Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BlueVolta
    • By BlueVolta 3rd Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BlueVolta
    Insuring Multiple Cars
    • 3rd Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    Insuring Multiple Cars 3rd Jan 18 at 3:41 PM
    Hi all,

I'm looking at getting the family cars insured under one policy but I'm a bit wary. If you've had a single policy for more than one car, what's your experience been like? Does it make claiming any harder? If you've made a claim has your premium gone up a lot with it being more than one car? Also, can you recommend an insurer?

Cheers
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 4th Jan 18, 2:21 AM
    • 26,410 Posts
    • 10,554 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:21 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:21 AM
    Young driver with 1 years no claims, Insured this year for £900
    Myself with 9+ years no claims insured for £400

Multicar policy quote £2346 and not forgetting the 77p.

Bonkers.

I recommend getting single quotes from every site and broker before even thinking of multi-car.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 4th Jan 18, 9:13 AM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 3,543 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:13 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:13 AM
    As we keep being told that car insurance quotes are entirely a matter of statistical accident claims rather than commonsense, then that seems to indicate that the kind of people who go for multi-car policies tend to make more claims.
    • BlueVolta
    • By BlueVolta 4th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BlueVolta
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    I like the idea of having everyone up for renewal at the same time, but that's quite a hefty price difference! 😵

I'm wondering if i might have more luck with smaller independent brokers perhaps.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 4th Jan 18, 1:52 PM
    • 973 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:52 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:52 PM
    Although it's one policy, you still have separate insurance underneath it for each car - so separate premiums, separate renewal dates, etc. In theory, therefore, it's pretty similar to having separate policies - just that on the one hand, you've got a discount, and the convenience of dealing with one insurer; on the other hand, you're not necessarily getting the best deal for one of those cars, which might outweigh the discount.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 4th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 3,204 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    marlot
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    Some years the multicar is cheaper. Other years I do them seperately.

Currently with Aviva. Had to make a claim recently, and had a good experience.
    • rft
    • By rft 5th Jan 18, 2:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rft
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:16 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:16 PM
    Although it's one policy, you still have separate insurance underneath it for each car - so separate premiums, separate renewal dates, etc. In theory, therefore, it's pretty similar to having separate policies - just that on the one hand, you've got a discount, and the convenience of dealing with one insurer; on the other hand, you're not necessarily getting the best deal for one of those cars, which might outweigh the discount.
    Originally posted by ThePants999
    The above is a generalisation and sounds much like the Admiral experience. There are true multi-vehicle policies out there that assess the whole risk and issue a single policy with a single premium and a single renewal date.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,574Posts Today

6,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin