Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 2nd Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    • 35,795Posts
    • 46,085Thanks
    McKneff
    Shingles...
    • 2nd Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    Shingles... 2nd Jan 18 at 7:15 PM
    I thought i had a burn, it changed so i thought i had pricked my hand on a rose Thorn, it changed again got some pimples and so i have blummin shingles
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
Page 1
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Jan 18, 10:19 AM
    • 18,664 Posts
    • 49,039 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 3rd Jan 18, 10:19 AM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 10:19 AM
    I thought i had a burn, it changed so i thought i had pricked my hand on a rose Thorn, it changed again got some pimples and so i have blummin shingles
    Originally posted by McKneff
    Has your GP confirmed that it is shingles or have you self-diagnosed?

See your GP as-soon-as.
    • Janey3
    • By Janey3 3rd Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 834 Thanks
    Janey3
    • 3rd Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    Sympathies from me too. Have had shingles right side of torso, went to GP who straight away diagnosed shingles. Prescribed big bullet type pills, probably antibiotics and some soothing cream. Mine took approx 6 weeks to clear. I took myself off to the spare bedroom to sleep and did not share towels with anyone. Made me feel abit down but made a full recovery. GP said it can recur. All the best to you.
    • Lizabeth21
    • By Lizabeth21 3rd Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    Lizabeth21
    • 3rd Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    It can appear when you are in a particularly anxious state where you see no way out. Usually on a nerve. Very painful and takes awhile to clear. Related to chicken pox I think.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 3rd Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 38,255 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 3rd Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    It is the chicken pox virus, so I think you are more liable if you have had chicken pox in the past- that's my understanding. However, I have heard of children as young as 4 getting shingles......
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling .... Entrant 8 ... £.00!
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 3rd Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    unrecordings
    • 3rd Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    I'm just getting over it. Thought I'd trapped a nerve in my shoulder - I was in agony for two weeks even with medication. I'm getting over 18 months of chemo and was really getting back on track when this hit me. The shingles themselves scabbed over and dissipated within about a week, but the pain still lingers even nearly six weeks later - it's like banging your funny bone but constant...
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 3rd Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 35,795 Posts
    • 46,085 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 3rd Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    Has your GP confirmed that it is shingles or have you self-diagnosed?

See your GP as-soon-as.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Gp confrmed it before i posted here.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 4th Jan 18, 3:47 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    unrecordings
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:47 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 3:47 PM
    Good luck with it. I found heat worked nicely for the pain. Conversely the cold really did make it feel worse
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 4th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 35,795 Posts
    • 46,085 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    Good luck with it. I found heat worked nicely for the pain. Conversely the cold really did make it feel worse
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    I think you are right, i had a hot bath, as opposed to the cool one suggested and it was a bit less painful.

Calamine lotion does nothing
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 4th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    • 35,795 Posts
    • 46,085 Thanks
    McKneff
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    I think you are right, i had a hot bath, as opposed to the cool one suggested and it was a bit less painful.
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 4th Jan 18, 7:29 PM
    • 4,241 Posts
    • 4,587 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    It is the chicken pox virus, so I think you are more liable if you have had chicken pox in the past- that's my understanding. However, I have heard of children as young as 4 getting shingles......
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    You can't get shingles if you haven't had chicken pox, its cause by the chicken pox virus which lives dormant in your spine.

I've had it twice so you have my sympathies, the key is getting the drugs as quickly as possible.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • annie_d
    • By annie_d 4th Jan 18, 8:22 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 1,989 Thanks
    annie_d
    10 years on, the pain in my back can still wake me up.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 4th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I had it on my arm, it didn't itch so the cream was pointless - i asked for it to be left off my prescription. a cool bath would be for the itching if you have that.

Hot water bottle lodged in the armpit when I went to bed did the trick for me
    Last edited by unrecordings; 04-01-2018 at 8:52 PM.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 4th Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 8,065 Thanks
    Callie22
    I've had it twice so you have my sympathies, the key is getting the drugs as quickly as possible.
    Originally posted by sammyjammy
    Absolutely this. My mum had shingles really badly last year but it was initially mis-diagnosed. She's still suffering really badly from nerve pain and various other issues, so get the anti-virals asap!!
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 5th Jan 18, 10:53 AM
    • 7,349 Posts
    • 16,398 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    I was in hospital some years ago when a woman was brought in - she was screaming, swearing and fighting the medical staff like she was possessed by a demon - turned out she had shingles . .

I had it myself but, luckily, I was perscribed antivirals within a few hours of the welt appearing on my back. I had the typical 'spine to sternum' configuration and the skin was very sore to touch but it was the random stabbing pains and prickling that caused the most discomfort. This carried on for about 6 months although the rash itself faded in about 2 weeks.

Hope you get better soon and aren't in too much pain!
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Jan 18, 11:30 AM
    • 18,664 Posts
    • 49,039 Thanks
    Pollycat
    My Mum had it too.
    She cried with pain.

Hope yours is a short-lived and not too painful bout.
    • DREKLY
    • By DREKLY 7th Jan 18, 7:21 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    DREKLY
    There is an anti - shingle injection available, after suffering shingles myself last year on my torso (and I wouldn't wish it on anybody), I have never been in such pain for so long...
    I managed to convince my surgery to give me the injection.

Initially I was told it was only available if you birthdate was xyz after a september, or some such restrictive ruling...
    I pointed out that the injection was available to anyone over 50 in the USA, so why not here ??
    You can imagine the reply I got from the medical staff.....
    16 x Enhance 250w panels + SolarEdge Inverter + TREES
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 7th Jan 18, 8:54 AM
    • 5,993 Posts
    • 11,137 Thanks
    GwylimT
    There is an anti - shingle injection available, after suffering shingles myself last year on my torso (and I wouldn't wish it on anybody), I have never been in such pain for so long...
    I managed to convince my surgery to give me the injection.

Initially I was told it was only available if you birthdate was xyz after a september, or some such restrictive ruling...
    I pointed out that the injection was available to anyone over 50 in the USA, so why not here ??
    You can imagine the reply I got from the medical staff.....
    Originally posted by DREKLY
    For which they will pay around $250 unless they have very good insurance, in which case they will pay around $100. It only costs £100 if you pay yourself, after the flu jab I think it's the cheapest vaccine you can get privately.
    • katiekittykat
    • By katiekittykat 7th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 9,369 Posts
    • 36,355 Thanks
    katiekittykat
    I have had shingles twice and they are horrendous - I was still using the Lidocaine patches from the Dr 8 months later for the pain.

Hope you feel better soon x
    Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • jeradon
    • By jeradon 10th Jan 18, 6:39 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jeradon
    Shingles can be treated by taking an anti-viral drug. Go to your doctor as soon as possible.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,806Posts Today

8,581Users online

Martin's Twitter