Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,302Posts
    • 37,297Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one
Page 14
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Feb 18, 10:07 AM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 20,369 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    GQ, you shouldn't underestimate the respectable responsible ones!
    My present, sadly acting, boss is a pillar of rectitude but when faced with a footrest screwed onto one position for shipping responded to a trying-not-to-sound-piteous email by emerging with His Phillips screwdriver minutes later! (I was ashamed, my workbag usually has All Manner of handy stuff but the combitool was in The Other Bag. As a scout leader I should surrender my woggle.)

Neither of us have a clue how to configure a foot rest so he slackened the pressure so the whole thing tilted cooperatively & when the official chair is configured we will be taking notes, and grinning about the stashed Phillips.

And (ye gods where Have 19 years gone?!) some time ago, my nappy bag carried long slender screwdrivers that I could greet children driving mothers & staff dippy with "light & sound" toys by admiring them & removing the batteries... Those, the WD40, a bottle of bubble mixture & a pair of socks (which could become chewtoys, cuddly animals, puppets etc) got us through an awful lot of waiting rooms. I never could see why the nappy bag needed to be big enough to accommodate the baby, and his elder brother, until I had said baby. It's no bug out bag but the small persons sense of TEOTWI-right-the-heck-now-Unless was pretty acute.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 55,646 Thanks
    silvasava
    Always carried a lovely Swiss Army knife in the bottom of my handbag that had all sorts of gadgets on it ( promotional gift to DH) Had to travel to France for work and it was confiscated by security as I'd forgotten it was there I did ask if I could leave it at the Airline desk to collect on my return but no so lost an expensive piece of kit. Would love to know what happened to it. Got a Leatherman now but loved my SWA.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • esmy
    • By esmy 13th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 956 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    esmy
    Haven't been here for ages (slim pickings locally other than for fancy dress!) but re screwdrivers:

Many years ago our very cheap flight to Italy was delayed for a 'technical fault' - after a wait of a couple of hours we were allowed to embark. Tiny plane with just a curtain between the cockpit and cabin. The pilot apologised to the few passengers, then put on his headset which promptly fell apart. He heaved a sigh then asked if anyone had a screwdriver. One was duly produced by a passenger, headset repaired and we took off.

In a previous workplace on the first floor, we had old fashioned sash windows. In Summer the room was extremely hot. Without warning a chap arrived and screwed blocks to the frames so we couldn't open them sufficiently to throw ourselves out. Screwdriver produced and blocks removed the same day. No one noticed in the 10 years I was there.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 13th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    • 5,544 Posts
    • 23,692 Thanks
    Miró
    Always carried a lovely Swiss Army knife in the bottom of my handbag that had all sorts of gadgets on it ( promotional gift to DH) Had to travel to France for work and it was confiscated by security as I'd forgotten it was there I did ask if I could leave it at the Airline desk to collect on my return but no so lost an expensive piece of kit. Would love to know what happened to it. Got a Leatherman now but loved my SWA.
    Originally posted by silvasava

Oh silvasava....that nearly happened to me a few years ago coming back from New Zealand. I had a teeny tiny ladies version of a SAK in shocking pink which I also carried in the bottom of a handbag and completely forgot about. A rather dishy security guy took pity on me and said something about a blade under a certain length being allowed so there then followed a hunt for a ruler or measure to ascertain the exact length! Took ages but I kept my lovely pink SAK and I have never forgotten to put it in hold luggage since!!

My most scary airport experience happened when checking in for an internal flight in Egypt. Hand luggage went through the scanner in two's so mine went through with The Bloke's. I picked mine up after the scanner and started to walk away when I was roughly grabbed by two big burly security guys and bundled off into a small airless room where my bag was thoroughly searched - lining cut away and everything in it was taken apart. They thought they had spotted something suspicious in my bag when it was scanned. I then had to take off my clothes and change into a paper suit thingy....clothes were taken away and examined. I was absolutely terrified thinking I would never see the light of day again! I was held for over three hours, was not allowed a drink in over 100 degree heat and no access to a loo. (During all this TB just wandered off and read his book!) Eventually they had to let me go as they couldn't find anything. Phew! Later that evening TB took out of his hand luggage an industrial sized set of nail clippers....that was what they were looking for! They got the wrong bag

Anyhoo, to keep on-topic, I really must donate to a chazza the large Tree of Life papyrus drawing thingy that I purchased in Egypt and that I have never had framed, (never wishing to be reminded of Egypt or anything Egyptian ever again )
    Last edited by Miró; 13-02-2018 at 12:38 PM.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Feb 18, 1:47 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 55,646 Thanks
    silvasava
    Seriously scary Miro! I've been frisked many times (at the airport!!) I always seem to be targeted for some reason - maybe 'cos I'm tall but its always been just a random search thank goodness
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 13th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 4,232 Posts
    • 29,240 Thanks
    tessie bear
    my dh always gets stopped at customs...I tell him he looks suspicious got a lovely next top today bnwt for £3 so pleased with that as is said £25 on the label
    on the brink...
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Feb 18, 2:26 PM
    • 4,302 Posts
    • 37,297 Thanks
    Floss
    One of my 3 brothers always gets stopped at security...not just going into a country but trying to leave the UK as well

And I lost a bright red SAK when my handbag was knicked - it was my keyring. I now have a branded-by-old-employer one donated by DH which lives in my wash bag with the corkscrew
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 55,646 Thanks
    silvasava
    Floss - you're a lady after my own heart! Bottle opener and corkscrew are essential ha eBay items

Blinking tablet! It's Handbag!
    Last edited by silvasava; 13-02-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Feb 18, 5:50 PM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 20,369 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Those who get pulled routinely should plan for it, allow time for it, warn those travelling with them, & just swing with the punch that says they have a mystery twin with their name & date of birth on a watchlist somewhere.

