Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wig
    • By Wig 3rd Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    • 13,597Posts
    • 7,343Thanks
    Wig
    energy compare site
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    energy compare site 3rd Jan 18 at 11:23 AM
    Hi,

I need an energy compare site that compares *all* the suppliers

I just did a check on uswitch and they only gave me results from the big boys, no mention of Ebico or Robin Hood.

thanks.
Page 1
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 3rd Jan 18, 11:57 AM
    • 744 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:57 AM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:57 AM
    If in doubt always try the Citizens Advice site https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 3rd Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 3rd Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    I dont think that all suppliers put themselves on the switching sites. UK Power is another one.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 3rd Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    • 8,040 Posts
    • 8,237 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 3rd Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    IME 'energy saving' sites don't even list all the tariffs available from the suppliers they do represent and are highly unwilling to disclose them - Yes, I've had this argument with quite a number of them when trying to do a proper comparison. The 'We'll tell you what's best for you - but we won't tell you how we work it out because its far too complex for you to understand' attitude is common to all that I've used.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 3rd Jan 18, 12:53 PM
    • 6,524 Posts
    • 5,306 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 3rd Jan 18, 12:53 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 12:53 PM
    I find this expects less information so quicker to use https://www.energylinx.co.uk/

Importantly, search then look at the top of the page for a drop down list. You will have been given suppliers that they can switch you to. Change this to all suppliers then search again.

This may be the reason your search has omitted some suppliers.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 3rd Jan 18, 12:59 PM
    • 2,123 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 3rd Jan 18, 12:59 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 12:59 PM
    OP When comparing don't forget to use your actual consumption in kwh and not your spend in £.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 3rd Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    • 4,881 Posts
    • 2,988 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 3rd Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 3:02 PM
    IME 'energy saving' sites don't even list all the tariffs available from the suppliers they do represent and are highly unwilling to disclose them - Yes, I've had this argument with quite a number of them when trying to do a proper comparison. The 'We'll tell you what's best for you - but we won't tell you how we work it out because its far too complex for you to understand' attitude is common to all that I've used.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    They no longer have to list all suppliers. It is what Ofgem calls 'competition'. That said, MSE CEC does list all suppliers and I have yet to find a listed tariff that differs in cost (provided kWhs/year is used and not some abstract usage for 3/4/5 bed property) from that posted on a supplier's website (except for VAT).
    • Wig
    • By Wig 3rd Jan 18, 11:54 PM
    • 13,597 Posts
    • 7,343 Thanks
    Wig
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:54 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:54 PM
    I dont think that all suppliers put themselves on the switching sites. UK Power is another one.
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    Thanks, but it's not down to the suppliers to make themselves available, but it is down to the switching/comparison sites to put every supplier (or not) onto the database, they don't need the suppliers permission all they need to do is make sure the tariffs are correct. The reason they don't put them all on is because they only want you to see the ones that they can make referral fees from.

They no longer have to list all suppliers. It is what Ofgem calls 'competition'. That said, MSE CEC does list all suppliers and I have yet to find a listed tariff that differs in cost (provided kWhs/year is used and not some abstract usage for 3/4/5 bed property) from that posted on a supplier's website (except for VAT).
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Thanks, So Ofgem are responsible for this, unbelieveable! I shall write to my MP about it (for all the good it will do). However even back in the day I remember that Which? site refused to put EBICO on their site siting that they were not available to everyone (which was not true and I told them so) so it seems that sites never *had* to put every supplier on?

Are you saying that the MSE one has all suppliers? I don't understand why MSE needs the first line of the address, it is not necessary (but that is a different subject).

Also when I tried the MSE one I did not manage to get it to say "Gas only" can it do gas only?

Thanks all, I will try again soon.
    Last edited by Wig; 04-01-2018 at 12:03 AM.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 4th Jan 18, 6:45 AM
    • 3,340 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:45 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:45 AM
    Hi,

I just did a check on uswitch and they only gave me results from the big boys, no mention of Ebico or Robin Hood.

thanks.
    Originally posted by Wig
    On uSwitch you have two options to list only those suppliers uSwitch can switch you to or to list the whole market. That's similar to MSE Cheap Energy Club except that MSE calls it "full market comparison" and "MSE top picks".

