Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Katie-Kat-Kins
    • By Katie-Kat-Kins 4th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    • 1,671Posts
    • 1,778Thanks
    Katie-Kat-Kins
    Insurance following Liverpool Echo Arena Fire
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    Insurance following Liverpool Echo Arena Fire 4th Jan 18 at 12:18 PM
    My car was destroyed in the New Years Eve fire. I have claimed for the car and my insurers have paid out already, super quick hassle free service so a big thumbs up for admiral.

However I had a lot of "stuff" in the car, and my motor insurance policy is limited to £150 for contents. There is no prospect of recovering anything at all. The replacement value will exceed that considerably so I am considering whether it is worth a claim on my home contents insurance.

My home insurance is with direct line with a £50 excess and I haven't claimed in 10 years.

Then considering the stuff that has been lost, it is almost all clothes, shoes, make-up, bags, umbrellas etc. Plus a few bits for my pet and jump leads, phone chargers etc. No high value electrical items or anything like that.

I only have receipts for a handful of the items, and many of them were expensive but a couple of years old, things like a decent waterproof coat that can easily cost over £100 but you expect to have several years use out of.

What I am interested in is how a claim like this would be dealt with so that I can decide whether it is worth claiming. If they will only pay out for items with proof of purchase and then they only pay second hand value then there is probably no point. Equally I am facing replacing a lot of stuff at quite considerable cost so if I can claim and it will out weigh the inevitable premium increase it would be worthwhile.

Any advice?
Page 1
    • Reardoa
    • By Reardoa 4th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Reardoa
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    Your home insurance would need to include personal belongings which covers your items away from home. It would be worth totting up the total value to see whether it would be worth claiming for but bear in mind the claim maybe reduced for wear and tear so you probably wont receive that amount.
    There is no absolute answer but take into an inevitable claims loading plus loss of no claims discount over the next 2/3 yrs until you build it back up.
    • Katie-Kat-Kins
    • By Katie-Kat-Kins 8th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 1,778 Thanks
    Katie-Kat-Kins
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    I do have cover for accidental damage outside the home, I am just wondering what I would be likely to get back if I claimed so that I can work out whether it is worth it. I suspect not as if they discount for wear and tear and will only cover things I can prove then it probably won't amount to much when you take into account the excess.

I'll just have to hope they prove what caused the fire so I have a chance of recovering against an at fault party. Lots of people are going to be very out of pocket following this.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 4,174 Posts
    • 3,131 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    Reports are that the fire started in an old landrover.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,371Posts Today

9,559Users online

Martin's Twitter