Cooperate cheerfully, calmly, pragmatically & you'll be through faster. Whilst so doing, pick their brains about how to get to the nearest city, where is a good place to get affordable food & where to treat a fellow traveller etc - they'll have views & if you're helping them, they're more willing to help you.

Some day we'll get this unique identity bit sorted but while we're using computers? Be gentle with the security folk & they'll be more human with you. (OK Egypt is a paranoid place, but the basic advice applies!)
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Feb 18, 6:45 PM
    • 4,302 Posts
    • 37,297 Thanks
    Floss
    My DH has just reminded me that when travelling to Israel for a fortnight every 3 months, he ALWAYS got pulled by security..."because he looked too confident"...because he'd travelled so often
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Feb 18, 10:31 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 55,646 Thanks
    silvasava
    Floss - Israel have the highest security in the world - but I've always found them to be very polite and even on occasions apologetic. Not an experience I've had in the US
    I don't have a problem with security at airports as it's done for our safety but it's the sometimes officious attitude I hate.
    No CS bargains as I'm still clearing and donating
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Feb 18, 7:40 AM
    • 4,302 Posts
    • 37,297 Thanks
    Floss
    Silva - he always felt safest there, shopping malls, bars & restaurants all have lots of armed security guards and their national service soldiers all live at home & commute to barracks on buses complete with machine guns!
    Although he was once picked up by cops in New Orleans for walking back to his hotel, and went out for a walk when the Washington Sniper was doing his worst
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 14th Feb 18, 9:21 AM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 55,646 Thanks
    silvasava
    Floss - I have family by marriage out there - it's a unique place with such lovely warm and generous people. Give you all a chuckle - my 'aunt' came to visit us from Israel with her friend a few years ago. When we went to do some shopping we passed a couple of charity shops (unknown in Israel) I explained what they were and they were amazed at such a good idea! Cue the rest of the holiday trawling multiple CS!! They both went home with more than they came with & now when they visit it's a highlight!
    • Miró
    • By Miró 14th Feb 18, 4:05 PM
    • 5,544 Posts
    • 23,692 Thanks
    Miró
    Bus trip to Otley this afty in the sleet and snow....bloomin' 'eck it was cold - looked a bit like this after walking about for an hour or so.....

Anyhoo, in the 99p shop I got an M & S safari stylee straight skirt in a sand colour. It has a split at the front and someone has been doing big strides and cracked the stitching - I made sure that the fabric wasn't torn so will just have to get out the trusty sewing machine and do a little repair. I had my eye on this skirt last year in M & S but waited for the sales only for it never to appear in my size. Patience rewarded!!!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 14th Feb 18, 7:42 PM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 7,633 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Good to hear about Israel, hubby would like to take me there on holiday but I have always been a bit reticent.
    Bought two more James Pattison books (Cross series). Still trying to get The Big Bad Wolf and the one after. If I end up will all the others after these two I may have to miss the two books out. Paid £1.50 each, more than I like to but it is for a local hospice.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £680/£6,000
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Feb 18, 7:47 PM
    • 19,067 Posts
    • 50,364 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Good to hear about Israel, hubby would like to take me there on holiday but I have always been a bit reticent.
    Bought two more James Pattison books (Cross series). Still trying to get The Big Bad Wolf and the one after. If I end up will all the others after these two I may have to miss the two books out. Paid £1.50 each, more than I like to but it is for a local hospice.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    I'm reading The Big Bad Wolf right now.

TBH, he's not one of my most favourite authors.
    I feel his books have too much white space, his chapters are too short for me.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 14th Feb 18, 8:04 PM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 7,633 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    I'm reading The Big Bad Wolf right now.

TBH, he's not one of my most favourite authors.
    I feel his books have too much white space, his chapters are too short for me.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    When I am tired at night I like the short chapters.
    Have just finished one of his standalone books - women of god - it was really good. Totally different to his normal books.
    Started a new author- Vanessa Greene - she has only written three books. Book number six of the year.
    • Witless
    • By Witless 14th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    Witless
    Sounds scarily familiar GQ.
    Last edited by Witless; 14-02-2018 at 8:18 PM. Reason: Sorry - wrong thread
    • lizziebabe
    • By lizziebabe 14th Feb 18, 8:18 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 4,373 Thanks
    lizziebabe
    Recent buys
    Hi -

recently I got a lovely black velvet shoulder bag by Kipling for £7 and a pair of black leather gloves for £1.50
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 15th Feb 18, 6:00 PM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 7,633 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Hi All,
    Had a fab day going round some very nice charity shops today. Bought: Laura Ashley room scent set £3 - will shuffle away for my aunt for Christmas. A really lovely scarf - birds on it. (Will look for a label later) £1.99 feels like a good quality on. Haven!!!8217;t decided whether I will use it or keep it as a Christmas present.
    Also bought four more books £1.50 each.
    If I was by myself I would have had a bigger rummage around but hubbies pain threshold (shopping) is only so high!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,919Posts Today

7,848Users online

Martin's Twitter