Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rebeccaaa
    • By Rebeccaaa 4th Jan 18, 12:10 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Rebeccaaa
    Visiting abroad on Universal Credit
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:10 AM
    Visiting abroad on Universal Credit 4th Jan 18 at 12:10 AM
    I've been on Universal Credit for at least over a year now and never left the country. I plan to go to the Netherlands within the next few months to visit a friend for a week and a few days, and because of the length, I knew I'd have to tell my advisor in case they needed me in.

I recall when I was on JSA once before that I heard I wasn't able to leave the country and still be signed on, or at least I wouldn't get paid for the time I was away. Now that Universal Credit is completely different, I wondered how it worked exactly. I've read things online that as long as you can still stick by your commitments (basically as long as you can still prove you're searching for work), you can go away for up to a month at a time. I just wanted some confirmation, although I plan on asking my adviser when I attend my next appointment which is soon.
Page 1
    • konark
    • By konark 5th Jan 18, 3:21 AM
    • 946 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    konark
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:21 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:21 AM
    Yes the theory is you can go abroad for up to a month on UC but you have to keep looking for work and possibly going to interviews including those at the Job Centre, which makes it a bit difficult. A lot will depend on the attitude of your job coach in how practical this will be.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 5th Jan 18, 7:53 AM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:53 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:53 AM
    I've been on Universal Credit for at least over a year now and never left the country. I plan to go to the Netherlands within the next few months to visit a friend for a week and a few days, and because of the length, I knew I'd have to tell my advisor in case they needed me in.

I recall when I was on JSA once before that I heard I wasn't able to leave the country and still be signed on, or at least I wouldn't get paid for the time I was away. Now that Universal Credit is completely different, I wondered how it worked exactly. I've read things online that as long as you can still stick by your commitments (basically as long as you can still prove you're searching for work), you can go away for up to a month at a time. I just wanted some confirmation, although I plan on asking my adviser when I attend my next appointment which is soon.
    Originally posted by Rebeccaaa
    Yes you can go BUT the work related requirments mean you have to be available for work at all times, which was what you signed for when you applied for UC. Going abroad for this length of time will mean you won't be available for work. See work related reauirments 93-99 here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/376/contents/made

You need to tell them you're going and most likely your UC will be affected for the time you're abroad.
    Last edited by poppy12345; 05-01-2018 at 7:55 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

526Posts Today

4,509Users online

Martin's Twitter