Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jellybro
    • By Jellybro 2nd Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 129Posts
    • 128Thanks
    Jellybro
    0 WOW
    Holidays with a dog
    • 2nd Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    0 WOW
    Holidays with a dog 2nd Jan 18 at 7:23 PM
    Hi all,

We have a new member of the family... a lovely little cavalier.
    Have any of you got any recommendations for holiday cottages or hotels that are dog friendly. It doesn’t matter where, but thinking ahead to the summer it might be nice to go away.

Thanks in advance!
Page 2
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 16th Jan 18, 9:14 AM
    • 928 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    MataNui
    Always take our dog with us. Usually rent a cottage and they have always been spotless. In fact you would never know a dog had ever been there.

Good areas are Derbyshire and Pembrokeshire. Most of the shops, cafes and pubs allow dogs.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 16th Jan 18, 10:02 AM
    • 4,604 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    knightstyle
    www.snaptrip.com propertyS50324 is where we stayed with our dog. Hidden out of the way and access was down stone steps but the best place we have stayed in UK. Top quality linen bedding lots of room and even a few dog treats left out.
    PS have you thought about getting a caravan? That is how we now spend most of our holidays.
    Last edited by knightstyle; 16-01-2018 at 10:04 AM. Reason: add a bit
    • queengoth
    • By queengoth 16th Jan 18, 12:33 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    queengoth
    Took our girl (spinger spaniel) With us to Scarborough, I just googled pet friendly hotels. We went off season as some beaches only allow dogs at certain times of the year. I believe Robin Hood bay allows dogs all year round ?
    Shady pines ma, shady pines
    • Jellybro
    • By Jellybro 17th Jan 18, 9:48 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Jellybro
    Thanks for all the ideas.

Knightstyle.. it looks lovely, thanks. My other half isn!!!8217;t keen on towing a caravan.... but I love the idea. The other thought was to get a motor home... but they are just so expensive!
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 17th Jan 18, 10:38 PM
    • 5,966 Posts
    • 6,075 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Took our girl (spinger spaniel) With us to Scarborough, I just googled pet friendly hotels. We went off season as some beaches only allow dogs at certain times of the year. I believe Robin Hood bay allows dogs all year round ?
    Originally posted by queengoth
    A bit further north, Whitby is very dog friendly - there are lots of holiday homes that accept dogs, and many of the cafe's, pubs etc actively welcome them.

However, as with Scarborough, the area of beach closest to the town is off-limits to dogs in the summer months, although you can take them to the area a bit further up the coast.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 20th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 4,238 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    I've used https://www.sykescottages.co.uk/ for a few years and they have a search option if you want to take pets.

We've never had any issues with smelly properties. Good luck in your search!
    My debt-free diary
    • Dawnmarie1
    • By Dawnmarie1 31st Jan 18, 9:32 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dawnmarie1
    Dog friendly
    Try Barendholidayvillage lovely log chalets near the local beach at Sandyhills south west Scotland. Pet friendly chalets and on site bar and restaurant.
    • mummyjane
    • By mummyjane 31st Jan 18, 10:56 AM
    • 359 Posts
    • 3,237 Thanks
    mummyjane
    http://www.woodlandcottages.org.uk are beautiful cottages and you can take as many dogs as you want. They have a secure field and attached woodland, it's really lovely x
    Groceries Challenge 2018
    Jan £202.95/£400, 8 NSDs
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 31st Jan 18, 6:01 PM
    • 6,036 Posts
    • 28,379 Thanks
    pineapple
    Hell will freeze over before I put my blind rescue into kennels. Plenty of holiday cottages take dogs these days - and some hotels too. Though I have found that cottages taking dogs tend to be the ones with hard floors or nasty nylon rugs/carpets that hang on to every dog hair. For some reason they also have rubbish vacuum cleaners. I spend so long trying to remove every single trace, I sometimes regret going away in the first place.
    • sturgeon62
    • By sturgeon62 31st Jan 18, 6:33 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    sturgeon62
    We have two lurchers which are quite large so are excluded from lots of places. We always holiday with them and have in the past stayed in some dire places until we found http://www.eastrustoncottages.co.uk/index.php
    Really dog friendly accommodation we even had a welcome pack for the dogs which included hand made dog treats, as well as holiday collars. The lets are really lovely. We stayed at Holmes House twice and it has super dog walks on the doorstep, the garden was secure for our dogs and I think they enjoyed the stay as much as us. There was a book which was packed with Dog places nearby, from walks to beaches to pubs, cafes and restaurants that would all allow our dogs.
    • Jellybro
    • By Jellybro 2nd Feb 18, 8:27 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Jellybro
    Thanks for all the suggestions, it!!!8217;s very much appreciated!
    Woodland cottages looks ideal!
    I will look through all the links.
    • Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 2nd Feb 18, 10:31 PM
    • 4,834 Posts
    • 4,236 Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie
    First time, we put our dog in kennels. She went in the huff and was off with us for about a week after we got home.
    Second time we left her with my inlaws and used a dog walking service. She never ate much for the first 3 days.
    Parkdeans has a pet friendly option under the accomodation tab.
    We now have a second dog, so decided to get a touring caravan, to give us more options.
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 9th Feb 18, 11:39 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    I would never use a kennel - dogs need their owners and to be abandoned in a kennel is so cruel. Also you don't know what goes on, many animals are cruelly treated too. If your dog escapes - it's up to you to find it again! Nightmare.

