Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zaksmum
    • By zaksmum 4th Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    • 5,418Posts
    • 7,309Thanks
    zaksmum
    Amazon Gift Cards
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    Amazon Gift Cards 4th Jan 18 at 2:03 PM
    Received a few Amazon gift cards for Christmas. What a hassle it was to enter the codes to redeem them on Amazon though!

These are revealed when a panel is scratched off, and really difficult to see and decipher. A V looks like U, an 8 or 5 looks like S, and so on. After three failed attempts to correctly input the code, you get a security panel asking you to enter ANOTHER code consisting of distorted letter and numbers with a partial upside down "reflection" of these.

It took me over an hour to input three codes and in the end the only way I could do it was to photograph the codes on my phone then zoom in on them.

Ridiculous. Has anyone else had similar trouble?
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 4th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 1,374 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    No.

Have you had an eye test recently?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 4th Jan 18, 2:40 PM
    • 11,709 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:40 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:40 PM
    No trouble at all.

Did you scratch off the film correctly?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 4th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    • 10,065 Posts
    • 4,165 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    As above no trouble at all on a number of cards .
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 4th Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Diamandis
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    Always been able to use them really easily. Do you have any eyesight issues? I imagine the other code was a CAPTCHA type thing?
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 4th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    • 7,499 Posts
    • 16,180 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    My son had a problem with the code on a £30 card - when the silver was scratched off, part of one of the letters also scratched off. He thought that he had lost his money, but we rang Amazon (through their callback service), and they asked him to email a photo of the code over. Once they had the email, they then asked for the serial number on the card, and they credited his account with the £30.
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 4th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    isplumm
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    Received a few Amazon gift cards for Christmas. What a hassle it was to enter the codes to redeem them on Amazon though!

These are revealed when a panel is scratched off, and really difficult to see and decipher. A V looks like U, an 8 or 5 looks like S, and so on. After three failed attempts to correctly input the code, you get a security panel asking you to enter ANOTHER code consisting of distorted letter and numbers with a partial upside down "reflection" of these.

It took me over an hour to input three codes and in the end the only way I could do it was to photograph the codes on my phone then zoom in on them.

Ridiculous. Has anyone else had similar trouble?
    Originally posted by zaksmum
    Had same issue with £15 Amazon card - very difficult to tell whether z where s etc. In the end I called them & sent them a photo of the card - they then spent 15 minutes to add it - but eventually git it sorted.

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 5th Jan 18, 7:28 AM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 3,988 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:28 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:28 AM
    No problem at all, scratched it off with my thumb nail, easy enough to read.

Suppose it depends if you have any difficult characters.
    • Morglin
    • By Morglin 5th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 14,633 Posts
    • 26,928 Thanks
    Morglin
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    I EMail the ones I send, and it’s much simpler.

Lin ��
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset.
    • Enfieldian
    • By Enfieldian 5th Jan 18, 10:39 AM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    Enfieldian
    Last time I was given one I just used the iPhone App and it scanned and input the details from the card for me....
    • qsk
    • By qsk 5th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    qsk
    I had similar problems with a cardboard Amazon gift card. Some digits were scratched off together with the cover. I had to contact Amazon to get the missing digits.
    I have no problem with plastic gift cards.
    • zaksmum
    • By zaksmum 7th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    • 5,418 Posts
    • 7,309 Thanks
    zaksmum
    No eyesight problems at all. None of the family could read some of the letters/numbers, although admittedly there were some cards that were easy to read.

It was only after zooming right in that I could manage to get the codes right.
    • redpete
    • By redpete 10th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 4,163 Posts
    • 3,676 Thanks
    redpete
    Has anyone else had similar trouble?
    Originally posted by zaksmum
    Not me, whatever time it has taken has been well worth the value of the vouchers.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

1,554Users online

Martin's Twitter