Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • twinsmum08
    • By twinsmum08 3rd Jan 18, 11:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    twinsmum08
    Warning: Exemplar Education
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:52 PM
    Warning: Exemplar Education 3rd Jan 18 at 11:52 PM
    Hope to warn other parents... I signed up to Exemplar Education for an online education programme for my children who are primary school age. I was naiive enough to believe the salesman who visited the house and told me " it's easy to cancel if you have a genuine reason like financial hardship or a health problem". His words helped ease my decision to sign up to a 3 year contract without realising that it is virtually impossible to cancel it!! My financial situation has changed (unexpectedly and for the worst) and I have tried to cancel and cannot!
    I've called them many times written and received a final response.. I've reported them to Trading Standards and the CAB and now going to the Financial ombudsman for help.
    So parents please be careful.. The leaflet came through the school so I thought the company truthworthy. Their customer services is a call back only service. No direct telephone number. If asked staff say they don't give the number out. That should give people an idea of what they are really like...

I know this sounds stupid.. Who doesn't read the small print.. At the time I was financially able to afford the payments so it was no problem.
    Exemplar are ruthless.
Page 1
    • maman
    • By maman 4th Jan 18, 12:11 AM
    • 17,340 Posts
    • 103,827 Thanks
    maman
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:11 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:11 AM
    I do hope you get it sorted.

I'm very disappointed to hear that your children's school circulated leaflets for what sounds like a disreputable company. I do hope you've told the school what's happened.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 4th Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    • 834 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    Are there specific situations in which you're able to cancel and does your situation comply with this? Is it a credit arrangement that you're trying to cancel rather than an actual course?
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 4th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 1,311 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    Is it worth raising this with the school?. As you say they had the leaflets and may, possibly, be able to intervene with Exemplar for you
    • Indout96
    • By Indout96 4th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 1,718 Posts
    • 2,356 Thanks
    Indout96
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    I know this sounds stupid.. Who doesn't read the small print.
    Originally posted by twinsmum08
    Almost nobody, that's how these sort of people get away with it.
    They have page after page of small print, who has the time and sometimes the legal knowledge to read and understand it all.

Hope you get it sorted.
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 4th Jan 18, 12:17 PM
    • 1,284 Posts
    • 1,947 Thanks
    pearl123
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:17 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:17 PM
    Hope to warn other parents... I signed up to Exemplar Education for an online education programme for my children who are primary school age. I was naiive enough to believe the salesman who visited the house and told me " it's easy to cancel if you have a genuine reason like financial hardship or a health problem". His words helped ease my decision to sign up to a 3 year contract without realising that it is virtually impossible to cancel it!! My financial situation has changed (unexpectedly and for the worst) and I have tried to cancel and cannot!
    I've called them many times written and received a final response.. I've reported them to Trading Standards and the CAB and now going to the Financial ombudsman for help.
    So parents please be careful.. The leaflet came through the school so I thought the company truthworthy. Their customer services is a call back only service. No direct telephone number. If asked staff say they don't give the number out. That should give people an idea of what they are really like...

I know this sounds stupid.. Who doesn't read the small print.. At the time I was financially able to afford the payments so it was no problem.
    Exemplar are ruthless.
    Originally posted by twinsmum08
    Write to them and include a link of bbc's watchdog. State that you are going to report them, giving reasons why if they are valid. I find that companies usually pay up pretty promptly when I mention BBC watchdog.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact
    • barbarawright
    • By barbarawright 4th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 3,236 Thanks
    barbarawright
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    Write to them and include a link of bbc's watchdog. State that you are going to report them, giving reasons why if they are valid. I find that companies usually pay up pretty promptly when I mention BBC watchdog.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact
    Originally posted by pearl123
    The Guardian has an excellent consumer column too that often sorts out these sort of issues.
    • Jenniefour
    • By Jenniefour 4th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    Jenniefour
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    Make sure you inform the school about this, they need to pay more attention to who they're allowing to use them for passing on leaflets. It might also appear that this company are approved of/endorsed by the school.
    • chesky
    • By chesky 4th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 1,386 Thanks
    chesky
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    “Who doesn’t read the small print”

I know and I’m just the same. With the exception of the cancellation clause. I always read just that.
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 4th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    suejb2
    Exemplar
    Wow they don't look a good company.

They have had so many company name changes and insolvenies (sp)

I went online chat and asked Sarah for a contact telephone number. After a grilling why I needed it she gave me 0800 048 8692.

Good luck with stopping the contract.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 4th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 32,857 Posts
    • 27,616 Thanks
    custardy
    So what is your notice period?

If you have chosen the Exemplar subscription option then, subject to the notice period, you can completely stop using it and then re-start again subject to your requirements, but again we would stress that Exemplar is specifically there to help children improve and ultimately reach their full learning potential and erratic study habits would be detrimental to the effects of any tuition provided.
    • Spanishomelette
    • By Spanishomelette 4th Jan 18, 8:58 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Spanishomelette
    The view from the other side!
    Wow, thank you for the warning, and I hope you get this matter sorted out very soon. The reason I am particularly grateful you have highlighted this is that I work for a school and these people have been phoning several times a day for weeks, originally just asking for the headteacher by name each time, never willing to leave a message or send details by email, but always sounding as if the head was expecting their call (oldest trick in the book, I know!). Then the calls became more friendly towards me, along the lines of "Hi Fred, this is Jane". So much so that I was wondering who the heck Jane was, did I know her? They actually pay schools a fee to send out flyers to parents, and apparently then offer a bonus for each child signed up. It all sounds very simple and innocent. I personally would be devastated if our school had agreed to send Exemplar's leaflets out and one of our parents was in your situation. As other people have said, do make your school aware of it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,135Posts Today

9,112Users online

Martin's Twitter