Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,185Posts
    • 35,730Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one
Page 2
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 4,185 Posts
    • 35,730 Thanks
    Floss
    I had another quite forage in the local hospice shop today...

Silk deep blue "made in italy" double layer lace trimmed tunic £2.49
    Fat Face l/s floral top £2.49
    Fat Face l/s jersey shirt £1.99
    "Preview" fitted blue wool tunic, a bit like those from Joe Browns £2.99
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Jan 18, 4:28 PM
    • 4,185 Posts
    • 35,730 Thanks
    Floss
    P.S. meant to say, thanks for the quick & welcoming move to here! However we could do with a couple of cosy rugs, a tray, a few more cups and some nice glasses for evening soirees in our shiny new home so if anyone spots any whilst out & about, do shout!
    • Amber Sunshine
    • By Amber Sunshine 5th Jan 18, 4:28 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 3,882 Thanks
    Amber Sunshine
    My first bargain to report this year is a pair of boots obtained from a local clothing swap. Was much in need of knee-length boots for winter, so was very pleased to grab a pair in exchange for my unwanted garments. Also scored a satiny paisley print shirt and a glittery long-length jumper. All for free!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Jan 18, 4:30 PM
    • 11,151 Posts
    • 155,506 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    A silicone 7 cup mini muffin tray for 99p from the BHF sale!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 5th Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 23,399 Thanks
    Mirů
    Called into a local big charity shop today accompanied by 'The Bloke' who was supposedly looking for books. My rummaging proved to be fruitless so I looked around for 'T.B.' Couldn't immediately see him but could hear lots of sighing and mild swearing and puffing and blowing, then noticed arms flailing wildly in the air. So I wandered over and with some difficulty extricated him from a very nice looking navy formal coat which was at least four sizes too small and in which he had become fixed fast! My eyes zoned in like lasers on the makers name and a swing ticket with the original price, (it was brand new). Only Jaegar* and originally priced at £395 . Then, oh joy, I spotted the size ....12... obviously a woman's coat and wrongly displayed with the menswear . It's a sort of unisex stylee, single breasted, one button fastening and knee length in a wool & cashmere mix. Tried it on and it just about fit - a tad too big but moving the one button across by an inch or so will help. Could I resist it at the chazza price of £17.50....noooooo! Then, 'T.B.', having recovered his composure, offered to buy it for me as an extra Chrimbo prezzie....woo hoo!!

* I seem to remember hearing that Jaegar are having problems and have gone into administration with their shops being under threat of closure. I've noticed that TkMaxx have started carrying loads of their stock over the last year or so....
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 5th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    • 10,042 Posts
    • 16,018 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    P.S. meant to say, thanks for the quick & welcoming move to here! However we could do with a couple of cosy rugs, a tray, a few more cups and some nice glasses for evening soirees in our shiny new home so if anyone spots any whilst out & about, do shout!
    Originally posted by Floss
    And in case anyone stays the night, some of that divine Baylis & Harding bath stuff...

Wow Miro, that's one fantastic find. Good old TB, you'll have to take him shopping more often!
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 18,679 Posts
    • 49,206 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Called into a local big charity shop today accompanied by 'The Bloke' who was supposedly looking for books. My rummaging proved to be fruitless so I looked around for 'T.B.' Couldn't immediately see him but could hear lots of sighing and mild swearing and puffing and blowing, then noticed arms flailing wildly in the air. So I wandered over and with some difficulty extricated him from a very nice looking navy formal coat which was at least four sizes too small and in which he had become fixed fast! My eyes zoned in like lasers on the makers name and a swing ticket with the original price, (it was brand new). Only Jaegar* and originally priced at £395 . Then, oh joy, I spotted the size ....12... obviously a woman's coat and wrongly displayed with the menswear . It's a sort of unisex stylee, single breasted, one button fastening and knee length in a wool & cashmere mix. Tried it on and it just about fit - a tad too big but moving the one button across by an inch or so will help. Could I resist it at the chazza price of £17.50....noooooo! Then, 'T.B.', having recovered his composure, offered to buy it for me as an extra Chrimbo prezzie....woo hoo!!

* I seem to remember hearing that Jaegar are having problems and have gone into administration with their shops being under threat of closure. I've noticed that TkMaxx have started carrying loads of their stock over the last year or so....
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Lordy! Lordy!
    What a bargain!
    I may decide to stalk you and mug you of any future bargains.
    Be afraid. Be very afraid.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 24,501 Posts
    • 51,812 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    A silicone 7 cup mini muffin tray for 99p from the BHF sale!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    That’s an unusual number. Cook’s treat? A baker’s half-dozen, perhaps?

Only Jaegar* and originally priced at £395 . Then, oh joy, I spotted the size ....12... obviously a woman's coat
    Amazing find, well done! (The coat, and TB ).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 5th Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    • 7,679 Posts
    • 8,303 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I bought a stack (3 for £1, Red Cross) of books as birthday presents for a friend.

