Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,302Posts
    • 37,297Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one
Page 12
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 8th Feb 18, 8:11 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 2,780 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Being a buggy user myself I'm always hyper cautious about not blocking exits etc (ten years in facilities management with full on health and safety training etc).

What I find really irritating is the frequency with which people never bother offering to hold the door for me. Don't get me wrong, I can always manage it myself, but currently being over seven months pregnant as well, a little assistance would be appreciated. One older woman happened to be on the same chazzer route as me the other week and she let the door shut on me in three shops in a row, then in the third shop started cooing over how cute my son was in the buggy!!

I was brought up to hold open doors for those less able and being 5'8 I often also offer to help people reach items up on high shelves as well....
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Feb 18, 8:50 AM
    • 19,067 Posts
    • 50,364 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Being a buggy user myself I'm always hyper cautious about not blocking exits etc (ten years in facilities management with full on health and safety training etc).

What I find really irritating is the frequency with which people never bother offering to hold the door for me. Don't get me wrong, I can always manage it myself, but currently being over seven months pregnant as well, a little assistance would be appreciated. One older woman happened to be on the same chazzer route as me the other week and she let the door shut on me in three shops in a row, then in the third shop started cooing over how cute my son was in the buggy!!
    Originally posted by Lucy5781
    And that's a whole new thread all on its own!
    I always hold doors for people - and say 'thanks' if someone does it for me.
    But the number of people who just breeze past when you do open the door for them is shocking - and saddening.

I was brought up to hold open doors for those less able and being 5'8 I often also offer to help people reach items up on high shelves as well....
    Originally posted by Lucy5781
    You'd be my best friend.

Just getting ready to go on my weekly trek round the shops (Aldi, Fultons, Iceland and Tesco) and charity shops (5) in the village.
    It usually takes me about 2-and-a-half hours.
    My little shopping trolley has done many miles along this route, I wish I'd had some sort of measuring device on it.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 8th Feb 18, 9:05 AM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 55,646 Thanks
    silvasava
    Polly - maybe you need a pedometer? I use on just to make sure I move enough! It can be very surprising how much or how little you move.
    As another tall one I often get items from top shelves and also those 'cupboards' over the tops of freezers.
    As a mum of two with a year between them (very grown up now) I've never forgotten what a struggle it can be with babies and tots so I will hold the door open etc. DH is always quick to help with buggies going down stairs etc.
    Off to my local hospice craft shop today. A local church is doing a waterfall of 6000 poppies and the ladies of my sailing club have been recruited! Need redxand black wool and some fabric too if I can find some.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 8th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 10,815 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    And then, and I can't quite believe I witnessed this, another woman walking around eating chips! In between stuffing chips in her mouth she was rifling through the clothes with greasy fingers....ick ick. Then she decided to try on a coat and so she asked a complete stranger to hold her chips...and the woman obliged!!! Wot is the world coming to? (Or am I completely out of sync these days?)
    Originally posted by Mir!
    The woman was probably so shocked that she didn't know what to say.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 10/60
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Feb 18, 9:47 AM
    • 24,856 Posts
    • 52,721 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I would have asked “would madam like chips with that?”
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 8th Feb 18, 10:08 AM
    • 7,769 Posts
    • 8,470 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    My weakness is the till, credit card transactions bringing on a cold sweat!
    Originally posted by Artytarty
    Local charity shop (Cancer Research) has had two dud £20 notes in a week.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 8th Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    • 4,302 Posts
    • 37,297 Thanks
    Floss
    ...I always hold doors for people - and say 'thanks' if someone does it for me.
    But the number of people who just breeze past when you do open the door for them is shocking ...
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    If i have held a door open for someone who doesn't thank me, I say Thank you in a loud carrying voice
    • Miró
    • By Miró 8th Feb 18, 10:37 AM
    • 5,544 Posts
    • 23,692 Thanks
    Miró
    I will happily hold a door open for anyone, (it's just about being kind isn't it?), man/woman/child/old/young/disabled/able bodied - even been known to hold a door for a dog a few times too And then there was the time I held the door open in a major supermarket for a mouse.....it had been disturbed in the veggie section and made a dash for the door which was shut....but not for long!

Where I do find a stark difference is in those who are rude, pushy and grabby. My observation is that they often are not UK raised (that is not to say that all immigrants are rude, far from it. I think it!!!8217;s a behavioural aspect of life here that just hasn!!!8217;t registered as yet).
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    That kind of behaviour is rife here too.....I would have hesitated to comment on it myself, (foot in mouth syndrome!), but you put it so well!

Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I would have been too! I remember, yonks ago, when smoking was acceptable everywhere being asked by someone in a shop to hold a cigarette whilst they got their purse out. I have always had a phobia about smoking and all it's apparatus and just could not touch a cigarette....I ran out of the shop and burt into tears

Local charity shop (Cancer Research) has had two dud £20 notes in a week.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    I've just realised I was given three old pound coins in my change yesterday from the chazza shop....I'm sure it was a mistake and I should have noticed at the time. Oh well, will have to put them in a charity box somewhere
    Last edited by Miró; 08-02-2018 at 5:14 PM.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 8th Feb 18, 10:49 AM
    • 3,812 Posts
    • 12,857 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    My weakness is the till, credit card transactions bringing on a cold sweat!
    Originally posted by Artytarty
    I hated using tils in all my retail/bar/cafe jobs, so I'm always patient when volunteers struggle with them.

On the subject of fake £20s, we had an old Elgar (out of circulation since 2007) given to a collection for a retiring colleagure recently.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 8th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 4,302 Posts
    • 37,297 Thanks
    Floss
    Miro I use one of those for trolleys
    • GreenBitterfly
    • By GreenBitterfly 8th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    GreenBitterfly
    The volunteers at my local Scope Charity shop are lovely, which part of the reason I take donations there. They also have a sensible pricing policy which makes me more willing to donate items to them.

Anyone here from the Kirklees area?, apparently there's going to be a new Mencap Charity shop opening in Dewsbury. The local population on the local area Facebook group aren't happy about another charity shop opening, but it's somewhere else for me to browse for books and DVDs!
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 8th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 2,780 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Baby #2 will be an Easter arrival?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Possibly lol

Her due date is 17th April but having been recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes, she could be induced not long after March 20th, so anywhere from six to 10 weeks from now, Easter/Passover (DH's family are Jewish) included. I'd hope she avoids April 1st though....

I'm distinctly suspicious the Duchess of Cambridge has a very similar due date.

DS should be about 19 months old when DD arrives xx

Found a gorgeous John Lewis dress for her in the hospice £1 shop today. Fairly certain I found an identical one for my god daughter, second-hand, about four years ago!!
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    • 19,067 Posts
    • 50,364 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Bought some brand new Lelli Kelly trainers.
    They're pearlised pink leather with glitter bits on (I think this brand is for kids). Very girly.
    Lovely pink soft leather insole and leather lining.
    Feel very comfortable, might take them on holiday with me.
    £4.00 Sue Ryder.
    Still had the original Charles Clinkard price sticker of £59.99.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 8th Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    • 4,232 Posts
    • 29,240 Thanks
    tessie bear
    I alwys glance round when I go through a shop door and hold open if need be...some people don't even look...the other day a man made a right song and dance about going back in to open a door for me...shame I had dh with me as I think I could have pulled....it was the door of a charity shop so feel ok mentioning it on the thread xxx
    on the brink...
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 8th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 223,701 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Oh happy day, I went to a favorite chazzer on a day (Thursday) that I don't tend to drop in.

What did the good luck fairies wave in front of my eyes? A pair of as-new trainers for Kid Bruv for £5 (full retail is £49.50) and he's thrilled, plus a Tilley shirt and a Rohan fleece. Those for moi.

If you're a geek for hi tec fabrics like wot I am (but only at chazzer prices) you'll know that shirt is circa £80 and that fleece probably about £70. Winning!

ETA; whoops, tired, forgot the prices, the Tilley blouse was £2.99 and the R0han fleece was £3.99.
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 08-02-2018 at 7:50 PM.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 8th Feb 18, 10:19 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 55,646 Thanks
    silvasava
    Very bargainaceous GQ - there used to be a Rohan shop in Chichester, don't know what happened to it but the quality was high as were the prices!
    Still donating this end!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 9th Feb 18, 6:56 AM
    • 295 Posts
    • 2,510 Thanks
    purpleybat
    If i have held a door open for someone who doesn't thank me, I say Thank you in a loud carrying voice
    Originally posted by Floss

i'm guilty of doing this too, or 'you're more than welcome' in a loud sarcastic voice, often the person gets red faced and mumbles 'thanks' before scuttling off. hopefully next time someone holds a door open they will remember and thank them.
    talking about odd shop staff, the lady manageress in our local cats protection shop is usually really chatty and friendly but I think I caught her on a bad day last week. as soon as I walked throo the door she pounced on me saying 'are you looking for anything in particular?' I said I was just browsing and she proceeded to follow me around the shop. I must've looked like a shop lifter that day!
    happily tho I did find a teacup and saucer I needed for a small craft project, i'm making them into pin cushions for my sisters. has taken months to find pretty cups and saucers singularly, my pal who works in a charity shop tells me they recycle them cos few people want them.
    gc 2017 £1841.27.
    2018 jan £124.69
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Feb 18, 10:42 AM
    • 24,856 Posts
    • 52,721 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    i'm guilty of doing this too, or 'you're more than welcome' in a loud sarcastic voice
    Originally posted by purpleybat
    Make like Maui:

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 9th Feb 18, 12:13 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 4,747 Thanks
    Artytarty
    I on the other hand, was always too eager to help!
    I’d dash over to open the shop door if I saw a customer approaching with bags,then offer to take the bags out to the back for sorting- only to be told ‘ thank you very much but that’s my shopping,” haha, embarrassing and I did it more than once!
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 10th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 4,747 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Large Kilmer type jar , Barneys,99p
    I like to keep my dry store cupboard goods in them.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,919Posts Today

7,848Users online

Martin's Twitter