Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 3rd Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    • 836Posts
    • 8,278Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    365 a year challenge
    • 3rd Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    365 a year challenge 3rd Jan 18 at 1:07 PM
    Moved house late last year and was actually shocked at the amount of household items i had stashed ,even after throwing loads away i have several years worth of certain products (where dates don't matter so much)

So this year i aim to try and live on an average of 1 a day for all food, household items such as cleaning products and smellies.

This doesn't include vouchers earned from surveys or cashback sites etc . I'm pretty lazy with this so cant see it making that much of a difference

I'm thinking i might also include new clothes ,books ,all entertainment items . I don't buy much . I have amazon prime until June - at which point need to decide if it is worthwhile - i use kindle unlimited ,amazon music and some prime tv quite frequently but there are cheaper options..
    I'm also going to try an be healthy within this so i need to make an effort to try and target supermarkets when they have reductions on.

Jan 18
    Food cupboards/fridges inventorys have been done - i have more than enough food to last the month . I just have to buy things like milk and fresh produce/any yellow labled bargains i happen to see. I have enough supermarkets close enough to be worthwhile checking .Just need to figure out reducing times!

cleaning -enough to last several months. Might need toilet paper at end of the month

beauty- nothing needed ! (that's a challenge by itself)

Anyone wants to join in feel free. I was inspired by these live below the line challenges i have done in the past . Over the years ive read so many frugal books etc thought it was time i should give it a go. shame we don't have extreme couponing like the usa - i would aim for a free year lol

I'm always happy to try new things/recipes so cheap suggestions are welcome.

updates - going to try updating at least once a week - maybe a Monday as this seems like my day off

good websites/blogs
    thriftylesley
    cookingonabootstrap
    cheap-family-recipes.org
    mrs frugalwoods
    Last edited by ma-ri-ella; 05-01-2018 at 3:11 PM. Reason: more info
    22.09/31 January grocery challenge(365 year)
    20,000 step a day challenge
Page 3
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 8th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    massive spend at morries !! 6.75 however i got

20 tins beans
    16x400g tins beans
    16xsoup
    milkx1
    packet spaghetti x1
    rice pudding x1
    strawberry tarts and i am due another points voucher for 5..
    Will do a breakdown of cost per tin once the points offer is over.
    thinking 10x beans and 10xsoup will cost me 6.30 .1.30 after voucher (and 6 worth of loyalty points) so 5 towards next spend. So say 7p per tin of soup and 6p per tin of beans. Marvelous . I think the above might be even cheaper per tin

I don't mind stockpiling and being slightly over when there are deals like this cause i will use it all and its super cheap
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 9th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    massive spend at morries !! 6.75 however i got

20 tins beans
    16x400g tins beans
    16xsoup
    milkx1
    packet spaghetti x1
    rice pudding x1
    strawberry tarts and i am due another points voucher for 5..
    Will do a breakdown of cost per tin once the points offer is over.
    thinking 10x beans and 10xsoup will cost me 6.30 .1.30 after voucher (and 6 worth of loyalty points) so 5 towards next spend. So say 7p per tin of soup and 6p per tin of beans. Marvelous . I think the above might be even cheaper per tin

I don't mind stockpiling and being slightly over when there are deals like this cause i will use it all and its super cheap
    Originally posted by ma-ri-ella
    Morrisons web site says Maximum 20 promotional items per customer.
    is that 20 items in total or 20 of each product?
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 9th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    • 836 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    Morrisons web site says Maximum 20 promotional items per customer.
    is that 20 items in total or 20 of each product?
    Originally posted by silver-oldie
    seems to be 20 of each product - but the vouchers are capped a 100 each month so 1 shop a day would more than cover. I think it might take a few days for my local to get more in . going to try soups today with small beans as topup to 20
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 9th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 836 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    morrisons offer has changed so not such a great deal. so altogether i bought 75 tins for 6.80. 9.06p per tin?. I have enough beans to last a long time lol.
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 9th Jan 18, 1:49 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    JennyP
    morrisons offer has changed so not such a great deal. so altogether i bought 75 tins for 6.80. 9.06p per tin?. I have enough beans to last a long time lol.
    Originally posted by ma-ri-ella
    I feel like I have missed something here! How on earth did you get all those tins for that amount? What is the Morrison's offer?
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 9th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    I feel like I have missed something here! How on earth did you get all those tins for that amount? What is the Morrison's offer?
    Originally posted by JennyP
    it was very quick going offer - lasted a day but you were getting 300 morrison points when you bought certain products which are worth 30p

the eat smart beans are 25p - you got 300 points (worth 30P) capped at 20 items .i also had discount so paid 4.50 for 6 worth of points I also got other items such as soup at 45p (with 30p worth points back). so basically spent the 4.50 gt a 5 voucher which i used towards next shop and repeated a few times. spending just over the 5 - using a voucher and gaining more points. Paying quite little cash each time

