Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oxford_yellow
    • By oxford_yellow 4th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    oxford_yellow
    npower mis read meter for 2 years
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    npower mis read meter for 2 years 4th Jan 18 at 2:31 PM
    have a dispute with Npower, 2 years ago my gas meter was changed (for what must of been second hand meter as wasn't at all zero's), and since then they have been reading the meter as 4 digits not 5 (ignoring the red box) every quarter, now the reading has gone to 6 digits they have "realised their mistake" - their words, but i must pay for the used gas, for good will they have knocked the first year off.

what are my rights, if any, in this case?

its rather clutching at straws, but my argument was that i shouldn't pay a penny as a) they admitted its their fault, b) if i had been paying the true cost i would of lowered my consumption etc...

any advice appreciated
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 4th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 4,860 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    To be honest, you have used the gas so you should pay for it.

I think they have been kind in knocking one years worth of consumption off for you.
    Hiraeth
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 4th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 35,802 Posts
    • 46,093 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    If you had lowered your comsumption the saving that you may have made would be far far less than a years fee gas.
    I would snap their hands off
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 4th Jan 18, 4:00 PM
    • 5,892 Posts
    • 5,860 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:00 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:00 PM
    Was the gas meter inaccessible to you ?
    If not, why were you not checking their readings on the bills and /or submitting intermediate readings ?
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 4th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    • 3,271 Posts
    • 1,989 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    I'd have to say that I'm disappointed that it's taken you two years to realise that the meter readings have been incorrect.

All you needed to do was look at the meter yourself, check the reading on the bill, see that they were wrong and get it sorted.

If they are going to let you off a years worth of gas I'd suggest that you bite their hand off, accept their offer, start reading the meter yourself and stop whinging as 12 months worth of gas has got to be worth in excess of £500.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 4th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    4 digits not 5
    has gone to 6 digits
    Originally posted by oxford_yellow
    Sounds to me like you both cannot read the meter!

Or more likely they are reading it wrong now.

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-support/meters/monthly-or-quarterly/faq/how-to-read-your-meter

Metric meters have 5 digits (and three to ignore)

Imperial meters, like I suspect you have have 4 digits and 2 red digits to ignore.

If you have been provding them reads using the digits you should ignore it is no wonder they have got confused.

Feel free to post a pic of your meter so we can confirm how it should be read.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 4th Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    have a dispute with Npower, 2 years ago my gas meter was changed (for what must of been second hand meter as wasn't at all zero's), and since then they have been reading the meter as 4 digits not 5 (ignoring the red box) every quarter, now the reading has gone to 6 digits they have "realised their mistake" - their words, but i must pay for the used gas, for good will they have knocked the first year off.

what are my rights, if any, in this case?

its rather clutching at straws, but my argument was that i shouldn't pay a penny as a) they admitted its their fault, b) if i had been paying the true cost i would of lowered my consumption etc...

any advice appreciated
    It is very poor that they have made these mistakes, but as far as I can see from your post you aren't disputing the usage. They are entitled to the money because you have used the gas.

Be pleased that they are giving such a generous goodwill payment!

Pay the money and keep a good record of monthly readings yourself. Raise a dispute as soon as any discrepancies arise in future.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 5th Jan 18, 10:36 AM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 1,629 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:36 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:36 AM
    ...its rather clutching at straws, but ...
    Quite.

Good luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,009Posts Today

9,871Users online

Martin's Twitter