Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 4th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 62Posts
    • 20Thanks
    Jm90
    No bond or agent fees, weary?
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    No bond or agent fees, weary? 4th Jan 18 at 10:29 AM
    Hi all, myself, husband and children are looking to move away.
    We have found a large home we would like to move into, however some of the carpets do need changing, i pointed this out and they replied that there would be no bond or agent fees so we could put the carpet down that we liked.

We are new to private renting and not sure if this is the norm or if its something to be weary of.

As every other house we have liked all incuur additional charges.

The house is also being advertised for sale, but have said that they would prefer to let it out.

Any advice welcome.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 4th Jan 18, 10:46 AM
    • 9,230 Posts
    • 12,244 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:46 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:46 AM
    a) Are you sure the person you are dealing with owns the place? There are scam/crook people pretending to be landlord, taking rent - from many people - the disappearing. (And it sounds odd, albeit not illegal).

b) The landlord must provide a safe, decent home within the law. Worn carpets may be OK, those with holes etc making tripping more likely probably not. How/why do they "need changing"?

Nothing to stop you or any other tenant in any other tenancy putting carpets or rugs down. Nailing them down, using gripper-rods probably you should get written agreement from landlord. When you leave you just have to leave it as it was, less fair-wear-and-tear so take carpets/rugs with you.

If he's providing dodgy carpets what else has he "forgotten"? Gas safety, safe electrics, declaring rent to tax-man, landlord insurance (important if place burns down, kids maimed - sorry but this is serious - then no/wrong-sort insurance so no payout so no home, big problem). On no permission to let/wrong sort of mortgage in which case building society/bank may repossess.

I'd be weary of such an offer: And also wary of it, perhaps what you meant. Certainly wary of such a landlord (I'm a landlord).

If you have a tenancy the fact that the place is sold doesn't end your tenancy nor require you to leave (even if new owner is outside with huge removal van, 3 bonkers kids & a screaming deranged hubbie). But new owner may evict you at end of fixed term using Thatcher's "no reason at all required" section 21.
    Last edited by theartfullodger; 04-01-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 4th Jan 18, 10:47 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:47 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:47 AM
    Hi all, myself, husband and children are looking to move away.
    We have found a large home we would like to move into, however some of the carpets do need changing, i pointed this out and they replied that there would be no bond or agent fees so we could put the carpet down that we liked.

We are new to private renting and not sure if this is the norm or if its something to be weary of.

As every other house we have liked all incuur additional charges.

The house is also being advertised for sale, but have said that they would prefer to let it out.

Any advice welcome.

Many thanks
    Originally posted by Jm90

Nothing to be weary of on it's own. Just that you will probably need to leave the carpet you put down.

If it's for sale, you need to either get a longer fixed term or accept you may need to move out after the first 6-12 months
    • P2P Expert
    • By P2P Expert 4th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    P2P Expert
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    I would avoid this property. There's nothing to stop them giving you notice after your six month tenancy period is up if they do get an offer to buy the house. Just think of all the moving costs you might then incur to move again. Also consider the hassle of people coming to view your home while the house is advertised for sale.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 4th Jan 18, 10:56 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:56 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:56 AM
    I would avoid this property. There's nothing to stop them giving you notice after your six month tenancy period is up if they do get an offer to buy the house. Just think of all the moving costs you might then incur to move again. Also consider the hassle of people coming to view your home while the house is advertised for sale.
    Originally posted by P2P Expert
    Eviction takes avg 40 weeks, and just say no to viewings. I agree with you, but wanted to elaborate on the OPs rights
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 4th Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jm90
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    Thanks all for the reply. I would have left the carpets down anyway when leaving and i would have definitely made sure this was a long tenancy.
    The house is on for sale with a different company altogether. He sent me their link as more pictures on their page.
    Most of our conversation has been quite short i. Responses to me which i find strange.

Like i say I'm new to it all and ive asked to view this sat. I just thought if it was a scam, would ve not be asking for money, not knocking it off.
    I have searched him up online and says hes a estate agent.

Im so desperate to get from here i thought i best ask as something just doesn't feel right.

The carpets just looks grubby to be honest, no noticeable holes that i can see
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 4th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 3,746 Posts
    • 12,608 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    Have you asked for a draft copy of the tenancy agreement, to include clarification of check-in/out procedure in the absence of a deposit? No fees/deposit is the landlord's decision, but it doesn't mean there should be no formal paperwork at all. Is the property significantly cheaper than similar sized ones in the area? Don't make a hasty decision.

You can always hire a steam cleaner for an afternoon to freshen up grubby carpets; I wouldn't waste your own money on a new one.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 4th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jm90
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    Thank you all for replying

The property is on zoopla, can anyone just list on there?

