Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • samsung laptop
    • By samsung laptop 4th Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    • 277Posts
    • 21Thanks
    samsung laptop
    What are your rights if you think a laptop is faulty
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    What are your rights if you think a laptop is faulty 4th Jan 18 at 1:50 PM
    I was setting up my daughters new laptop and it was making a strange noise so I took it back to argos and the store assistant checked it over but she said she couldn't hear anything so she wouldn't give me a refund so my only option was to have it sent for repair or have a replacement but if I choose a cheaper laptop she wasn't going to refund the difference in price. So after having a argument that a new laptop shouldn't be making a noise she checked on her computer and they didn't do a repair service so she asked me to look for another laptop but the one I wanted wasn't in stock so she decide to give me a full refund.
    So if they had the laptop in store did they have to give me the price difference.
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 4th Jan 18, 2:40 PM
    • 5,023 Posts
    • 10,196 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:40 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:40 PM
    I was setting up my daughters new laptop and it was making a strange noise so I took it back to argos and the store assistant checked it over but she said she couldn't hear anything so she wouldn't give me a refund so my only option was to have it sent for repair or have a replacement but if I choose a cheaper laptop she wasn't going to refund the difference in price. So after having a argument that a new laptop shouldn't be making a noise she checked on her computer and they didn't do a repair service so she asked me to look for another laptop but the one I wanted wasn't in stock so she decide to give me a full refund.
    So if they had the laptop in store did they have to give me the price difference.
    Originally posted by samsung laptop
    Purely based on the facts presented above, no they would not have 'had' to (assuming you bought in store, online may afford you additional rights)
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • samsung laptop
    • By samsung laptop 4th Jan 18, 2:51 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    samsung laptop
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:51 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:51 PM
    I ordered it online to have it delivered. What would be the difference buying online to in store
    Last edited by samsung laptop; 04-01-2018 at 2:54 PM.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 4th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 5,023 Posts
    • 10,196 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    I ordered it online to have it delivered. What would be the difference buying online to in store
    Buying instore means you have no automatic legal right to a refund unless faulty.

With buying online they would need to decide whether how far you got into setting it up counts as 'acceptance' if the sound fault continued to not be present.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 4th Jan 18, 3:55 PM
    • 11,735 Posts
    • 8,923 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:55 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:55 PM
    The difference is that in store you have no change of mind rights. Online, you have a minimum of 14 days to cancel the contract although the retailer could make a deduction to your refund if your handling goes beyond what is necessary to establish the characteristics (think what would be allowed in a shop) of the goods, your handling diminishes the value of the goods and they complied with providing the necessary information.

As for your rights....its up to you to prove the goods dont conform to contract. Once you have done that, if its within 6 months it would be for the retailer to prove the lack of conformity isn't inherent. Outwith 6 months it would be for you to prove that it is inherent. If its within the first 30 days then you can insist on a refund, after 30 days you need to allow them 1 attempt to repair or replace, if the goods still dont conform after that attempt you can then insist on a refund again.

If they offer a return policy then you would have contractual rights in line with that also.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 4th Jan 18, 4:00 PM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 3,835 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:00 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:00 PM
    I was setting up my daughters new laptop and it was making a strange noise
    Define please.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • samsung laptop
    • By samsung laptop 5th Jan 18, 8:57 AM
    • 277 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    samsung laptop
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:57 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:57 AM
    Define please.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    I cannot explain what it sounds like but here is a youtube video with the exact problem but you may have to turn the sound up. The sound is constant and where the laptop is in my living room you can still hear it 15 feet away when sat on the settee so I cannot see how the women in the shop couldn't hear it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvV_16GLX-8
    Last edited by samsung laptop; 05-01-2018 at 9:20 AM.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 5th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 3,835 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    So it's the HDD that's noisy ... you could have easily said that in your OP.

All mechanical HDDs make a noise when rotating and seeking. Sounds ( ) like the acoustic suppression on this HDD is not good.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • samsung laptop
    • By samsung laptop 5th Jan 18, 10:00 AM
    • 277 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    samsung laptop
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:00 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:00 AM
    So it's the HDD that's noisy ... you could have easily said that in your OP.

All mechanical HDDs make a noise when rotating and seeking. Sounds ( ) like the acoustic suppression on this HDD is not good.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    I didn't know it was the hard drive until I found the video last night. So after hearing the sound do you think I should of been giving the price difference on a cheaper laptop.
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 5th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    • 603 Posts
    • 951 Thanks
    camelot1971
    You had all your money back. I don't see the relevance of the price difference on a cheaper one.
    • samsung laptop
    • By samsung laptop 5th Jan 18, 12:07 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    samsung laptop
    You had all your money back. I don't see the relevance of the price difference on a cheaper one.
    Originally posted by camelot1971
    I would like to know just in case it happens again. The women was adamant that she wasn't going to give me a refund so why did she change her mind? Was there something on the stores computer screen telling her as something is not right if they don't do a repair service on a new laptop.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    • 5,023 Posts
    • 10,196 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I would like to know just in case it happens again. The women was adamant that she wasn't going to give me a refund so why did she change her mind? Was there something on the stores computer screen telling her as something is not right if they don't do a repair service on a new laptop.
    Probably to get rid of you.

Its still not clear whether the laptop is faulty or just 'not that good/quiet.' The cheaper a laptop the worse it will be at things like noise dampening etc.
    • samsung laptop
    • By samsung laptop 6th Jan 18, 2:06 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    samsung laptop

Its still not clear whether the laptop is faulty or just 'not that good/quiet.' The cheaper a laptop the worse it will be at things like noise dampening etc.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    How can you prove the laptop is not faulty if they don't do a repair service. I've found a post on the Lenovo forum where someone had the same problem and Lenovo changed the hard drive and it solved the problem. What would you call a cheap laptop because I paid £350 for mine and it's making the same sound as a £600 laptop.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 6th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 11,735 Posts
    • 8,923 Thanks
    unholyangel
    How can you prove the laptop is not faulty if they don't do a repair service. I've found a post on the Lenovo forum where someone had the same problem and Lenovo changed the hard drive and it solved the problem. What would you call a cheap laptop because I paid £350 for mine and it's making the same sound as a £600 laptop.
    Personally, anything under £700 is likely to be a basic/cheap laptop designed for no more than average use rather than performance quality.

I got a very good deal on mine 4 years ago - all the specs of a £2k alienware/msi for around £600-650. It was such a good deal, even now 4 years later you won't find a similarly spec'd laptop for less than £800.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 7th Jan 18, 8:43 AM
    • 2,729 Posts
    • 1,451 Thanks
    Zandoni

Originally posted by marliepanda
    It's perfectly clear that this laptop had a faulty HDD. The price of the machine really doesn't matter as most are pretty quiet.

The OP was right to seek a refund because this HDD would have failed early.
    Last edited by Zandoni; 07-01-2018 at 1:22 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,355Users online

Martin's Twitter