Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mart_dogsbody
    • By Mart_dogsbody 3rd Jan 18, 11:15 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mart_dogsbody
    0 WOW
    Car hire Geneva-no credit card
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:15 PM
    0 WOW
    Car hire Geneva-no credit card 3rd Jan 18 at 11:15 PM
    Hello all, first post here :-)
    The wife and I have booked a trip to Geneva in April, we plan on having a tour around the area, mostly into France. For this we need a hire car.
    We have just come out of an IVA and have no credit cards.
    From what i read, most car rental companies require a credit card deposit though some may accept a debit card with certain conditions such as a credit check and freezing the deposit amount in my account.

My questions are:
    Should I go with the debit card option?
    Will i pass a credit check?
    Should i apply for a credit card just to use as a deposit? (would i even be able to get one?)
    I have a Paypal Access card, would this suffice?

Sorry for all the questions :-)
Page 1
    • Mart_dogsbody
    • By Mart_dogsbody 6th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mart_dogsbody
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    No suggestions?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 6th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    • 18,411 Posts
    • 7,615 Thanks
    richardw
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    https://www.avis.co.uk/about-avis/pre-authorisation
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 6th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 1,390 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    Nobody can say whether you can get a credit card - have you tried the MSE eligibility checker?

Also it's impossible to be sure that a particular debit card will be accepted by a particular hire firm until it is put in the payment terminal at the desk. It will help if there are sufficient funds in the account to be put on hold, and the amount needed will be a lot more if you are avoiding purchase of the firm's extra insurance to cover the CDW excess. Hiring from Avis or paying for another firm's excess cover will cost you more than if you have a credit card available with a credit limit of up to £1500, but really we don't know your chances of that or what debit cards you have or who you are looking to hire from etc.

In the past I have hired cars without the extra insurance using prepaid cards and various debit cards, but in reality nothing is predictable with the cheaper hire options unless you have a credit card with a useful limit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,373Posts Today

8,324Users online

Martin's Twitter