Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • col1981
    • By col1981 4th Jan 18, 10:58 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    col1981
    Smeg Dishwasher 15 Months old
    • #1
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:58 AM
    Smeg Dishwasher 15 Months old 4th Jan 18 at 10:58 AM
    I purchased a number of kitchen appliances from ao.com on 26th August 2016. one of these appliances was a Smeg di6012-1 dishwasher. the kitchen itself and subsequent appliances were fitted October 2016.
    For the past 2 weeks over Christmas 2017 I have been recieving a error message during dishwasher cycles which causes the cycle to stop and unable to continue. I have followed the Manuel to correct error code E1 but this seems to be a persistent problem.

    I have requested this to be fixed or replace the component or fault to allow us to be able to use our kitchen appliance, as this now sits dormant in a fitted kitchen. I believe a item such as this should last for a period longer than 13 months.

    any help or advice would be appreciated I will update the thread with the reply from ao.com
Page 1
    • col1981
    • By col1981 4th Jan 18, 11:01 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    col1981
    • #2
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:01 AM
    • #2
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:01 AM
    Dear Customer Care Department,

    Thank you for your speedy reply, however I am unhappy with the proposed action. I bought and had this dish washer installed less than 15 months ago. I think it is reasonable for. dishwasher to last a period more than this. I believe that this item must be faulty as it is hardly ever used my wife and I are the only persons who live and use this and this is as and when. I believe that this fault / problem should not of occurred with the appliances current age and usage its had.

    I do not believe that the appliance I have purchased was sold fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality. I am respectfully requesting either a full refund, a repair or a replacement of the product.

    Regards,
    • col1981
    • By col1981 4th Jan 18, 11:02 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    col1981
    • #3
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:02 AM
    • #3
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:02 AM
    Hi Colin,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Before an appliance is placed on the market, it undergoes vigorous testing, as do the component parts. However, no manufacturer can guarantee how long an appliance will last before a failure occurs. Therefore, the manufacturer supplies a guarantee period for parts and labour in which repairs and parts are covered.

    After the expiry of the guarantee period, normal service charges apply and an independent engineer would need to be organised to repair the machine and the cost covered by the consumer. If you buy goods which are faulty when sold, you have the right to claim for a repair or partial refund from your retailer for up to a period of time believed to be reasonable.

    However, after the first six months you have to show by an engineer's report that the fault was there upon delivery. In order for an exchange or repair to be organised you would need to send us an engineer's report stating the fault has been there since the delivery, due to a faulty part inserted during manufacture.

    I hope this helps and once you've got the engineer report, please forward it to ourselves and we can take a look into this for you and get this resolved.

    Many thanks
    • col1981
    • By col1981 4th Jan 18, 11:03 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    col1981
    • #4
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:03 AM
    • #4
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:03 AM
    Dear Sir or Madam,

    I am writing to complain about an issue with Online Electrical Store at ao.com. I have contacted your customer services team with my complaint, but am dissatisfied with the response I've received so far. This is because:

    I do not believe that this period of time I have I had the item is beyond a reasonable amount of time that the goods of the ammount should last, and therefore believe that I am fully entitled to be protected under the consumer rights act due to this.

    As I am sure you understand, the situation as it stands is very frustrating and I would be really grateful if we could move forwards towards a solution.

    Yours sincerely,
    • col1981
    • By col1981 4th Jan 18, 11:03 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    col1981
    • #5
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:03 AM
    • #5
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:03 AM
    any help clarifying my responsibility or liability would be appreciated, first time I have ever done something like this. a bit miffed at ao.com
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 4th Jan 18, 11:13 AM
    • 9,675 Posts
    • 10,871 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • #6
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:13 AM
    • #6
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:13 AM
    What AO.Com stated in their reply to you is totally correct and it states exactly what is required from you before they have any liability regarding providing a remedy under the Consumer rights act.

    At present, there is no way to know why the appliance has failed and for all anyone knows, it could down to misuse or faulty installation and this is why the law requires you to prove otherwise.

    You need to find a local repair person who is willing to look at the machine and determine what is wrong with it and if it is due to a manufacturing defect, state this in a written report and submit it to AO.
    Last edited by shaun from Africa; 04-01-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 4th Jan 18, 12:48 PM
    • 3,293 Posts
    • 9,110 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • #7
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:48 PM
    • #7
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:48 PM
    To add to Shaun's post. If the engineer's report finds in your favour then ao.com will also be liable to reimburse you for the cost of the report.
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 4th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • 5,668 Posts
    • 3,542 Thanks
    visidigi
    • #8
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • #8
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    I purchased a number of kitchen appliances from ao.com on 26th August 2016. one of these appliances was a Smeg di6012-1 dishwasher. the kitchen itself and subsequent appliances were fitted October 2016.
    For the past 2 weeks over Christmas 2017 I have been recieving a error message during dishwasher cycles which causes the cycle to stop and unable to continue. I have followed the Manuel to correct error code E1 but this seems to be a persistent problem.

