Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Southernbird
    • By Southernbird 4th Jan 18, 7:42 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Southernbird
    Car HP / Spouse
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:42 AM
    Car HP / Spouse 4th Jan 18 at 7:42 AM
    Hi. I am new to this board, please be gentle :-)

My husbands bankruptcy has been approved after us deciding it was the only option, spend a long time trying to avoid it. Debt was CC, loan etc.

Weíve done a budget where bills are split 50/50 and itís considering household income and household shared bills.

Came out with us having 66p left after all.

My question is:
    My husband works different shifts and at time but rarely travels to different location in Uk for work.
    My car is on HP monthly cost £151 plus insurance etc. HP is in my name and car is registered in my name. Im not subject to bankruptcy.
    Without him having access to my car he simply canít get to and from work due to shift pattern.

On the budget we have put down he pays half of HP and half insurance. Still ends up cheaper than a pass for train if that was even a possibility.

My question is. Will the receiver accept this?

Please help and answer before tomorrow when he has his interview.

Thank you all and happy new year.
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    Hi Southernbird

Welcome to the forum. When someone applies for bankruptcy the Official Receiver (OR) will look at the household budget sheet and work out a fair split of the household bills. That might mean even though you and your husband split your bills 50/50, the OR would actually expect the person earning the most to pay a bigger share of the bills.

The HP agreement is a credit agreement in your name, and therefore your outgoing. It's probably going to be unlikely the OR will accept that is something your husband should be paying towards, but he could try and justify it by the fact that he needs the car to get to work.

I think it's less likely there will be an issue justifying a contribution towards the running costs of the car. Ultimately decisions like this can only be made by the OR. Try not to worry, your husband just needs to be open and honest about the situation tomorrow.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • TimeToRebuild
    • By TimeToRebuild 5th Jan 18, 12:42 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    TimeToRebuild
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:42 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 12:42 PM
    It is a hard one to say really, it fully comes down to the OR.

I know its not an answer but tell your husband to fully explain the situation about paying part of the car, all will become clear after the interview.

Hope it all goes well!
    • haggis0073
    • By haggis0073 5th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    haggis0073
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    as said above, you can explain to the OR, the interview is basically them going over what you put, as you get to the relevant section you can explain in more detail, but as said its down to what OR you get
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

264Posts Today

2,570Users online

Martin's Twitter