Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,302Posts
    • 37,297Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one
Page 13
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 24,856 Posts
    • 52,721 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Had an impromptu stop in the local chazzer-land today but bought some good quallity and smart finds. From one shop I bought Next dress, Next summer blouse, Per Una lined trousers and Per Una summer dress (all perfect fits and ideal for work). Plus a BNWT Minnie Mouse footstool for my little niece, all for £10.

^^I also bought this for £1 - sold online in packs of two for a ridiculous £22.30

Finally found the elusive jelly mould for 50p (junk store rather than a chaz so didn't buy it on this occasion):

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 10th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 7,633 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Bought a hat for £2.50. Tried to upload a photo of it but alas I failed.
    Also bought eight books all for either £1 or 99p each. Some look brand new. Six by authors that I gaze read and two by the same author whom I haven!!!8217;t heard of before, it I thought that I would give it a go. Could have bought more but I have got to get it back on the train.
    Last edited by Gem-gem; 10-02-2018 at 3:44 PM.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £680/£6,000
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Feb 18, 3:46 PM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 223,701 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I on the other hand, was always too eager to help!
    I’d dash over to open the shop door if I saw a customer approaching with bags,then offer to take the bags out to the back for sorting- only to be told ‘ thank you very much but that’s my shopping,” haha, embarrassing and I did it more than once!
    Originally posted by Artytarty
    I was once out shopping and went from the fabric shop where I bought two big carrierbagfuls of fabric into a chazzer where an assistant immediately swooped on me and started to take the bags from my hands!

Dunno who was more embarrassed, her or me.......
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 10th Feb 18, 3:51 PM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 7,633 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Talking of holding the door...
    I wanted to go into a charity shop and two people wanted to come out. I waited to one side outside to allow the couple to come out. When they came through they just let the door shut and walked off, I was shocked that they didn’t hold it open. I would always hold it open for someone, I would never let it shut in someone’s face.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £680/£6,000
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 10th Feb 18, 5:12 PM
    • 4,232 Posts
    • 29,240 Thanks
    tessie bear
    those rose moulds are lovely....Lakeland do a spray that helps get cake out of fancy moulds if you have trouble budging anything

all clothes half price in dr b so got a bnwt pink hoodie m and s for a quid its a pretty shade if you like pink I do xx
    on the brink...
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Feb 18, 6:37 PM
    • 19,067 Posts
    • 50,364 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Talking of holding the door...
    I wanted to go into a charity shop and two people wanted to come out. I waited to one side outside to allow the couple to come out. When they came through they just let the door shut and walked off, I was shocked that they didn’t hold it open. I would always hold it open for someone, I would never let it shut in someone’s face.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    They were just mannerless oiks.
    • janb5
    • By janb5 11th Feb 18, 12:53 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 6,436 Thanks
    janb5
    Swan chrome coffee percolator- the type that goes on the stove £2.50. Absolutely lovely.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 11th Feb 18, 1:07 AM
    • 295 Posts
    • 2,510 Thanks
    purpleybat

^^I also bought this for £1 - sold online in packs of two for a ridiculous £22.30

Finally found the elusive jelly mould for 50p (junk store rather than a chaz so didn't buy it on this occasion):

Originally posted by VfM4meplse

I wouldn't buy one cos i'd never use it and it'd end up chipped in a cupboard, but I do think that glass jelly mould is a thing of beauty
    gc 2017 £1841.27.
    2018 jan £124.69
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 11th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 3,672 Posts
    • 33,996 Thanks
    dolly84
    Love the jelly mould, it would look so pretty just catching the light as a decorative item.

Visited two towns yesterday and at one CS people were having to come in and out in stages it was that packed.

I bought a Tula Leather handbag for £1.99, looking online it seems it is a Radley brand, it looks new, the lining and handles are immaculate. I got it in the Oxfam clearance shop so it must have been elsewhere for a while. The handles do creak which is why it may have ended up being donated but I think a bit of leather cream and use will stop that.

I also got one of those tea for one teapots with a cup and saucer, it was brand new in its box, very pretty design, at £3 it wasn't cheap but I use one everyday and loved it.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 11th Feb 18, 9:56 AM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 55,646 Thanks
    silvasava
    During a clear out I sent one of those glass jelly moulds to the CS along with a metal rabbit one and a copper coloured ring mould that had roses round it!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 20,369 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Am delighted if baffled owner of a Cottage Brown coffeepot (missing its lid) for £1. Also missing any Denby basestamp other than Langley turners mark & decorators mark. It's that mystery ring Made In England inked basestamp that will see me divert via Denby with photos asking "What the Devil please?" when we next return from visiting godfather.

Lovely glass jellymould there - can imagine its output undulating gently on a plate along with custard...
    • C J
    • By C J 11th Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 5,843 Thanks
    C J
    I love those silicone rose mounds, VfM! (I would use them for soap making)

I had a little mooch around a couple of CS in a small neighbouring town yesterday, looking for materials for craft projects. In the reduced clothing bin I bought a teenager size padded waterproof jacket for 50p, intending to cut it up because the material looked interesting. However when I got it home and inspected it properly it was brand new and unworn, and was a well known designer label so I changed my mind and put it on an online auction site where it was snapped up almost immediately for a buy it now price of £25! But now I have to go and find some replacement material ....
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Feb 18, 2:19 PM
    • 24,856 Posts
    • 52,721 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    During a clear out I sent one of those glass jelly moulds to the CS along with a metal rabbit one and a copper coloured ring mould that had roses round it!
    Originally posted by silvasava
    The people of Hampshire are lucky, I'd have snapped all 3 up in a heartbeat.

