Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • liveo
    • By liveo 3rd Jan 18, 6:22 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 2Thanks
    liveo
    Car dealer sold me a service plan but now 3 weeks later says its not applicable
    • 3rd Jan 18, 6:22 PM
    Car dealer sold me a service plan but now 3 weeks later says its not applicable 3rd Jan 18 at 6:22 PM
    Hi all,
    I took my car in for a service about 3 weeks ago as it needed a major service (approx £375 list price). I remember back in 2016 before the previous service, the assistant at one of their sister branches tried to sell me a service plan for £360 which covers 1 minor and 1 major service so effectively you get a minor service free plus save about £15 so very good value, I asked him specifically if it covered my car being an "S" model and he said yes. I decided not to take it up at the time as it only needed a minor which cost about £175 and I was planning to sell the car very shortly after but have now decided to keep it for the foreseeable future.
    When I phoned up Audi to book my car in for the latest service in December (2017), I asked to have the service plan for £360, brake fluid change, automatic gear box oil change, 4-Wheel drive oil change, MOT etc which all come to about £780! She said no problem and booked it in for the 14th December.
    I collected the car about 3 days after the work was done as I had a busy week at work and couldn't collect it as soon as it was ready. When I went to collect the car the guy ran through all the work that had been done on the invoice with me and said my service plan had been set up successfully and it is clearly down on the invoice as "Segment 2 Service Plan Sold, 1 x major service (carried out 14/12/17), 1 x minor remaining". He took my £780 and said thank you and goodbye. This afternoon I got an unexpected telephone call from the pleasant lady assistant at the Audi dealer informing me that unfortunately they have come to set up the service plan with Audi Finance (who administer the service plan) and her service manager has found out that my model (an S model) is not covered by the plan and therefore even though I have paid for the plan, it is on my invoice and they told me when I collected the car that it had been set up successfully, she said this item on the invoice is now null and void and as a goodwill gesture they wont charge me the £15 difference between the list price of the major service (£375) and the service plan which cost me £360! Thanks!
    My understanding is that they have entered into a legally binding contract with me because it is on my invoice and I have paid for it and it is their mistake that they did not know that my model was not covered by the plan before taking my money? Even with the legal aspect aside, surely they should just agree to carry out my next minor service for free as a goodwill gesture for their mistake, especially considering I have just spent £780 for all the service items to be carried out by them. Had I have known the service plan wasn't applicable, I would have visited my local independent dealer who would have used the same quality Audi parts but for a considerably cheaper price. Could anyone advise where I stand legally?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by liveo; 03-01-2018 at 6:27 PM.
Page 2
    • liveo
    • By liveo 6th Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    liveo
    I'd go in a start talking very loudly about the mis selling.

Doesn't matter what was on the website or what wasn't in this case. You checked before purchasing, they sold you it still.
    They've entered in to a contract. I'd be wanting a significant portion refunded to reflect the fact you have to pay for a minor service next year or them to honour it.

Don't just let them bend you over. They are not doing you a favor by letting you off the poultry 15 quid.
    Originally posted by arcon5
    My thoughts exactly.

I have also found out they have changed the service type of my vehicle from "Long life - Variable" (Decided by the vehicle itself - Up to 18 months depending on depending on driving style) to a fixed 12 months schedule so I now potentially have to have my car serviced more often as I was getting away with nearly 18 months between services before!
    He says the type of service I asked for automatically changes the service from Long Life to fixed one. I wasn't told that either before it was done.

Not happy at all.
    • takman
    • By takman 7th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    takman
    My thoughts exactly.

I have also found out they have changed the service type of my vehicle from "Long life - Variable" (Decided by the vehicle itself - Up to 18 months depending on depending on driving style) to a fixed 12 months schedule so I now potentially have to have my car serviced more often as I was getting away with nearly 18 months between services before!
    He says the type of service I asked for automatically changes the service from Long Life to fixed one. I wasn't told that either before it was done.

Not happy at all.
    Originally posted by liveo
    I don't think this is bad thing. Personally i think all cars should be serviced every 12 months/15,000 miles as a minimum (more often if your doing very low mileage). If I saw a car for sale (especially a performance version) It would put me off if it had an extended service schedule, even if it was approved by the manufacturer. It doesn't have to be a full service an oil and filter change is all that's needed. Only servicing it every 18 months does make it look like you do the bare minimum to maintain the car.
    • liveo
    • By liveo 8th Jan 18, 1:01 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    liveo
    I understand what your saying but the oil and filter specified by vag is designed to easily last well in excess of 18 months and the point is more principle that I wasn't asked or informed of the fact they changed it to a fixed schedule. Servicing in excess of the manufacturer recommendation is simply a money earner for them.
    • takman
    • By takman 8th Jan 18, 1:53 PM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    takman
    I understand what your saying but the oil and filter specified by vag is designed to easily last well in excess of 18 months and the point is more principle that I wasn't asked or informed of the fact they changed it to a fixed schedule. Servicing in excess of the manufacturer recommendation is simply a money earner for them.
    Originally posted by liveo
    It's more to do with the way the car is driven, what kind of journeys and how many miles you are doing a year than just a time period alone.
    Manufacturers are more likely to state more extended servicing schedules because it's a good selling point for the car and also they aren't really concerned about the car's engine performing as best it can past 100,000 miles or 10 years. i'm sure your not concerned about this either as your looking to sell the car and it still sounds like it's relatively new. But to someone who is looking to buy the car and knows what they are talking about it may put them off.
    I can't imagine any kind of use of a car that could justify an 18 month period between oil and filter changes.

But i cant understand why you would be annoyed that they changed the service schedule on your car's ECU.
    • liveo
    • By liveo 10th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    liveo
    It's more to do with the way the car is driven, what kind of journeys and how many miles you are doing a year than just a time period alone.
    Manufacturers are more likely to state more extended servicing schedules because it's a good selling point for the car and also they aren't really concerned about the car's engine performing as best it can past 100,000 miles or 10 years. i'm sure your not concerned about this either as your looking to sell the car and it still sounds like it's relatively new. But to someone who is looking to buy the car and knows what they are talking about it may put them off.
    I can't imagine any kind of use of a car that could justify an 18 month period between oil and filter changes.

But i cant understand why you would be annoyed that they changed the service schedule on your car's ECU.
    Originally posted by takman

Cars are intelligent these days and they look every aspect of your driving style, conditions & journey types when calculating when a service is due. The Longlife Oil that is used is designed to last ages. It costs a fortune to service the car anyway with all of the additional "service items" they insist on such as Pollen Filter, which costs less than £10 and takes 5 minutes to fit but they charge nearly £50!
    Luckily, my annual mileage has dropped below 10k and there is a section of the Audi website which suggests a fixed schedule for less than 10k so I will leave it on fixed but yes its the fact it was changed without my permission or even consulting me!

Anyway I have sought legal advice on the mis-selling of the service plan and they have advised me on a course of action now involving an official complaint and the misrepresentation act of 1967 so I will follow that and see how I get on.
    I was going to drop it but the manager has been totally unhelpful and not even had the courtesy to call back when he said he would. Shocking service.
    • liveo
    • By liveo 10th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    liveo
    Finally a breakthrough. He has now managed to put it through and I have my service plan! They have redeemed themselves.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,210Posts Today

9,629Users online

Martin's Twitter