I now have to hope he wasn't having a clear-out before Christmas and that I haven't bought him his old books back!
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 5th Jan 18, 7:57 PM
    • 4,209 Posts
    • 29,093 Thanks
    tessie bear
    i saw some lovely leather chairs in the mind shop today would be nice in here

today i got a couple of lovely hobbs skirts and a quilted jacket all cs £2 each i love the coat story i tried on a lovely mac that was massive and concluded it was a gents got dh to put it on...hes 6 foot 2 and broad it was massive on him so would need a large body to fill it xx
    on the brink...
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 5th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    MIRO i would have bought the coat just to make TB try it on again when i was feeling down ha ha...love it and i bet he's taking all credit for finding you a bargain too
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £765.00.00/£1000 Baby Step 1
    # 110 Paid off by xmas 2018 - £115/£6543
    De-clutter challenge 2018 - 3 items a day
    Debt free day October 2019 - End of Baby Step 2
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 6th Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 3,561 Posts
    • 32,810 Thanks
    dolly84
    Miro - that coat sounds like a fabulous find.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 6th Jan 18, 10:26 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,239 Thanks
    bexster1975
    Hello

I almost never post on here but got a couple of things this morning. My star buy was a country collection turtle neck jumper in 100% extra fine merino wool for £2. It does not look to have ever been worn. On the website new ( I'd never heard of the brand truthfully) they are £59 will be a lovely addition to my winter wardrobe.

A few B &H sets spotted, but I managed to resist

Bexster
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 6th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Hello again,

Ha! I got gifted a B & H set by a friend, who just happens to work in a charity shop! Why are people a bit wary of these? Is it something I missed? : )
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • Well Preserved
    • By Well Preserved 6th Jan 18, 12:57 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    Well Preserved
    Hi, you inspired me to have a longer & closer look than I usually do in town today. I found a chambray tunic-style shirt by Weird Fish for £4 so well pleased!
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 6th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 1,800 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    bobsa1
    Happy new year everyone! Dh and I popped into a couple of charity shops today and we managed to bag the following; a Daniel hechter suit for oh for £2 it's excellent condition, slightly snug but he is on a new year weight loss program so hopefully should fit soon. He also got two ties for £1 for the two. He wears a suit and tie to work everyday so is always on the lookout for good quality formal wear.

He then bought a Philips juice machine for £2.49 and a book about juicing for £1. The juicing thing is in all likelihood a fad of his but at £3.49 in total it's not going to break the bank.

I bought a Stuffed Shirt pack which is basically a way of packing shirts and bits in a small suitcase type thing for overnight trips it's only the size of a folder if that makes sense. It will be used by Dh on work trips and was £1.49 it's brand new and has leather bits so I'm guessing expensive when purchased. Nothing for me but hey ho you can't always win
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    • 18,679 Posts
    • 49,206 Thanks
    Pollycat
    A BNWT pair of leggings. They are by TU and were originally £12.00. They are in a great black/grey/white check pattern and have a deep waistband which I find more comfortable than the Primark style ones.
    Size 10 and slightly snug but I have some Xmas weight to shift so they'll fit perfectly soon.
    £3.00 from our local hospice shop.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 6th Jan 18, 2:26 PM
    • 5,539 Posts
    • 23,399 Thanks
    Mirů
    Ooooops....... thought the thread had gone quiet then realised I hadn't subscribed to 'new post, email alerts' for the new thread! Normal service now resumed!

I may decide to stalk you and mug you of any future bargains.
    Be afraid. Be very afraid.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Appoints bodyguard..........

MIRO i would have bought the coat just to make TB try it on again when i was feeling down ha ha...love it and i bet he's taking all credit for finding you a bargain too
    Originally posted by foxyloxy11
    Yep deffo taking the credit but I doubt very much he will be boasting about trying on a ladies coat in a chazza shop to his friends

Hello again,

Ha! I got gifted a B & H set by a friend, who just happens to work in a charity shop! Why are people a bit wary of these? Is it something I missed? : )
    Originally posted by Irenadler
    Someone posted a very good critique of the B & H stuff recently, (was it VfM4meplse?). Basically they seem to use cheap, poor quality ingredients and market their products as if they are premium products with a premium price. Most of the cost of the product goes on the packaging and the marketing. (The original poster put it much better!)

This morning I took a big bag of books to the Cancer Research Shop. I do book reviews for Macmillan, (the cancer charity not the publisher!). It's amazing how many I acquire over the year - can be anything to do with cancer - medical/motivational/autobiography/poetry/self-help even recipe books. They are always the latest editions and I hope someone benefits from reading them as well as the charity making a profit. Course I couldn't resist having a good squiz around and came across a real treasure trove of an old sewing box complete with contents. The box was priced at £5 and the contents at 10p each. Came away with a sweet pearl handled button hook, a silver & enamel thimble with a black cat on it, a cross stitched pin holder, a card of teeny tiny mother of pearl buttons and two very old lace handkerchiefs - one with a Honition lace border and the other with a Bucks point lace border.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Treacle Toes
    • By Treacle Toes 6th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 672 Thanks
    Treacle Toes
    Today at the Banado’s donation centre I bought a Monsoon dressing gown aged 11/12 for £1.99, a Hobbs smart top for 99p, a gap pink shirt for 99p, a pair of Wolsey tights for 49p, and a Henry Holland denim waistcoat aged 10 years for 99p. Amongst the bobbly tat there are a few gems!
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 6th Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Someone posted a very good critique of the B & H stuff recently, (was it VfM4meplse?). Basically they seem to use cheap, poor quality ingredients and market their products as if they are premium products with a premium price. Most of the cost of the product goes on the packaging and the marketing. (The original poster put it much better!)
    Ah, mystery solved, thank you . I will still have a go at using it, rather than waste it, although it's not something I would usually use (can't re-gift, etc. as I threw box away).

It's the thought that counts!
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,573Users online

Martin's Twitter