Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 2nd Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2,819Posts
    • 454Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Halifax or Barclaycard for going abroad?
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    Halifax or Barclaycard for going abroad? 2nd Jan 18 at 9:28 PM
    My sister is looking at ways of setting up legit direct debits after Tesco gave notice of them ending this feature on their savings. So she's looking at a credit card to use.

She's also off on holiday (Spain) in the summer so it may as well be a card that will be of some use to her, so i was having a look & saw the Halifax Clarity and the Barclaycard Platinum.

Just trying to figure out what would be best for her - hence why i'm here.

She'll be going in the middle of the year so looking at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards that wipes out the £20 cashback offer from Halifax.

She'll also be paying the card off in full.

So on that note, looking at the two, the Barclaycard one appears to be the better one i would say - since you can withdraw from a cash machine abroad without charge, unlike the Halifax card where you get charged interest until it's paid off. Yes she could go online banking that day but for ease-of-use the Barclaycard one sounds better there.

Is there any reason to go for the Halifax one then in this case, since the £20 cashback wont apply here?

Like i say the Barclaycard one then appears better due to the cashback being unavailable but i don't know if i'm missing something.

Page 2
    • cazkins
    • By cazkins 6th Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    cazkins
    I'm not hugely savvy on credit cards but I got my first one in 2017 - Halifax Clarity - to take abroad as I had the £20 cashback (paid promptly, no problems) and no fees for use. When I came back, I popped into Halifax and they were very helpful - I just took the cash from the ATM and paid it all off in full. I'd certainly give it a thumbs up, just simple and straightforward, and better value than those that seem to charge for use in shops etc abroad.
    ... Just Keep Swimming ...
    • No_6
    • By No_6 6th Jan 18, 9:58 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    No_6
    I would have paid it in full when statement said,
    Never spend My money early unless it is due !
    BUT I never use h-clarity for cash, only purchases.
    so may be posting wrong.

will get my extra £20 soon
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 7th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    • 6,526 Posts
    • 3,455 Thanks
    chattychappy
    I never go abroad with less than 3 cards (Clarity, Santander Zero, Post Office Platinum for purchases). ATMs abroad can be very hit and miss.
    Originally posted by A_T
    Excellent advice. We've had two many threads along the lines of:

I went to XXX and took Martin's advice and got a XXX card. One night it was refused in a shop. Can you imagine how humiliated I felt? Everybody was looking at me as if I was a criminal. I went to an ATM and guess what. It didn't work again. Terrible service! I was left stranded and fuming. Couldn't get a taxi and to walk back to the hotel. I rang the bank and held for ages. The call cost me £30. Eventually they unblocked it. A whole day ruined. I phoned XXX when I got back and told them about their awful service. I want compensation for my spoilt day, the humiliation and call costs but they were very rude on the phone...

Some cards just don't work in some machines. Some cards trigger a local charge in an ATM, others don't. Cards can be lost, stolen, maxxed out, expired, swallowed, blocked or, rarely, retained by a merchant. If a card is blocked it can be so much easier just using another one and sorting it out later when you have easier access to reliable, cheaper telephony. I remember a few years ago I was in Taiwan and Zero got blocked. I had skype set up and phoned Santander. The non-geographic number wouldn't work from Taiwan (as I expected). The "international" number wouldn't work, because I got a message saying that the number was only for people abroad. It seems Skype was presenting a UK number as I called. So, strange stuff happens!

I typically take the following cards for cash:
    1. Clarity - £500 daily limit, no loading/fee - just interest.
    2. Santander Zero - £300 daily limit, no loading/fee - just interest.
    3. Barclaycard - £500 daily limit. 2.99% fixed fee, no additional loading. Up to 56 days interest free.

and the following for purchases:
    1. Santander Zero - no loading.
    2. Clarity - no loading.
    3. Nationwide Select - no loading
    4. Post Office - no loading.
    I also carry the following:
    1. MBNA - no special deals, but it has a 20K limit.
    2. Amex Gold Chargecard - have some insurance. Use for £ purchases when aborad.
    3. Nationwide debit* - to operate my card reader. (I carry two card readers.)

Depending on:
    • where I am
    • how much local cash I have
    • where else I have to store cards
    I carry 1 or 2 in my wallet and perhaps one more elsewhere on my person.

Remaining cards are either in a hotel safe, locked suitcase, with a trusted friend or in my office (overseas). This is probably all over the top for the average traveller. The above is where I'm away from the UK for 3 months or more and perhaps in multiple Asian countries.

*I do wish Nationwide could give me a card just to operate my card reader. I'm unhappy that I'm "forced" to carry a debit card all over the world when I have no intention of using the debit card functionality.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 7th Jan 18, 12:14 PM
    • 7,498 Posts
    • 4,929 Thanks
    Biggles
    Some cards just don't work in some machines. Some cards trigger a local charge in an ATM, others don't. Cards can be lost, stolen, maxxed out, expired, swallowed, blocked or, rarely, retained by a merchant. If a card is blocked it can be so much easier just using another one and sorting it out later when you have easier access to reliable, cheaper telephony.
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    I also always take several cards, some for purchases and some for ATM use.

We're all used to getting our card 'declined' (though that's not usually what's happened) abroad but I had an illuminating experience in West Africa this month. I went to pay our restaurant bill (using the same card I had used at the same place two nights previously) and it failed. I tried again; in the end I tried three different MasterCards a total of about ten times. The guy was very understanding but it was clear we were getting nowhere. Then he said, 'Just a minute, let's let this guy pay over here'. Obviously, it made sense to allow another customer to pay rather than waste time, but his card (also a MasterCard) went through no problem (as expected) and the waiter brought the machine back and said, 'Right, try now'. It worked first time, as he seemed to expect it would.

I'll remember that trick another time; if my cards aren't working, don't blame the bank, the machine or the phone line, just let someone else pay first.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 7th Jan 18, 12:28 PM
    • 6,526 Posts
    • 3,455 Thanks
    chattychappy
    I'll remember that trick another time; if my cards aren't working, don't blame the bank, the machine or the phone line, just let someone else pay first.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Interesting. It's not just West Africa strange things happen, but in West Croydon too! (Cue some politically incorrect observations about the good folk of West Croydon...)

Occasionally I pick up multiple orders from this retailer and it suits them if I pay separately for each order. REGARDLESS of the amount of the transaction, it will only let me pay once. Further transactions are declined (at least for the period immediately following.) Perhaps I need to try your trick: let someone else pay before the later attempts.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 8th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    • 7,498 Posts
    • 4,929 Thanks
    Biggles
    Perhaps I need to try your trick: let someone else pay before the later attempts.
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    Could be. What I found really interesting was that he seemed to expect it might make a difference. I was so relieved to finally be on my way that I never got round to asking him if he had any reason to expect it!
    • mariners184
    • By mariners184 10th Jan 18, 1:40 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mariners184
    A Warning re Barclaycard Platinum card - it doesn't work in Australia banks ATMs! Worked perfectly on trial in UK before I went and OK in Hongkong but tried it in 5 Australian Banks - in 2 consulted Customer Assistants when it didn't work but they couldn't get it to work either. This included the Commonwealth Bank of Australia - largest bank down under. Barclaycard tried to fob me off saying these Banks ATMs didn't support credit card cash withdrawals but not true according to these banks staff. Also Barclaycard couldn't provide me with a list of Banks the Card did work in either!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 10th Jan 18, 7:26 AM
    • 3,050 Posts
    • 1,384 Thanks
    eDicky
    A Warning re Barclaycard Platinum card - it doesn't work in Australia banks ATMs! Worked perfectly on trial in UK before I went and OK in Hongkong but tried it in 5 Australian Banks - in 2 consulted Customer Assistants when it didn't work but they couldn't get it to work either. This included the Commonwealth Bank of Australia - largest bank down under. Barclaycard tried to fob me off saying these Banks ATMs didn't support credit card cash withdrawals but not true according to these banks staff. Also Barclaycard couldn't provide me with a list of Banks the Card did work in either!
    Originally posted by mariners184
    Such random anomalies are another example of why you need to take at least two suitable cards when travelling. Much easier and cheaper than having to spend time and money on the phone to a UK provider, often to no avail as in this instance.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 13th Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    • 2,819 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Just to check with the accounts mentioned. The Halifax Clarity & the Barclaycard Platinum card - are they specific for Europe or America or are they fine worldwide?

Only reason i ask is because this year my sister is off to both America & Spain on 2 different holidays.

• Biggles
    • By Biggles 13th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 7,498 Posts
    • 4,929 Thanks
    Biggles
    Just to check with the accounts mentioned. The Halifax Clarity & the Barclaycard Platinum card - are they specific for Europe or America or are they fine worldwide?
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    They're worldwide
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

483Posts Today

4,577Users online

Martin's Twitter