Got niece with me this weekend, I think I'll treat her to a "rose" jelly.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 19,067 Posts
    • 50,364 Thanks
    Pollycat

Lovely glass jellymould there - can imagine its output undulating gently on a plate along with custard...
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    I thought so too.
    Just bemused why VFM didn't buy it.

Finally found the elusive jelly mould for 50p (junk store rather than a chaz so didn't buy it on this occasion)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Feb 18, 2:47 PM
    • 24,856 Posts
    • 52,721 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I thought so too.
    Just bemused why VFM didn't buy it.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I went in there for a different reason in the first place. I was looking for another bookcase and saw what size thought was a second hand furniture shop but it turned out to be a pawnbrokers. If I can find it for that price in a pawnbrokers, I can find it for the same in a chazzer....and I know where I'd prefer my cash to end up.

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Feb 18, 5:40 PM
    • 19,067 Posts
    • 50,364 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I went in there for a different reason in the first place. I was looking for another bookcase and saw what size thought was a second hand furniture shop but it turned out to be a pawnbrokers. If I can find it for that price in a pawnbrokers, I can find it for the same in a chazzer....and I know where I'd prefer my cash to end up.
    Yeah, well, me too.
    But when it's something that you've been looking for for a while (which you have) and at the price you wanted to pay (which it was), I think I'd have shrugged my shoulders and paid 50p.
    But maybe you have stronger principles than I have...
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 12th Feb 18, 4:05 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 1,469 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    some bargains today fro my youngest DD. Topshop checked trousers £4.00, Pink Soda playsuit £4 and New Look top £1.50. She has loads of parties coming up so these will be ideal.
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £800.00.00/£1000 Baby Step 1
    Debt free day October 2019 - End of Baby Step 2
    • Miró
    • By Miró 12th Feb 18, 4:16 PM
    • 5,544 Posts
    • 23,692 Thanks
    Miró
    Awwwww...thought I'd found a real bargain today in the Sue Ryder shop! A camel coloured long scarf by Alpaca Camargo - Made in Peru, BNWT and label indicated 100% alpaca, priced at £6. Done a bit of research since and it appears it is only 30% alpaca and 70% summat synthetic Still feels wondrously soft and warm tho. I should have known better cos I went to Peru on holiday a couple of years ago and was warned then about the mislabelling of alpaca items. I was probably influenced by the freezing cold and snow that I trudged through on my way there. It's strange....all the scarves in the shop were priced at £6 despite some being wool or synthetic or fleece or wotever and some were new and some rather worn....odd!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Feb 18, 5:26 PM
    • 19,067 Posts
    • 50,364 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Awwwww...thought I'd found a real bargain today in the Sue Ryder shop! A camel coloured long scarf by Alpaca Camargo - Made in Peru, BNWT and label indicated 100% alpaca, priced at £6. Done a bit of research since and it appears it is only 30% alpaca and 70% summat synthetic Still feels wondrously soft and warm tho. I should have known better cos I went to Peru on holiday a couple of years ago and was warned then about the mislabelling of alpaca items. I was probably influenced by the freezing cold and snow that I trudged through on my way there. It's strange....all the scarves in the shop were priced at £6 despite some being wool or synthetic or fleece or wotever and some were new and some rather worn....odd!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    It's the same in India.
    'Pashmina' is widely used to describe shawls but the wool comes from a particular kind of goat for true pashminas.

Bought a black long-line sleeveless top with a chiffon yoke. Only Mango but just what I've been looking for to go with the black & grey patterned leggings I have.

And a M&S short grey thick cardigan/jacket with black trim round the neckline, side edges, sleeves and bottom of the jacket.
    50% merino wool, 50% viscose.
    Lovely buttons.
    Will go great with above leggings.
    As it's wool, it's in the freezer.

£1.00 each from Air Ambulance.
    I didn't find the top myself, the manageress remembered I'd been looking for plain coloured long tops and whisked it off the rail as soon as I went into the shop.
    How's that for service?
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Feb 18, 7:46 PM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 223,701 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've got a new-to-me bicycle bell for £1 this afternoon in a chazzer. Woop-woop!

It's not nearly as lovely as the large, domed plain black bell, with the wonderfully plangent tone, which I bought new last autumn for £12.99. Although it does have the advantage of being Here and the black beauty is Elsewhere with the stolen pushbike - I reckon the couple of weeks' worth of ownership added up to £2-per-ding.

Never mind, I shall be able to ding-a-ling (courteously) along the cycle path to avoid startling pedestrians.

ETA; Wanna laff? Just after I posted this, a pal dropped in on me for a cuppa and I was brandishing my new bell. She suggested I put it on the bike right now (bike is being kept indoors) but I CBA to rootle under the bed for the toolkit and jokingly asked if she had a Phillips screwdriver to hand? Bearing in mind this is a respectable woman on her way back from a responsible job with a FTSE 100 company.......... so she opens her work bag and pulls out a Phillips screwdriver (correct size for the job, too). Gosh, we laffed.
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 12-02-2018 at 9:00 PM. Reason: to add a bit
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,919Posts Today

7,848Users online

Martin's Twitter