In my own personal experience both Ebico and Robin Hood cost more that my current Scottish Power tariff so when comparing the whole market they are not shown amongst the savers and I have to expand the list to include tariffs which cost more. This is true on both uSwitch and MSE Cheap Energy Club.

I am in the Eastern region so my findings above might not apply to you due to differing prices from region to region.
    • merchcon55
    • By merchcon55 4th Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    merchcon55
    It has been long standing practice for car and home insurance, that if you want to really get a "whole of market" comparison, you have to use several price comparison sites AND also go directly to some insurers websites (Direct Line for example).

MSE has a very good write up on this.

Up to June 2017, the Energy Comparison sites were OBLIGED to list every company. The rules changed to make things more similar to the insurance comparison sites.

In theory (but in practice yet??) this is meant to allow "exclusive deals" appearing on say Uswitch, but not appearing anywhere else.

What I find more interesting is that PCW are not obliged to use the OFGEM savings method, yet still do. As pointed out many times, this shows a FALSE savings to those on a fixed deal. Of course if you are on a variable deal, the savings are genuine.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 4th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 4,881 Posts
    • 2,988 Thanks
    Hengus

What I find more interesting is that PCW are not obliged to use the OFGEM savings method, yet still do. As pointed out many times, this shows a FALSE savings to those on a fixed deal. Of course if you are on a variable deal, the savings are genuine.
    Originally posted by merchcon55
    For accuracy, the savings are also accurate for consumers on a long term fixed deal with more than 12 months to run. In fairness to Ofgem, if a rolling 12 month cost assumption is to be the basis of a comparison then an assumption has to be made about what a consumer will do at the end of a fixed term contract. Using the supplier's SVT is, of course, the known do nothing option.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 17,726 Posts
    • 11,988 Thanks
    molerat
    Thanks, but it's not down to the suppliers to make themselves available, but it is down to the switching/comparison sites to put every supplier (or not) onto the database, they don't need the suppliers permission all they need to do is make sure the tariffs are correct. The reason they don't put them all on is because they only want you to see the ones that they can make referral fees from.
    Originally posted by Wig
    And where do you expect them to get that information from if the supplier does not provide it ?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 5th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    Thanks, but it's not down to the suppliers to make themselves available, but it is down to the switching/comparison sites to put every supplier (or not) onto the database, they don't need the suppliers permission all they need to do is make sure the tariffs are correct. .
    Originally posted by Wig
    This is not true. The comparison site is effectively an agent and earn a commission from the supplier for obtaining custom and have direct links to the suppliers' websites to confirm that it was the comparison site that actually gained the custom.

Of course they need permission.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 5th Jan 18, 9:06 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    Thanks, So Ofgem are responsible for this, unbelieveable! I shall write to my MP about it (for all the good it will do). However even back in the day I remember that Which? site refused to put EBICO on their site siting that they were not available to everyone (which was not true and I told them so) so it seems that sites never *had* to put every supplier on? .
    Originally posted by Wig
    How does that mean Ofgem are responsible for this? The comparison site should be allowed to put what they want on there. Why should they be forced to advertise suppliers who may even be undesirable?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 5th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 4,881 Posts
    • 2,988 Thanks
    Hengus
    How does that mean Ofgem are responsible for this? The comparison site should be allowed to put what they want on there. Why should they be forced to advertise suppliers who may even be undesirable?
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    Energy PCWs are required to comply with Ofgem's Confidence Code which mandates, inter alia, how savings are to be calculated.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publications/120957

The revised Confidence Code is from Page 13 onwards.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 5th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 4,071 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    footyguy
    Hi,

thanks.
    Originally posted by Wig
    uSwitch will list all. You just need to ensure you modify the default filter to "Include plans that require switching directly through the supplier"

There are other options listed here by MSE, and if you use their links, they will pay cashback too

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 5th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    Energy PCWs are required to comply with Ofgem's Confidence Code which mandates, inter alia, how savings are to be calculated.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publications/120957

The revised Confidence Code is from Page 13 onwards.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Yes I get that they have to be accurate with the information listed, but they arent obliged to mention every single supplier...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,027Posts Today

8,055Users online

Martin's Twitter