Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • phil90
    • By phil90 3rd Jan 18, 7:42 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    phil90
    leisure world southampton
    • 3rd Jan 18, 7:42 AM
    leisure world southampton 3rd Jan 18 at 7:42 AM
    hi, i went to view a car and was told it was in leisure world car park in southampton parking eye, which i did the first i new it was a private land parking was when i got a parking ticket for £100 or £60 if i paid in 14 days. i could not believe it the seller didn't say anything about it and i didn't see any signs, so in my haste i got on to their web site and filled the appeals form out online stating my name as the driver and what i was doing. i have just received a email saying my appeal was rejected is it worth appealing to popla many thanks
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 3rd Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    • 34,108 Posts
    • 18,059 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 3rd Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    Always worth appealing to POPLA (your alternative is to expect a court claim when dealing with PE)

See the newbies faq thread near the top of the forum for advice on preparing a POPLA appeal - though all POFA arguments are now not available to you as you admitted being the driver
    • phil90
    • By phil90 6th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    phil90
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    hi i have had a look a the newbies thread but can't find anything like mine, it's a shame being honest has made my changes of getting my fine cancelled, looks like i will have to pay it
    • Redx
    • By Redx 6th Jan 18, 11:14 PM
    • 17,164 Posts
    • 21,447 Thanks
    Redx
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:14 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:14 PM
    popla appeals are based on legal arguments , not what happened on the day
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • waamo
    • By waamo 6th Jan 18, 11:32 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 2,712 Thanks
    waamo
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:32 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 11:32 PM
    hi i have had a look a the newbies thread but can't find anything like mine, it's a shame being honest has made my changes of getting my fine cancelled, looks like i will have to pay it
    Originally posted by phil90
    You clearly haven’t read the Newbies thread properly. One of the first sentences tells you your case is not unique. Did you also miss Quentins opening sentence that said “Always worth appealing to POPLA”?
    This space for hire.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 7th Jan 18, 8:50 AM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 3,946 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:50 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:50 AM
    It's an invoice not a fine!
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 7th Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    • 7,642 Posts
    • 6,724 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 8:56 AM
    It does mot have to be like yours, buying a camel, (or a pint of milk), would be just the same. It is a scam, why do councils fine people considerably less for real offences.

DO NOT PAY, if it got to could you could end up with a profit
    Last edited by The Deep; 07-01-2018 at 8:59 AM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • phil90
    • By phil90 7th Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    phil90
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    first of all thanks to all your replys, as i said in my first post i had shot myself in the foot by admitting i was the driver, and there doesn't seem to be any post on driver admission. i can't afford the lower fine so there is no point appealing as to be honest it's all above me. i have tried to fine the landowner but no luck there
    • waamo
    • By waamo 7th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 2,712 Thanks
    waamo
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 7th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    Admitting being the driver is not fatal to your case. How big was the signage? Does PE have authority to operate? Have they followed POFA? Have they followed the BPA code of practice?

Can you answer all those please? If you bring them up at appeal PE have to answer them. It is their case to prove not yours. Innocent until proven guilty don’t forget.

The templates on here ask them to prove those questions and more at appeal. They have to answer all of them if they don’t then you win. Some companies are very shy at POPLA for some reason.
    This space for hire.
    • phil90
    • By phil90 7th Jan 18, 11:50 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    phil90
    as for the signage i didn't see any when i was there the first i New it was private parking is when the fine came, and how do i find out the other points that you listed?
    • Redx
    • By Redx 7th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 17,164 Posts
    • 21,447 Thanks
    Redx
    see the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread, post #3

also put LEISURE WORLD SOUTHAMPTON into the forum drop down search box and look for appeals made by other members previously (within the last 18 months)

also, look for any recent PARKING EYE popla appeals by reading backwards from the end of the POPLA DECISIONS sticky thread , picking out PE appeals and plagiarise from those appeals that people have already used , places like TOWER ROAD NEWQUAY for example

you need to do some research but as the popla appeals are already written for you , they just need adapting slightly, saving you tons of work

research and reading is the key
    Last edited by Redx; 07-01-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • waamo
    • By waamo 7th Jan 18, 12:15 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 2,712 Thanks
    waamo
    So unclear signage then. That’s a winning point. Secondly as to the other points why not just ask PE to prove them at appeal? If they can’t then you win.

You don’t know the answers to them and you would be amazed how often the PPC either doesn’t know or doesn’t want to say. Either way you win.

I think you need to follow the excellent advice of Redx above too and don’t be so defeatist.
    This space for hire.
    • phil90
    • By phil90 7th Jan 18, 1:17 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    phil90
    i know it sounds like i'm a defeatist but i don't understand the process, there would be nothing better to take the crooks on and beat them, i have thought of nothing else since i got the fine its spoilt my christmas. and all the popla cases states the keeper not the driver . so if i sent a popla appeal what should i put.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 34,108 Posts
    • 18,059 Thanks
    Quentin
    You can use all the points you will find mentioned in the Newbies FAQ thread (#3) and the near templates for popla appeals except pofa arguments
    • Redx
    • By Redx 7th Jan 18, 2:51 PM
    • 17,164 Posts
    • 21,447 Thanks
    Redx
    so if i sent a popla appeal what should i put.
    Originally posted by phil90
    so if you follow my advice and find a recent popla appeal and adapt it accordingly , then post it on here for critique , you would KNOW what to put

if a driver has been identified , then anything that sticks to the law called POFA2012 would be irrelevant and so would not be included

points to include would be

no landowner contract
    poor and inadequate signage
    any BPA CoP failures (download and read it)
    not the same as the BEAVIS case

etc
    Newbies !!
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 7th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    • 7,642 Posts
    • 6,724 Thanks
    The Deep
    I know it sounds like i'm a defeatist but i don't understand the process,

It is quite complex, but it is not differential calculus. You need to put in a lot of reading, but at the end of the day, not only will you have acquired new skills, but cost them money, sometimes quite a lot of money.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 8th Jan 18, 12:26 AM
    • 52,869 Posts
    • 66,388 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Half the victims here have said who was driving...yawn...in fact it's pretty much the norm for newbies here. That's why there are templates in post #3 of the NEWBIES thread, for all the other POPLA points you can use. 99% of posters here still win.

No idea why you think your case is different from all the others exactly the same.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,297Posts Today

8,424Users online

Martin's Twitter