If you want a really rural cottage in North Wales this one is really clean and very good https://www.sykescottages.co.uk/cottage/North-Wales-Snowdonia-Llansannan/Hendre-Aled-Cottage-1-6481.html

If you want a place that allows your dog to be with you for all your meals, including in the posh dining room then the Woolpack Inn, Chilham is really lovely. We've only had lunch there so far, but it was fabulous.

I checked out their little cottages, just over the quiet road, including the mattress on their super king size bed - which is orthopaedic and felt brilliant - so we're planning to book this soon. Rate was, around £120 - 130 per night for us both but I can't remember if that included breakfast.

They were super friendly and made an enormous fuss of our great big pooch and really spoilt him - bringing in a big bowl of water to the posh dining room and not minding the watery mess he left on the floor in there, as he's a sloppy drinker! Also brought him a couple of dog treats!

Here's their website https://www.woolpackinnchilham.co.uk/

Good luck!
    • Jellybro
    • By Jellybro 11th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Jellybro
    Thank you happyinflorida for your personal recommendations.

We all love our dog, love spending time with her, and we are all really looking forward to having a holiday with her.
    • Abi_J
    • By Abi_J 13th Feb 18, 7:02 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Abi_J
    Look for "pet friendly" search term when you are looking for a place. I usually use Booking.com since it has filters which you can use and find the place you would like to visit.
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 13th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 9,480 Posts
    • 14,225 Thanks
    chucknorris
    I don’t want to put her in kennels. We want to holiday with her.

Yes, I have googled, but I was hoping that people would have personal experience of good places to go.
    We have camping gear, and took her with us in the summer... but fancied a proper bed!!
    Originally posted by Jellybro
    We take our dog with us too, he is family and deserves his holiday too, and anyway it wouldn't be the same without him. We are taking him to Spain for 3 weeks in April. We don't use one particular website, but we do try and use a one that has pet friendly in the search criteria.

We did take our dog to Scotland once and the cottage details said nothing about dogs, so I enquired anyway explaining that he had his own bed, and he knew that he isn't allowed on furniture and that he was a very well behaved Labrador, they allowed us to stay as an exception.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    After running injuries I now mostly hike, gym classes and weight training (also a bit of cycling and swimming), less impact on my joints.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 15,874 Posts
    • 40,063 Thanks
    elsien
    I would never use a kennel - dogs need their owners and to be abandoned in a kennel is so cruel. Also you don't know what goes on, many animals are cruelly treated too. If your dog escapes - it's up to you to find it again! Nightmare.
    !
    Originally posted by happyinflorida
    I do have to disagree with this sentiment. I've used both kennels and pet sitters and some dogs are absolutely fine in kennels. I've use my kennels for the last 20 years. Gitdog doesn't have a faithful bone in his body and will happily trundle off without a backwards glance if he thinks there's a belly rub and a heat lamp in it for him.
    They don't suit all dogs, but it's certainly not cruel to leave a dog that doesn't give a toss about separation anxiety in one for a couple of weeks.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 13th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    • 9,480 Posts
    • 14,225 Thanks
    chucknorris
    I do have to disagree with this sentiment. I've used both kennels and pet sitters and some dogs are absolutely fine in kennels. I've use my kennels for the last 20 years. Gitdog doesn't have a faithful bone in his body and will happily trundle off without a backwards glance if he thinks there's a belly rub and a heat lamp in it for him.
    They don't suit all dogs, but it's certainly not cruel to leave a dog that doesn't give a toss about separation anxiety in one for a couple of weeks.
    Originally posted by elsien
    I agree that he has over stated it, but it works both ways, yes dogs will miss their family, but I assure you that on holiday without my dog, I would also miss him (very much), not only miss, I would also worry about him too, to the extent where it was starting to spoil my holiday. So although it might not be cruel to the dog, it would be cruel to me, and as I'm the one paying for the holiday, why the hell should I pay to be miserable, when i could pay to have a good time. It certainly would not be a holiday for me without my dog.

I did actually go on a 5 day holiday to the Isle Of Man with a friend without my dog, he stayed at home with my wife, and she said that he was miserable, and every day was looking out the lounge window for me, as well as searching the house. I missed him too, and I don't think that I will ever holiday again without my dog. We are taking him to Spain for 3 weeks this April.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    After running injuries I now mostly hike, gym classes and weight training (also a bit of cycling and swimming), less impact on my joints.
    • Zandy_23
    • By Zandy_23 17th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Zandy_23
    I'd rather that you go to a park or camp out. Dogs love nature and you'll get the chance to really bond with your pet and save money along the way.
    • jhe
    • By jhe 17th Feb 18, 8:52 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    jhe
    we leave our dog with family if we go abroad, but last year we booked a holiday to Tralee Bay near Oban, they have statics or Lodges, not a lot on the site but a little beach, sand dunes and a well kept site .
    we travelled all over the area on days out with our dog, she loved it,
    Cable Car up the mountain next to Ben Nevis. Glencoe, another day we walked around the base and visitor centre of Ben Nevis, Fort William. Aviemore, Isle of Seil. Loch Ness. ferry over to Isle of Mull. we had a brilliant holiday and so did our pooch
    Just to add . the accommodation was immaculate and didnt smell
    Last edited by jhe; 17-02-2018 at 8:58 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,417Posts Today

7,255Users online

Martin's Twitter