Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,290Posts
    • 37,057Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one
Page 11
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Feb 18, 10:01 AM
    • 19,000 Posts
    • 50,215 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Just been in Oxfam whilst kicking my heels waiting for my bus.
    Found a BNWT M&S sports bra in my size.
    Was a bit unsure how supportive it would be so asked to try it on.

'Well if you do, we can't sell it'.
    'Really? Why not?'
    Well, it's underwear' (in a 'are you stupid?' tone of voice)

I pointed out that I could walk 100 yards up to M&S, try as many bras on as I liked and they would still put them back on the rack to sell.
    And that I could understand it if it was knickers or bikini bottoms but not a bra.

She just stood there, with a 'I've spouted the company policy and don't know where to go from here' look on her face.

'Tell you what, I'll leave it'.

Is it me?
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 6th Feb 18, 10:18 AM
    • 7,768 Posts
    • 8,464 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Was a bit unsure how supportive it would be so asked to try it on....
    I pointed out that I could walk 100 yards up to M&S, try as many bras on as I liked
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    So find the same bra in M&S, try it on, then go back to Oxfam to buy it. When a different person's on the till.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Feb 18, 1:45 PM
    • 19,000 Posts
    • 50,215 Thanks
    Pollycat
    So find the same bra in M&S, try it on, then go back to Oxfam to buy it. When a different person's on the till.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Now why didn't I think of that........?

It's not current stock, at least it isn't in my local store and not online.
    And having pondered on it, I don't think it would have had enough support for me.
    And I already have a drawerful of sports bras.
    Not to mention the principle.

It was the (imho) odd behaviour of the sales assistant that I was commenting on.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 6th Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    • 5,535 Posts
    • 23,627 Thanks
    Mirů
    Was a bit unsure how supportive it would be so asked to try it on.

'Well if you do, we can't sell it'.
    'Really? Why not?'
    Well, it's underwear' (in a 'are you stupid?' tone of voice)

I pointed out that I could walk 100 yards up to M&S, try as many bras on as I liked and they would still put them back on the rack to sell.
    And that I could understand it if it was knickers or bikini bottoms but not a bra.

She just stood there, with a 'I've spouted the company policy and don't know where to go from here' look on her face.

'Tell you what, I'll leave it'.

Is it me?
    I think I met her twin sister today in another Oxfam. I spotted a basket of perfumes and toiletries this afternoon including a 3/4 full bottle of Davidoff Cool Water Woman EDT which I really like. Had just taken off the top to have a quick squirt to check that it wasn't stale, (having been caught out before!), when 'the woman' came flying at me and grabbed the bottle, shrieking that I couldn't spray it in the shop. The reason given was that if everyone did it there would be none left in the bottle to sell! I explained about having previously purchased perfume-ey things that were so old they had gawn orft only to be told it was 'purchase as seen only'. I told her curtly that on this occasion I would now not be purchasing and stomped off out of the shop. Put me in a bad mood for the rest of the afternoon! Especially as I didn't find anything else of interest at all on my weekly trip to Otley. Did bump into an old acquaintance tho and spent a nice half hour chatting on the bus home so equilibrium restored
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 6th Feb 18, 3:54 PM
    • 3,476 Posts
    • 55,483 Thanks
    silvasava
    Gawd protect us from 'jobsworth's' !!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th Feb 18, 11:18 PM
    • 24,836 Posts
    • 52,646 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Gawd protect us from 'jobsworth's' !!
    Originally posted by silvasava
    The sad thing is, they probably don't realise what a disservice they do the charity
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 7th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    • 3,663 Posts
    • 33,919 Thanks
    dolly84
    Quite a few years ago I was in a CS and they had a basket of barbie clothes, my DD was having a look through them and whilst she was still looking (she was about 6 at the time) an elderly volunteer came over and snatched the basket away muttering furiously and started to re-organise them. I told her what I thought and we left.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 24,836 Posts
    • 52,646 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Quite a few years ago I was in a CS and they had a basket of barbie clothes, my DD was having a look through them and whilst she was still looking (she was about 6 at the time) an elderly volunteer came over and snatched the basket away muttering furiously and started to re-organise them. I told her what I thought and we left.
    Originally posted by dolly84

I would like to think that we've moved on from those days. We've had a paradigm shift from caning backsides to revering our kids.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    • 19,000 Posts
    • 50,215 Thanks
    Pollycat
    OK.
    Whilst I'm on a 'whinge-fest' , does it annoy anyone else when assistants are so concerned with sorting rails of stuff out that you can't get to look at what you want to browse?
    I thought the idea was to sell items to benefit the charity, rather than annoy potential customers because a previous customer just happened to put a size 10 dress back with the size 14s or put the hanger back on the rail facing the wrong way.
    Or should I go back to bed and get out on the OH's side?

TBH, assistants getting in my way annoys me whatever type of shop I'm in.
    I know you're doing your job but if if you didn't have customers, you wouldn't have a job at all.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 7th Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 5,535 Posts
    • 23,627 Thanks
    Mirů
    Frequently happens to me in one charity shop when I'm looking through the basket of scarves. How on earth do they expect to sell things if you can't have a proper look???

OK.
    Whilst I'm on a 'whinge-fest' , does it annoy anyone else when assistants are so concerned with sorting rails of stuff out that you can't get to look at what you want to browse?
    I thought the idea was to sell items to benefit the charity, rather than annoy potential customers because a previous customer just happened to put a size 10 dress back with the size 14s or put the hanger back on the rail facing the wrong way.
    Or should I go back to bed and get out on the OH's side?

I know you're doing your job but if if you didn't have customers, you wouldn't have a job at all.

Yup, infuriates me too
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Feb 18, 10:00 AM
    • 19,000 Posts
    • 50,215 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Air Ambulance had 2 baskets of items donated by Asda.
    One full of socks and knickers (and a very glam basque ) 3 for £1 and the other with vest tops, pj bottoms & tops etc 2 for £1.00.

The knickers were samples and had big labels on with quite interesting comments about fabric etc.
    I bought 3 pair of white 'shorts-style' ones for £1.00.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 7th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    • 4,232 Posts
    • 29,236 Thanks
    tessie bear
    oh yes when you cant have a look because the assistant needs to work on that rail at that precise 2 mins you wanted to stand there and maybe buy...very annoying xx
    on the brink...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Feb 18, 4:05 PM
    • 24,836 Posts
    • 52,646 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    A chazzzer is not the ideal place to work if you are OCD about the merchandising
    oh yes when you cant have a look because the assistant needs to work on that rail at that precise 2 mins you wanted to stand there and maybe buy...very annoying xx
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    I get this all the time with books, but tbf its usually the sixth formers getting some work experience for their CV. Older people are quick to shift their position.

Popped out this afternoon and spent an unexpected £7: 3 books for £1, a fitted knit in fuschia for £2, and a summer blouse for £2 (expensive for a chazzer buy but just too cute to resist!). And also this BUDU leather change mat in grey (not the bottle holder) for £2, both sell new for £33.89. Its in perfect condition, will of course clean it to my satisfaction and then pop it in my handbag - ideal for sitting on for outdoor park events when summer finally arrives!

• Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 7th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 4,747 Thanks
    Artytarty
    N
    Ha! I do a quick scan read of this thread on my tablet in the vertical format which means I canít see the poster names left. I donít know why, it just suits me that way.
    I see a mention of books and just know itís you Vfm4meplease!

I feel the need to apologise for all rude cHarity shop staff , I was one for five years. Some of your stories are toe curlingly embarrassing.
    In my experience it tended to be the paid staff who were rude to customers, we had one manager in particular who could have her own thread of misdemeanours! Gone now luckily.
    One of the the things I notice is the chat between staff that makes customers feel invisible. I hate that.
    No bargains for me lately, Iím trying to be good.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 7th Feb 18, 5:09 PM
    • 5,535 Posts
    • 23,627 Thanks
    Mirů
    One of my current charity shop missions is to find enough of those garment storage/protector hanging bag thingies suitable for storing my winter coats should warmer weather ever arrive. Found two more today....50p for the pair

Today's annoyances.....(bearing in mind most chazza shops are small), two women with kid's buggies each the size of tanks both with screaming passengers and each with another toddler dangling from the handles completely blocking the aisles and the doorway. And then, and I can't quite believe I witnessed this, another woman walking around eating chips! In between stuffing chips in her mouth she was rifling through the clothes with greasy fingers....ick ick. Then she decided to try on a coat and so she asked a complete stranger to hold her chips...and the woman obliged!!! Wot is the world coming to? (Or am I completely out of sync these days?)
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 7th Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 38,584 Thanks
    Katiehound

Today's annoyances.....(bearing in mind most chazza shops are small), two women with kid's buggies each the size of tanks both with screaming passengers and each with another toddler dangling from the handles completely blocking the aisles and the doorway. And then, and I can't quite believe I witnessed this, another woman walking around eating chips! In between stuffing chips in her mouth she was rifling through the clothes with greasy fingers....ick ick. Then she decided to try on a coat and so she asked a complete stranger to hold her chips...and the woman obliged!!! Wot is the world coming to? (Or am I completely out of sync these days?)
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Yes!!
    Oh dear, you're supposed to feel charitable when things like that happen!! Poor things, they don't know any better...( and neither will the next generation by the sound of things)

Sorry, the story made me laugh, especially as where were the flipping shop assistants when you needed them? I am particularly thinking of the ones who didn't like their display spoilt, their rails muddled or their perfume wasted! Clearly not on duty in that shop.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ...840MM (84p) + RK 7p= 91pence
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 7th Feb 18, 5:35 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 4,747 Thanks
    Artytarty
    I used to take it as a great compliment when customers came in and asked for something from my window display! They always apologised but it was great, one morning I sold two coats in succession plus accessories from the same redressed mannequin.
    We always try to put an outfit together, shoes or boots bag scarf etc with the main item of clothing.
    I miss doing the window dressing, the new manager wanted to do it herself and I felt my humble talents were wasted and not appreciated.
    My weakness is the till, credit card transactions bringing on a cold sweat!
    Most customers are very pleasant, maybe looking for a chat as well as browse, I used to get into trouble for letting mUms with kids use the loo. Health and safety.....
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 7th Feb 18, 5:49 PM
    • 5,535 Posts
    • 23,627 Thanks
    Mirů

Sorry, the story made me laugh, especially as where were the flipping shop assistants when you needed them? I am particularly thinking of the ones who didn't like their display spoilt, their rails muddled or their perfume wasted! Clearly not on duty in that shop.
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    One was in the back eating the smelliest pot noodle EVER! And the other was in a corner making sure the hangers were all facing the same way and oblivious to the chaos!!!
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 7th Feb 18, 8:07 PM
    • 10,076 Posts
    • 16,156 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Most customers are very pleasant, maybe looking for a chat as well as browse, I used to get into trouble for letting mUms with kids use the loo. Health and safety.....
    Originally posted by Artytarty
    Not as unhealthy or unsafe as having a puddle on the shop floor!
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 8th Feb 18, 7:26 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 2,238 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    I snaffled a National Trust 100% silk scarf in lovely pastel shades from Age Concern for 4.99. Nice for the summer I thought.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

458Posts Today

5,349Users online

Martin's Twitter