Will need to do a stock inventory next and possibly research recipes with beans
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 9th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    JennyP
    OK, my next question, how did you know about the offer? I didn't and I shop there two or three times a week....at least!
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 9th Jan 18, 5:01 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    OK, my next question, how did you know about the offer? I didn't and I shop there two or three times a week....at least!
    Originally posted by JennyP
    the shelf edges have green labels when something has bonus points . there is also a very helpful friendly thread on here called elite
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 9th Jan 18, 5:30 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    JennyP
    Never knew that! Am now looking for the elite thread - on this Old Style forum?
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 9th Jan 18, 6:50 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    spent 3.84 on kitchen scales - used up last of giftcard. i also got a loaf of bread for 6p- its been worth the walk for reduced items lol. need to do some target shops for cupboard items like tinned potatoes for example are cheapest lidl - plain flour is cheapest asda . i think the next day i have off i will plan what to buy where . em i think u can search for threads near top of page.

todays food
    toast -1p
    dinner was 5p mix plus 9p beans . Wasn't that hungry today tbh . add in some cups of tea and prob still under 25p! . This wasn't intentionally so cheap . I do have some pizzas in freezer when i get to them will be 1 alone so its good to be under some days
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 9th Jan 18, 7:34 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 5,545 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    JennyP Elite thread on Shopping and Freebies Board , Quick Grabbit while you can, here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5740056
    Last edited by Bigjenny; 09-01-2018 at 7:36 PM.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 10th Jan 18, 10:39 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    3.60 spend on 10 tins of strongbow lol .it was a bulk buy and will last ages .36p per can is good when it is normally over 1.brings my total to 13.43 . so still have 56p until sunday , will do inventory next .theres been a lot of bulk buying so will have cheaper weeks ahead :P
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 11th Jan 18, 11:22 AM
    • 836 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    massive inventory !!!
    31 tins soup
    2xtuna tins
    1 kg rice
    veg chilli beanz
    tin peaches
    tin mandarin pieces
    3xpeas
    1xplum tom
    1xchopped tom
    1xnew pot 300g
    red kidney beans
    sweetcorn 200g
    irish stew
    rice pudding
    one pan rice meal
    5xpasta sauce
    tub pasta, spag 500g
    ... it goes on so totally stocked up
    • Topher
    • By Topher 11th Jan 18, 8:33 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 2,626 Thanks
    Topher
    Re: Dried Milk
    Nidco by Nestle do a whole milk dried. Far better than most dried milks which tend to be full skimmed.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 15,435 Posts
    • 129,746 Thanks
    JackieO
    day 11 and my purse is still firmly shut
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • WeegieWumman
    • By WeegieWumman 12th Jan 18, 2:59 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    WeegieWumman
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Oh Jackie!
    When you eventually open that purse of yours, a hundred spiders will be homeless.
    Well done you!
    • chirpychick
    • By chirpychick 12th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 929 Posts
    • 8,346 Thanks
    chirpychick
    Oh Jackie!
    When you eventually open that purse of yours, a hundred spiders will be homeless.
    Well done you!
    Originally posted by WeegieWumman
    This made me chuckle so much - When we had our boiler serviced the man said how old is your boiler i said its over 30 years old. He then proceeded to ask if it had ever been serviced in that time because there were hundreds if not thousands of dead spiders in the casing. When I said it had been 18 months he was visibly shocked and said he had never seen anything like it in his life. Not one to be afraid of spiders personally but i was so glad they were dead!
    IVA entered Dec 2010. It's been a long hard road but we FINALLY made it! IVA COMPLETE Dec 2016!!!!
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 12th Jan 18, 3:31 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Wish i was like this !! work in retail - charity shop and supermarket so it seems to be "bargain buys" on all fronts.

The challenge seems to have taken a battering this week . I just need to tell myself it will average out over the days.. the cupboard is full, there are still some essentials i need but i could do without them .

Biggest other challenge is not to eat crap!!
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 13th Jan 18, 7:41 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    so slightly over now but needed soya spread, mayonnaise and i treated myself to a graze flapjack /pack of clemantimes. Annoyed about the flapjack but least its healthy . Not so bad with fruit it will help woth next weeks meal plan
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 14th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    up to 21.77!! not great but i needed medicine so couldn't help the cost. don't think theres anything i need this week apart from milk and possibly fresh fruit/veg..or some vitamins just been feeling the bad weather.will be back with a meal plan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

858Posts Today

6,783Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin