

My problem is what to include on my route back to the UK as I lived in Northern Germany in the mid 90s and can only remember it being really industrialised.

Can anybody recommend a route back from Berlin please?

I've thought about driving through middle via Koln as I remember that being nice but what about in between?
Page 1
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 4th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 4,547 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    We stopped in Eindhoven on our way back to the ferry. Great town, lots of life around the centre plus DAF museum and a light bulb museum if you are into that kind of thing. There is a large university so lots of bars, music and parking was cheap.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 5th Jan 18, 12:02 PM
    • 7,352 Posts
    • 4,130 Thanks
    martindow
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:02 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:02 PM
    Aachen is another interesting place you could visit.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 5th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 8,102 Posts
    • 13,708 Thanks
    andrewf75
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    Harz mountains area?
    • 814man
    • By 814man 5th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    814man
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    Hmm, not sure I agree with your outward plan but my suggestion for return would be go along the former military corridor to Helmstedt then south via the Hartz Mountains where Braunlage is always a favorite place for me as its where I proposed to my wife of 24 years!
    You should then be able to pick a route to the south of the industrial zone around Dortmund, Essen etc. Lots to see and do around Cologne and of course personally I'd call by my former home in Monchengladbach but there are plenty of great options around this area.
    As mentioned Aachen is nice but as a special stop off I'd suggest going south again a bit to Monschau then across through Belgium to Liege trying to get there for the awesome Sunday morning market.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 8th Jan 18, 8:02 AM
    • 772 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:02 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:02 AM
    Hmm, not sure I agree with your outward plan
    Originally posted by 814man
    In what respect?
    • John259
    • By John259 8th Jan 18, 8:12 AM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    John259
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:12 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:12 AM
    Alongside the Rhine from Koblenz to Bonn would be worth considering I think.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
    • 814man
    • By 814man 8th Jan 18, 8:54 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    814man
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:54 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:54 AM
    In what respect?
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Hi, sorry not well phrased, this was not really intended as a criticism more a personal comment, having lived in Germany for 10 years I would take a different route to see places I personally prefer. Its difficult to suggest areas as I'm not sure what you want to see. Looking at the route you intend just from Prague to Berlin for example it will take you past the city of Dresden which is certainly worth a visit but if you want to get off the beaten track a little a gem of a place I used to like to visit is nearby called Bad Schandau. Its on the Elbe River and part of the Sachsische Schweiz national park and great for walking. https://www.saechsische-schweiz.de/en/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

2,414Users online

Martin's Twitter