Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • curty510
    • By curty510 4th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 169Posts
    • 333Thanks
    curty510
    Which car to buy
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    Which car to buy 4th Jan 18 at 10:29 AM
    Hi all, looking for some advice on what car to buy my good lady. She currently has a company car and is going to change her career. Our 'family car' is a Range Rover and is far to thirsty to use and I commute on a motorcycle.

She is looking at a 60 mile round commute daily, mainly motorway/some A roads, 5 days per week.
    She has been viewing Min Cooper D's, as offer 75mpg and VED(ROAD TAX) exempt, appro 2011 plate, any thoughts on these?

Not got a budget really, looking to spend about £6k, cash, not finace/pcp ETC
    debt free, savings in the bank
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 4th Jan 18, 4:27 PM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 1,370 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:27 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:27 PM
    I prefer larger ones, Mondeo size. Makes a commute like that a lot more relaxing and the MPG hit isn't that much over the Mini. High 50's should be possible.
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 4th Jan 18, 4:30 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:30 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:30 PM
    Interested to hear view as i am in exactly the same position.

Considering medium size 4/5 door or estate, Audi A4, VW Passat etc?
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 4th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 6,104 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    vansboy
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    If the Range Rover is diesel, then you'll be around halving the fuel cost of her using it for the commute.

But if the alternative isfor it to not be used during the week, wouldn't the added cost of fuel help offset running costs of another car being bought and maintained?

might be worth trying, initially.

VB
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 5th Jan 18, 12:27 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:27 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:27 PM
    The Mini is very economical, I had one and it was getting around 70 MPG.

However the ride is quite harsh, take a test drive and see how you feel.

Ours needed a new DMF/Clutch at around 90k which was poor and cost £1k to replace but I think the previous owners did a lot of short/start-stop journeys.

They are quite expensive to run for a small car, look at servicing costs/intervals, replacement pads/discs etc.
    • verityboo
    • By verityboo 5th Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 1,117 Thanks
    verityboo
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    Hi all, looking for some advice on what car to buy my good lady. She currently has a company car and is going to change her career. Our 'family car' is a Range Rover and is far to thirsty to use and I commute on a motorcycle.

She is looking at a 60 mile round commute daily, mainly motorway/some A roads, 5 days per week.
    She has been viewing Min Cooper D's, as offer 75mpg and VED(ROAD TAX) exempt, appro 2011 plate, any thoughts on these?

Not got a budget really, looking to spend about £6k, cash, not finace/pcp ETC
    Originally posted by curty510
    I wouldn't recommend a high mileage Mini Cooper D of that vintage as they use the Peugeot 1.6 diesel which is renowned for Turbo failures in Mini's, Fords, Volvo's etc due to the oil feed pipes clogging up - same engine and problems in Fords badged as 1.6Tdci (google 1.6 tdci turbo problem). That is in addition to Mini's not have a great reputation for being reliable
    • ACG
    • By ACG 5th Jan 18, 2:26 PM
    • 16,087 Posts
    • 8,274 Thanks
    ACG
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:26 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:26 PM
    Ive just handed back my Renault Captur on a lease, just looked online and they may be a little out of budget but not massively - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712011725475

I know there are some people not fans of crossovers but I loved this car for motorway driving. I drove from Manchester to Essex without stopping and felt fine afterwards so I am sure a 60 mile commute will be a piece of cake. Its not actually a big car, just a clio, maybe slightly bigger. I was going to get another but got a good deal on something else instead - oddly, the car I have now is 3 years newer but I would go back to the captur everyday.
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 6th Jan 18, 10:21 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:21 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:21 AM
    I think your logic is faulty. The Range Rover is costing you tax, insurance and depreciation just sitting on the drive.

If you buy another car, then you'll be paying tax, insurance and getting hit by depreciation twice.

If the Range Rover gets 20mpg, daily fuel costs are £16 ish, times 220 working days per year = £3,500. A diesel getting 55mpg would be £1,360, so the Range Rover would be £2,140 more per year in fuel.

Against that, you'd need to offset the insurance on the additional car, say £200/year and the depreciation on a £6,000 car at maybe £750/year. I won't attempt to model what return you could get on investing that £6,000, as it sounds like you have it in cash now.

So the true net cost of using the Range Rover would be about £1,200/year, plus there's the intangible benefit of commuting in a vehicle with far better crash safety than a MINI.
    Last edited by Debbie Savard; 06-01-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 6th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    • 4,988 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    Why are you thinking of adding another car to the family stock rather than replacing the Range Rover with something that fills both needs better?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 6th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 4,292 Posts
    • 3,139 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    Our 'family car' is a Range Rover and is far to thirsty to use
    Originally posted by curty510
    That's your problem - get rid.
    • curty510
    • By curty510 8th Jan 18, 11:29 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    curty510
    hi thanks, for the replies. Sadly we cannot be without a RR type car, as the wife & DD have horses which they tow on a regular basis. Im happy to go down to one car as i do not need use of one unless it snows/really icy roads.

I might look to see if i can replace the RR for a more economical towing vehicle etc, as would just be one lot of VED/Insurance etc.

Much appreciated
    debt free, savings in the bank
    • mbwoy84
    • By mbwoy84 10th Jan 18, 10:46 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    mbwoy84
    I would suggest a slightly older, well maintained, decent spec Audi A3 TDI as a good, reasonably sized (compact, but spacious and practical enough) everyday car.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,297Posts Today

8,853Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Of course but this question is about the specific "ladies first" rule. Ie a man giving a seat because it's a lady n? https://t.co/FBmEfwnHNM

• Today's twitter poll: Traditional manners have/had the concept of "ladies first". Is that compatible with gender eq? https://t.co/Qk4bC3pHjk

• RT @helwid87: @MartinSLewis Thankyou for your student loan refund advice. My £617 refund came through yesterday, making January less of a t?

• Follow Martin