    I have requested this to be fixed or replace the component or fault to allow us to be able to use our kitchen appliance, as this now sits dormant in a fitted kitchen. I believe a item such as this should last for a period longer than 13 months.

    any help or advice would be appreciated I will update the thread with the reply from ao.com
    Originally posted by col1981
    Dear Customer Care Department,

    Thank you for your speedy reply, however I am unhappy with the proposed action. I bought and had this dish washer installed less than 15 months ago. I think it is reasonable for. dishwasher to last a period more than this. I believe that this item must be faulty as it is hardly ever used my wife and I are the only persons who live and use this and this is as and when. I believe that this fault / problem should not of occurred with the appliances current age and usage its had.

    I do not believe that the appliance I have purchased was sold fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality. I am respectfully requesting either a full refund, a repair or a replacement of the product.

    Regards,
    Originally posted by col1981

    Hi Colin,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Before an appliance is placed on the market, it undergoes vigorous testing, as do the component parts. However, no manufacturer can guarantee how long an appliance will last before a failure occurs. Therefore, the manufacturer supplies a guarantee period for parts and labour in which repairs and parts are covered.

    After the expiry of the guarantee period, normal service charges apply and an independent engineer would need to be organised to repair the machine and the cost covered by the consumer. If you buy goods which are faulty when sold, you have the right to claim for a repair or partial refund from your retailer for up to a period of time believed to be reasonable.

    However, after the first six months you have to show by an engineer's report that the fault was there upon delivery. In order for an exchange or repair to be organised you would need to send us an engineer's report stating the fault has been there since the delivery, due to a faulty part inserted during manufacture.

    I hope this helps and once you've got the engineer report, please forward it to ourselves and we can take a look into this for you and get this resolved.

    Many thanks
    Originally posted by col1981
    Dear Sir or Madam,

    I am writing to complain about an issue with Online Electrical Store at ao.com. I have contacted your customer services team with my complaint, but am dissatisfied with the response I've received so far. This is because:

    I do not believe that this period of time I have I had the item is beyond a reasonable amount of time that the goods of the ammount should last, and therefore believe that I am fully entitled to be protected under the consumer rights act due to this.

    As I am sure you understand, the situation as it stands is very frustrating and I would be really grateful if we could move forwards towards a solution.

    Yours sincerely,
    Originally posted by col1981
    any help clarifying my responsibility or liability would be appreciated, first time I have ever done something like this. a bit miffed at ao.com
    Originally posted by col1981
    And to further add - the above is a prime example of making sure you know your rights before you 'let rip' on a retailer. AO.com are absolutely on the money and correct with all the information they have shared/advised you of.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 4th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    • 4,335 Posts
    • 4,711 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • #9
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    • #9
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    Don’t Smeg offer more than the standard 1 year warranty? The current models have a 5 year one.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 4th Jan 18, 1:58 PM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 3,373 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    Don’t Smeg offer more than the standard 1 year warranty? The current models have a 5 year one.
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    I think you have to register it Smeg for the FREE extended warranty, which one can only assume the OP failed to do.

    (I am making an assumption that it also included this model which would appear to be no longer produced)
    • annie42
    • By annie42 4th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    annie42
    Guarantees are in addition to your rights under the Sale of Goods act. It more or less says appliances should have a reasonable life expectancy depending on cost and you have six years in which to make a claim in the small claims court if the manufacturer won't co-operate. I'm just about to tackle Bosch as I have a dishwasher just over two years old which repeatedly leaks and my repair man says is cheaper to replace. I bought it when my old Bosch dishwasher conked out after twelve years.
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 4th Jan 18, 8:45 PM
    • 5,668 Posts
    • 3,542 Thanks
    visidigi
    It more or less says appliances should have a reasonable life expectancy depending on cost and you have up to six years in which to make a claim in the small claims court if the manufacturer won't co-operate against the retailer of the goods you purchased.
    Originally posted by annie42
    corrected that for you...
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 4th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 3,293 Posts
    • 9,110 Thanks
    LilElvis
    corrected that for you...
    Originally posted by visidigi
    You forgot to point out that she is also citing outdated legislation.
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 4th Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 5,668 Posts
    • 3,542 Thanks
    visidigi
    You forgot to point out that she is also citing outdated legislation.
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    I was going to, but it does depend on the purchase date of the goods - so I removed it from my reply as I couldn't be sure as the date specifics weren't accurate enough
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 4th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 9,675 Posts
    • 10,871 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I'm just about to tackle Bosch as I have a dishwasher just over two years old which repeatedly leaks and my repair man says is cheaper to replace.
    Originally posted by annie42
    Has your repair man given you a written report stating that the reason for the repeated leaks is because of a manufacturing defect in the appliance?
    Without this report, the retailer who sold you the machine has no legal obligation to provide any sort of remedy.
    • annie42
    • By annie42 4th Jan 18, 10:05 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    annie42
    Apologies. Sale of goods act applies to my purchase but not OP's. From what I understand a small claims court would take into account the cost of the appliance as opposed to how long it lasted. Mine cost £605 and after a little over two years is uneconomical to repair and my man says he will write a report. He says he has never been called out to a Bosch dishwasher as often as he has to mine. Apologies to the OP for hijacking this thread.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

173Posts Today

1,349Users online

Martin's Twitter