Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 3rd Jan 18, 5:24 AM
    • 765Posts
    • 1,598Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Marmalade?
    • 3rd Jan 18, 5:24 AM
    Marmalade? 3rd Jan 18 at 5:24 AM
    Anyone making Marmalade this season?

Was thinking of giving it ago.
Page 1
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 3rd Jan 18, 6:15 AM
    • 3,305 Posts
    • 41,990 Thanks
    monnagran
    • 3rd Jan 18, 6:15 AM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 6:15 AM
    Try it. It's not as difficult as you may think and you don't need a lot of complicated and expensive equipment. During the war all of us children got one orange each at some point and my grandmother managed to get a jar of marmalade out of the peel from mine. She certainly had no special gadgets.

Just get a simple recipe and make a small amount to start with.

Good luck.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 3rd Jan 18, 10:25 AM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 4,365 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 3rd Jan 18, 10:25 AM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 10:25 AM
    I used to but now I'm on my own it's a bit too much faff. I always used a Marguerite Patten recipe that involved cooking the oranges whole - makes a lovely Oxford style marmalade (only much nicer than shop bought). Add some whisky (roughly a tablespoon per jar), leave to mature for at least 6 months and your taste buds will thank you for ever more.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 3rd Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    • 5,843 Posts
    • 8,425 Thanks
    Farway
    • 3rd Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    Anyone making Marmalade this season?

Was thinking of giving it ago.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    If never made before try using the Mamade kits, basically it is just tin of ready prepped oranges, you add the sugar & water
    I always use these for convenience
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 3rd Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 2,971 Posts
    • 8,070 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    I was going to have a go this year as I love marmalade but I struggle to find one that's bitter enough - I don't like the really dark Oxford-style ones but I'm always looking for a recipe that's very fruity rather than overly sweet. If anyone has any suggestions then I'd be very grateful
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 3rd Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 4,365 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 3rd Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    The Marguerite Patten cookbook was kept by the ex when we split. It had several marmalade recipes that all worked really well. I tended to use the Oxford style recipe but there were others that were less bitter, including a rather nice mixed fruit one.

A Google hasn't turned any if them up, but there are plenty of others. The bitterness in the Oxford style one comes from cooking the oranges whole. Any recipe that cooks the peel at a separate stage will be far less bitter.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 3rd Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 15,440 Posts
    • 129,799 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 3rd Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    I love mamarlade but rarely eat it as I no longer eat bread,but sometimes on holiday DD tempts me with some Roses lemon and lime which I really love, never been a lover of orange marmalade though always preferred the lemon
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • basill
    • By basill 3rd Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    basill
    • 3rd Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    If never made before try using the Mamade kits,
    Originally posted by Farway

I have made it the old fashioned way in the past, found it pretty hard work. I too use Mamade now. Absolutely foolproof!
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 3rd Jan 18, 9:44 PM
    • 3,279 Posts
    • 7,387 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 3rd Jan 18, 9:44 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 9:44 PM
    I think it worthwhile making it the old-fashioned way. DH devised this method: take the peel off with one of those peelers that takes only the thinnest piece of peel off. Then take the pith off - that way you are not trying to cut the pith off the peel.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 3rd Jan 18, 10:14 PM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 24,523 Thanks
    MMF007
    I use 'Home cook', sold by Lakeland (and probably elsewhere!)
    It is foolproof. Just add water and sugar. Bring to the boil, reduce to rolling boil for 15 mins.
    For less sweetness I reduce sugar by about 100g. I also add slightly more water than recipe on the tin states.

I did once make marmalade from scratch. Took hours! The Home Cook always gets compliments and you can get orange or lemon versions. Makes at least 6 jars so worth the minimal time.

Enjoy!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 3rd Jan 18, 10:46 PM
    • 4,849 Posts
    • 59,187 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    I made lemon marmalade this morning - I dropped lucky at the supermarket a few days ago and got several bags containing 4 large lemons for 5 pence a bag, so I used up some of those.

I scrubbed the lemons in hot water just case they'd been waxed, then weighed them, put them in a pan whole, covered them in water, brought to the boil and simmered them for about an hour and a half, giving them a stab with a fork every now and again, when they started to fall apart I took them out and sliced the peel, put it back in the pan, pips and all, added the sugar, then boiled it fast for about 20 mins till it reached setting point. Pips floated to the top, so as it cooled I took them out with a spoon. Job done, and a lovely tangy marmalade is the result.

1 kilo lemons needs 2 kilos granulated sugar.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1898654/lemon-marmalade
    ďAll shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.Ē

Jan 18 - grocery/household to 14/1 = 38.42

• Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 4th Jan 18, 8:21 AM
    • 765 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Thanks all....am now looking for a decent recipe that gives a more bitter than sweet taste. Doesn't seem to be much out there.

Remember that Waitrose did Seville oranges last year so hoping to get them from there. Failing that where do others get them from?

Might try a batch of the 'kit marmalade where do you get them from? Preferably NOT online.
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 4th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 5,336 Thanks
    Cappella
    I get my Ď kit marmaladeí from Morries or Saynos. Lakeland do them as well. They donít really make a bitter marmalade, though itís tangy.
    Try this maybe. Itís my grans recipe and Iíve no idea where it came from but it always works for me. Halve the quantities if this is too much.

3lb Seville oranges
    Juice of 2 lemons
    6 pints water
    6 lbs granulated sugar

Wash the fruits, cut them in half squeeze out the juice and remove the pips. Tie the pips into a muslin bag, Cut the peel into shreds and put it into a pan with the water, pulp, lemon juice, bag of pips and water. Bring to boil then simmer very gently until peel is soft ( about 1 and a half hours) Remive The muslin bag squeezing it well. Stir in the sugar until completely dissolved and boil rapidly until setting point is reached. ( doesnít take long so keep testing, maybe 10 - 15 minutes) Pour into hot sterilised jars. It keeps very well. You can use unrefined gran sugar if you prefer.

Good luck, this makes very good marmalade but may not be to your taste.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 4th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 5,843 Posts
    • 8,425 Thanks
    Farway
    Might try a batch of the 'kit marmalade where do you get them from? Preferably NOT online.
    Morries, Sainsbugs or Waitrose, oddly enough seems the same price everywhere give or take a penny or so
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 4th Jan 18, 12:45 PM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 29,424 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I get my Ď kit marmaladeí from Morries or Saynos. Lakeland do them as well. They donít really make a bitter marmalade, though itís tangy.
    Try this maybe. Itís my grans recipe and Iíve no idea where it came from but it always works for me. Halve the quantities if this is too much.

3lb Seville oranges
    Juice of 2 lemons
    6 pints water
    6 lbs granulated sugar

Wash the fruits, cut them in half squeeze out the juice and remove the pips. Tie the pips into a muslin bag, Cut the peel into shreds and put it into a pan with the water, pulp, lemon juice, bag of pips and water. Bring to boil then simmer very gently until peel is soft ( about 1 and a half hours) Remive The muslin bag squeezing it well. Stir in the sugar until completely dissolved and boil rapidly until setting point is reached. ( doesnít take long so keep testing, maybe 10 - 15 minutes) Pour into hot sterilised jars. It keeps very well. You can use unrefined gran sugar if you prefer.

Good luck, this makes very good marmalade but may not be to your taste.
    Originally posted by Cappella

I always add the juice of a couple of lemons if making marmalade from a tin as I like it tangy and not sweet. I used to make it from scratch and then added the whole lemons, but now I have arthritis it is too hard work for me to do.

It is a very short season for Seville oranges, but if you find them and are short of time I have frozen them and defrosted when time allows, when using frozen fruit for jam/marmalade I always add an extra 10% fruit and this works well.

I did have a recipe which cooked the fruit whole in pressure cooker first, a bit messy when taking the flesh out and then cutting the peel into strips, but much quicker, uses less fuel and the peel is easier to cut. Seem to be a few recipes on line.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 4th Jan 18, 12:48 PM
    • 4,209 Posts
    • 29,090 Thanks
    tessie bear
    yes me i woke up thinking about it this morning i only make a small quantity but its lovely xx
    on the brink...
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 4,182 Posts
    • 35,674 Thanks
    Floss
    Asda usually sell Seville's too...or local greengrocers - I bought 6 huge ones yesterday.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 5th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 2,249 Thanks
    purpleybat
    Thanks all....am now looking for a decent recipe that gives a more bitter than sweet taste. Doesn't seem to be much out there.

Remember that Waitrose did Seville oranges last year so hoping to get them from there. Failing that where do others get them from?

i make my dad a HUGE batch of marmalade every year, it's a bit of a labour of love. hours of hand shredding rind (he like lots in it) and boiling to get the set almost right.
    I never seem to get the set right so I now label it murderous marmalade, cos if anyone complains i'll murder them!

I used to order sevilles from a local market trader but since he's retired I struggle getting them. last year my sister got me them from Ludlow market... a 4+ hour drive away! this year I might try St Albans market, I also have friends keeping their eyes open for me.

I've seen the kits in hobbycraft, tho as they seem to be quite expensive you'll probably get them cheaper else where.
    gc 2017 £1841.27.
    • basill
    • By basill 5th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    basill
    I used to order sevilles from a local market trader but since he's retired I struggle getting them. last year my sister got me them from Ludlow market... a 4+ hour drive away! this year I might try St Albans market
    Originally posted by purpleybat
    If you are near St. Albans, Carpenters Nursery and farm shop on Sandridge Road sells them every year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

1,554Users online

Martin's Twitter