Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tranquil
    • By Tranquil 3rd Jan 18, 11:01 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Tranquil
    Do I need a TV ariel?
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:01 PM
    Do I need a TV ariel? 3rd Jan 18 at 11:01 PM
    Hi all,

I have recently bought a smart TV, with Freeview Play installed on the TV, however it hasn't arrived yet. The property I am in at the moment has some old Sky cables and a tv ariel point that has been tested by a tv ariel installer who said was not 'live', so I am not sure why it was there. It is in the wrong place anyway and would have needed to be moved/extended even if it was 'live'.

I have been quoted £150 for an outdoor tv ariel to be installed through my upstairs neighbour's loft, however, I am wondering that if my TV is 'smart', will I be able to access everything through the internet anyway?
    I'm aware that I will be able to access apps like bbc iplayer etc. but I want to be able to access Freeview channels and scroll through channel lists for live tv...but also keen to save on any cost I can.
    Any advice would be appreciated!
Page 1
    • exiled_red
    • By exiled_red 3rd Jan 18, 11:46 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    exiled_red
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:46 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:46 PM
    A smart TV will allow you to watch stuff on demand but for live TV you still need an aerial or a dish
    • ukcarper
    • By ukcarper 4th Jan 18, 12:05 AM
    • 12,116 Posts
    • 13,142 Thanks
    ukcarper
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:05 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:05 AM
    If the sky cables are working you could buy a Freesat set top box

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/humax-hb-1100s-smart-freesat-receiver-now-with-wifi.html
    • cranford
    • By cranford 4th Jan 18, 8:54 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    cranford
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:54 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:54 AM
    My LG smart tv has a freesat receiver built in, check whether yours has first.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 4th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 1,999 Posts
    • 1,091 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    There is a recent post on here (not yet finalised I seem to remember) and another on AV Forums where it appears some Vestel sourced Smart sets won't allow setup to continue without an aerial signal.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 4th Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    • 3,392 Posts
    • 4,630 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    A smart TV will allow you to watch stuff on demand but for live TV you still need an aerial or a dish
    Originally posted by exiled_red
    Won't that depend on what channels one wants to watch? You can watch BBC programs live through iPlayer. I don't know whivh other channels allow live TV through apps.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 17,702 Posts
    • 11,966 Thanks
    molerat
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    With Freeview Play sets many of the stand alone apps are not included as they are all integral within the main app and the set requires an aerial input to set the system up.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 4th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    I have been quoted £150 for an outdoor tv ariel to be installed through my upstairs neighbour's loft,

...but also keen to save on any cost I can.
    Originally posted by Tranquil

Rather than having your own ariel, could you share your upstairs neighbour's ariel ? Perhaps provide a splitting amplifier so that their signal doesn't suffer ?

(I'd be wary of relying too much on smart features - not convinced that manufacturers can be relied upon to keep all features working once a model is superseded.)
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 4th Jan 18, 11:50 PM
    • 5,717 Posts
    • 2,629 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:50 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:50 PM
    Will your upstairs neighbour agree to an aerial in their loft? Can't you just have one installed on the external wall of the room the TV will be in?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

980Posts Today

7,797Users online

Martin's Twitter