Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 2nd Jan 18, 8:38 PM
    • 24,477Posts
    • 51,769Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Help! My home is freezing cold
    • 2nd Jan 18, 8:38 PM
    Help! My home is freezing cold 2nd Jan 18 at 8:38 PM
    I’m in need of some OS help this evening!

Situation: it’s a mild 9°C outside, my heating has been on all day and jacked up to 25° as soon as darkness fell. The house - and large-ish living room in particular - feels absolutely freezing.

Current remedy: new electric fire dragged in from my library on full blast and has only really started to make a difference now I’ve slung a faux-fur throw over my shivering form.

The future: I’ll be investing in rugs and sorting out the draughts. I have no wish to take up the beautiful flooring on the near future, so underfloor heating is not an option.

The challenge: what I would like is a recommendation on a modern electric fire that is effective in a space of roughly 200 sq ft (the JML handy heater would be a non-starter here) that is also economical to run. Is there any such thing? Whilst I’m happy to pay an initial outlet for the right product, I’m sceptical of claims that fires cost “a few pence per hour” to run, is this true? Something that costs 99p per hour to run is to me not cost-effective.

It goes without saying that any proposed solution must be stylish
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 2
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 35,697 Thanks
    Floss
    VFM do the free things first
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 5th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 12,340 Posts
    • 217,092 Thanks
    greenbee
    My HWB just ain't cutting it at night.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I'm using 3 at the moment. I also have a silk duvet, and use blankets when it's really cold

VFM do the free things first
    Originally posted by Floss
    This is the key

If there is sludge in the radiators it doesn't have to be expensive to fix, as you can do it yourself, but it's tedious. If the radiators are sludgy you may want to fit a magnaclean unit which will remove bits of metal as the water circulates, and is emptied when the boiler is serviced... I assume you've had your boiler serviced? If not, get it done and ask the engineer to check the radiators and balance them at the same time.

Review the timings and room stat/radiator temperatures - you may not have the heating on long enough or hot enough to make the house warm. My downstairs thermostat is in the cold hall, so at 18C the rest of the rooms are warm. My upstairs thermostat is on the warm landing, outside the airing cupboard. It has to be set to around 21 for the bedroom radiators to come on and warm up to a reasonable temperature.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 5th Jan 18, 3:46 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 4,032 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    What temperature is your home actually at? I don't mean what temp is the central heating set to. It might be worth using a thermometer to check.

If there's a large discrepancy between the actual temp and what the heating is set to, then you'll know you have a problem with the heating. If, however, the temp is OK but you still feel cold, then you need to start putting more jumpers on!!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 35,697 Thanks
    Floss
    VFM how is your home coming along? Have you got to an acceptably comfortable remperature yet?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 24,477 Posts
    • 51,769 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Thanks all, some good advice here.
    VFM how is your home coming along? Have you got to an acceptably comfortable remperature yet?
    Originally posted by Floss
    The temperature is improving, but I don't know whether that is because I am acclimatising or if my home is actually getting warmer. Its a strange place, the conservatory is lovely and warm this afternoon so I plan to spend the next hour reading in it . We're expecting next week to be another cold snap, aren't we?

My living room feels a lot better now, but I have resorted to a HWB plus blanket plus heating on all night, in addition to lots of layers during the day.

I like the idea of measuirng actual temp vs thermostat, have just downloaded Thermo / Robocat to tell me. Eta: I'm going to delete it, it tells me its 6 degrees but feels like 4. Its obviously just taking weather stats.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 14th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 7,247 Thanks
    Doveling
    Have you had a look at the beginning of the Preparing for Winter thread?

Lots of ideas for both short and long term fixes. Stay warm!

HTH
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,355Users online

Martin's Twitter