I've just emailed asking for a draft copy of the tenancy agreement, and as im not sure if he's the actual landlord or the agent ive asked him.

If i put his name in on google the estate company he works for comes up.

He just seems very short in responces and unlike anyone else ive dealt with when enquiring about a property

Just not sure why it is listed elsewhere for sale though.

Thanks
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 4th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jm90
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    Around the £450 mark for a 4 bed house

£750 for this one. Its 7bedroom.
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 4th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jm90
    Its via an agents based in sheffield.
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 4th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jm90
    Sorry it keeps updating the thread before I'm finished typing, as i said its an agents based in sheffield. They have other property's on their also. Around 10
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 4th Jan 18, 3:12 PM
    • 9,230 Posts
    • 12,244 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    Spend £3 with land registry for the deeds and find out name & address of owner.
    https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry

If different from the person you are dealing with, ask him why. (There may be a perfectly legitimate reason: You do not have to own a place to be a landlord).

Sounds to me that you are dealing with the agent. (Quite normal but see what land reg info says)
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 4th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 3,522 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    For that price extremely unpopular/ grotty area. No one wants to live there which is why the house is difficult to sell. It is also difficult to let that is why the price is so low. What associations are the estate agents members of? ARLA, NAEA, ombudsman scheme?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 4th Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    • 3,522 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Are you sure that the prices aren't just for one room in a house share?
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 4th Jan 18, 4:35 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jm90
    No its the whole house. It does need updating/decorating

I will do the land registry thing later.

Hes not emailed back as of yet.

I dont know how to find out who they are registered with to be honest only half the website loads on my phone,
    Im not sure if its my phone or the website playing up.
    Across the top of the website they have all the links to fb/Instagram/pinterest but once you click on them its not going anywhere but to the home pages.
    They have other properties on there too

I cant find any reviews about the company online. (Not sure of usually you do with this type of thing?

Thanks again all, like i say all new to me, dont want to move three hours away for it all to go wrong. Especially for the children.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 4th Jan 18, 4:38 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    Comms69
    No its the whole house. It does need updating/decorating

I will do the land registry thing later.

Hes not emailed back as of yet.

I dont know how to find out who they are registered with to be honest only half the website loads on my phone,
    Im not sure if its my phone or the website playing up.
    Across the top of the website they have all the links to fb/Instagram/pinterest but once you click on them its not going anywhere but to the home pages.
    They have other properties on there too

I cant find any reviews about the company online. (Not sure of usually you do with this type of thing?

Thanks again all, like i say all new to me, dont want to move three hours away for it all to go wrong. Especially for the children.
    Originally posted by Jm90

enter the website here, but leave spaces between '.'
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 4th Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    • 3,522 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Just give the name of the company and then we can research it for you.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 4th Jan 18, 5:18 PM
    • 3,930 Posts
    • 8,016 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    You say the house is for sale, but the owners would prefer to let it out. You also say you want a long lease.

You also say it's run-down, suggesting either a lack of owner-funding for upkeep, or a lack of commitment to looking after the property.

Any owner considering sale now is likely to consider it again in six months, a year, whatever. Any landlord not taking care of his property now (especially when letting it out cheaply) is unlikely to start maintaining it any better in the future.

I doubt you will find this a stable situation to rent for the longer term, and I would advise against changing carpets and the like.

It sounds like a problem house and a problem tenancy. I would avoid this one.
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 4th Jan 18, 5:44 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jm90
    The house is to let on zoopla - the listing states to contact a name and number which is what i have done and who I am now in contact with, because i hadn't seen anyone list like this before i assumed it was the actual owner of the property.

I emailed him and he called me and said there were other photos on a different site. He would send me the link.

When he sent the link, he said that on the site its on for sale but they would prefer to let it out long term rather than sell.

I mentioned the decorating, and also the carpets.
    He said it had new windows throughout and also been decorated since the photographs.

He said they wouldnt charge any fees or bond at all so we could put our own carpets in that we liked as a couple of rooms are in need or new ones.
    Thats when i thought it seemed odd, as surely thats a back up incase i mess them around.

Ive looked since and the listing is under a company called comparetheagents
    .com
    I thought i would ask on here as i wasnt sure how it all worked.
    Ive contacted multiple estate agents about various properties and they all incuur some sort of charge and are all informative, hes not, just replying one word answers most of the time.

Thank you
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 5th Jan 18, 2:05 PM
    • 3,930 Posts
    • 8,016 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    All I can say is avoid it like the plague. There is no sense in trying to rent this property for anything other than a short-term let, with the intent of taking it as it is.

Anything else will likely cost you heavily, and cause untold stress.

I know it's cheap; it's cheap for a reason! Leave well alone!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,574Posts Today

6,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin