Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Determined89
    • By Determined89 2nd Jan 18, 10:57 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 64Thanks
    Determined89
    Unable to get Cheaper Options...
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:57 PM
    Unable to get Cheaper Options... 2nd Jan 18 at 10:57 PM
    Hi,

This is quite a lengthy post, so apologies in advance if it's a bit of a ramble!

I have been left in considerable amounts of debt since my ex husband and I split up Aug 2015. I was a student, at the end of my first year, at the time of the split. As we had two dogs, I was left in a situation where I couldn't move into student accommodation and was left in the house we had collectively, but took on the full amount of the monthly bills on my own. I managed to graduate in September and now in my first post graduate job (in the NHS). I am still currently in the same house, despite trying to move in the past and the finances are draining me. I have had the spare room advertised for over 9 months now to share the costs with someone else, but to no avail.

I am due to come to the end of my mobile phone contract on the 18th Jan, and I have been looking for new (cheaper) deals to bring down costs (currently at a whopping £60pm) and I am not getting anywhere. My current situation has led to me having a poor credit rating and I have been knocked by two mobile providers. I am considering sim only deals, but petrified that my phone won't last much longer and I will not have the spare funds to get a new handset should this happen.

I am also close to the end of my broadband and gas/electric contracts too (May) and I am wondering whether I will be stuck moving to cheaper deals for the broadband due to my poor credit file?

My outgoings at present are covered by my wage; but I have little left to spare each month. I am contributing to each debt monthly, leaving nothing untouched. I have four debts that have gone to debt collection agencies due to defaults from when I was student. They total £12,430. My aim is to get them all paid off in their entirety. My water, gas and electric is all up to date and under control, with my council tax having fell behind (but on track to be paid off). I am extra careful with my outgoings throughout the month for when it comes to food and general groceries etc. I can't remember the last time I treated myself and went shopping. I sold almost everything that I owned to be able to pay for bills when I was a student.

I now have a new partner, and we are looking at buying a house. Of course, I am not going to be able to make any headway with mortgages, so it will be on him to get that. Once that gets put into place, I will be in a far better position to pay off debt quicker. He has been fantastic and knows everything about the debt that I am in and how much it is. He is just as keen for me to get rid of it as I am and therefore happy for me to focus on that to get it cleared once we live together. This relationship is a long distance relationship, so he is not able to move in with me, we are over 400 miles apart. I will move to be with him once the house has been secured.

Is there any things that I can be doing to get any monthly payments down? I have tried to be as stingy as possible and cutback on everything that I can.

My outgoings are:

Rent; 760
    C. Tax; 170 (payments fell behind, now increased to pay years CT off in time)
    Gas; 53
    Electric; 59
    Water; 80
    Groceries; 200 (includes dog food)
    Broadband; 42
    Mobile Phone; 60
    Pet Ins; 20
    Pet Plan for Vets; 30
    Gym; 17
    Travel; 0
    Debt; 40 (10 to each one)

I have just paid £38 for TV Licence (Qtrly).
    Gas/Elec/Water should all go down shortly.
    I had someone move in for 9 months during my time as a student and she left the property leaving considerable debts in all three areas. I have been playing catch up ever since. I have £135.68 outstanding in electric, in credit by £53 in Gas and owe £74.31 in water

My income is £1,495pm after tax.

Any advice, help, tips... very welcome!
Page 2
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 3rd Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Mnd
    If this is too personal, please ignore
    If you are thinking of buying a house with your new partner, could you not move in with him or vice versa
    As lodger if nothing else.presumably he is renting?so you could merge your living costs to just 1 property

Sorry. Just saw your above post about moving in
    Last edited by Mnd; 03-01-2018 at 4:55 PM. Reason: Failed to read all of thread
    • -taff
    • By -taff 3rd Jan 18, 4:59 PM
    • 7,326 Posts
    • 5,382 Thanks
    -taff
    I think you may have to consider a DMP. There's nowhere really for you to cut back enough to service your debts.
    This will affect your credit for 6 years though as the defaults will not drop off until they've been on there for 6 years.

Unless you get a large pay rise, second income, you're going to be defaulting before long.

Have you tried advertising your room in your workplace?
    • Determined89
    • By Determined89 3rd Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Determined89
    I think you may have to consider a DMP. There's nowhere really for you to cut back enough to service your debts.
    This will affect your credit for 6 years though as the defaults will not drop off until they've been on there for 6 years.

Unless you get a large pay rise, second income, you're going to be defaulting before long.

Have you tried advertising your room in your workplace?
    Originally posted by -taff
    My debts are being managed at the £10pm, it is an agreement in place. I know it's not a lot, and I will be retired before those have been paid off, but for the moment it is something rather than nothing. Once I get the chance to move in with the partner, it won't be an issue as I will have about £800-£1000 disposable income which will all be put straight onto debt.

Yeah, I have had defaults on my account for a while now, I have 4 years left on them. Which is the reason why I have tried to stay away from a IVA as I don't want to further extend that. All I need is 12 months, then I would be sorted. It's just getting to that point!

Not yet advertised there, as I have only been there since end of Dec, then had time off because of Christmas/NY.
    • Determined89
    • By Determined89 3rd Jan 18, 6:25 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Determined89
    If this is too personal, please ignore
    If you are thinking of buying a house with your new partner, could you not move in with him or vice versa
    As lodger if nothing else.presumably he is renting?so you could merge your living costs to just 1 property

Sorry. Just saw your above post about moving in
    Originally posted by Mnd
    That's okay. We do want to live together, just not happening at the moment!
    • zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 6th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 984 Thanks
    zippygeorgeandben
    We rent and it was a no pet rental but we asked for a clause to be invoked to say we'd be responsible for any damage caused and voila! We have Bertie!
    End Sep 2016 End Dec 2017
    £8236.57 £0
    (Tesco 4.8%) £0pcm
    £6185.75 £0(Zopa 4.0%) £0pcm

£5344.50
    £2470.04 (Sainsburys 0% until 06/19) £140pcm
    £2000.00 £933.36 (Sister 0%) £133.33pcm

Total debt
    £19.766.82 £3403.40 Original DFD May 2019.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

920Posts Today

7,776Users online

Martin's Twitter