Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 2nd Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 281Posts
    • 1,183Thanks
    sofarbehind
    All the single ladies vs 145k
    • 2nd Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    All the single ladies vs 145k 2nd Jan 18 at 6:49 PM
    Put your hands up! Hello everyone!

As a long term lurker on this section I'm very excited to finally be in a position to join you MFWs. I finally managed to buy a house by myself last year I am in my late 30s and had very poor wages and worse money management skills in my 20s that mean I am financially very behind a lot of people my age. I am indeed sofarbehind and have a lot of catching up to do.

There is only me, newly single and I don't even have a cat. Wasn't financially involved with the ex so that is simple at least. My mortgage is for 145k over 24 years, 5 year fix at 2.29%. That is a LOT of money I owe the Halifax. Last year I didn't do a lot of saving, I spent a lot on household items..I had NO furniture / basic kitchen stuff thanks to house shares. So I cut myself some slack and have made the house a home. Now it's time to knuckle back down and tackle that 145K.

There are a lot of positives to my situation. I am lucky enough to have a good job these days, have no other debts, am in a great pension scheme and I am quite MSE.

My master plan is to get the balance down to £100k before I remortgage. That means I need to overpay by 25k in the next four and a half years. This is an ambitious goal but it's achievable if I am sensible. For the coming year I plan to save an emergency fund of 10k before I really start on the mortgage. I miss having a good safety net and want this in place by August. My current emergency fund is at 3k. I think I am going to round up my mortgage payments by £347/month to £1000 until this is done, just so that I am chipping away at it. I have prioritised the emergency fund this month so my first OP will be on 01.02.18.

Phew, well done if you have read this far...I will come back and post a SOA later to help me budget.
    Save 12k in 2015, Number #052 (19.4k)
    Save 12k in 2016, Number #031 (15.1)
    Save 12k in 2018, £800 / £10k target

Mortgage overpayments 2018: £0
    Huge mortgage £145K
Page 4
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 6th Jan 18, 10:15 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    Well the slow cooker is on and wafting a lovely sausage casserole smell around, fingers crossed it tastes OK because I will be eating it for a while. I spent £14 on the ingredients but this will make two batches and included three stock cupboard items. I also bought 10 of the take-way boxes recommend for £1.

I don't have a microwave so I am hopeful that I can just re-heat it on a stove / oven?? If I have to I will just buy a microwave.

I forced myself to running this morning, it's freezing and I really wanted to stay in bed. I really struggled and walked at least half of the 5k, I have got soooo unfit. I felt better afterwards, I just have to keep at it..
    Originally posted by sofarbehind
    Well done - positive changes and all for the better. It is hard to drag your a£^e out on a cold January morning so you can be proud I went to a circuits class and came back and sank into a lovely hot bath with a bath bomb I'd got for Christmas - total bliss! How was the casserole?
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 7th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    Well done you forcing yourself to go for a run - getting healthier this year is one of my resolutions, but I'm not a runner at all! lol So I'm impressed by your determination!
    Originally posted by zackyv6661
    I'm definitely not a natural Being healthy is a great resolution, have you decided what you're going to do yet? Taking care of yourself is so important. I think I'm going to steal your resolution,,

Well done - positive changes and all for the better. It is hard to drag your a£^e out on a cold January morning so you can be proud I went to a circuits class and came back and sank into a lovely hot bath with a bath bomb I'd got for Christmas - total bliss! How was the casserole?
    Originally posted by ninnoodle
    Ah thanks. I just need to keep it up now. Circuits are really hard, I did a class back in my 20s, so good for you, you must be a lot fitter than I am. I think having a lovely bath is the perfect reward for putting yourself through that.

The sausage casserole was really spicy and tasty. I browned the sausages beforehand but they went too soft, I think the low cooking time for 8 hours was waaay too long for my slow cooker. Next time I will do 6 hours and add them half way through. I will also make a veggie bean version minus sausages to be a bit healthier and cheaper. I love beans. I had four portions left over that are in the freezer. I've got the slow cooker on again now with Thai green curry. I realised I had lots of stir-fry veg that needs using up, usually that would have ended up in the bin. I think I'm going to be a slow cooker convert very soon. By tonight I will have all of next weeks evening meals done, that is amazing!

Huge mortgage £145K
    • Cicatriz
    • By Cicatriz 7th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Cicatriz
    Good going with casserole. Did you follow a recipe or just wing it? You'll notice the costs starting to drop soon as the early spend on pantry stuff starts to ease off.

Also, congrats on the exercise. Nice to get those first outings out of the way. I've got my road bike ready for winter, but it was pretty icy around here today, so gave it a miss. I could do with getting out soon, though.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Jan 18, 8:29 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 7,596 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Well done on the batch cooking, it will be so nice at the end of a long day to have a healthy hm ready meal waiting.
    You’ve made so many positive changes already - you’re going to have a great year 😁 xx
    • zackyv6661
    • By zackyv6661 8th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    zackyv6661
    I'm definitely not a natural Being healthy is a great resolution, have you decided what you're going to do yet? Taking care of yourself is so important. I think I'm going to steal your resolution
    Feel free to steal it!
    I need to lose weight anyway, but I just want to focus on making my diet much healthier, as I am constantly full of aches and pains and my diet is really awful right now! And I want to gradually get fitter this year too, as I just don't do enough exercise at the moment. I'm lucky if I am exercising for more than 30 minutes every day. Desk jobs are evil that way
    Credit Card: £5350 (£5210 remaining)
    Overdraft: £1498.68
    Loan 1: £5000 (£2252.26 remaining)
    Loan 2: £1656.90 (£657.35 remaining)
    Very: £703.97 (£553.97 remaining)
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge: £291.51/£2018
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 8th Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    Ah thanks. I just need to keep it up now. Circuits are really hard, I did a class back in my 20s, so good for you, you must be a lot fitter than I am. I think having a lovely bath is the perfect reward for putting yourself through that.

The sausage casserole was really spicy and tasty. I browned the sausages beforehand but they went too soft, I think the low cooking time for 8 hours was waaay too long for my slow cooker. Next time I will do 6 hours and add them half way through. I will also make a veggie bean version minus sausages to be a bit healthier and cheaper. I love beans. I had four portions left over that are in the freezer. I've got the slow cooker on again now with Thai green curry. I realised I had lots of stir-fry veg that needs using up, usually that would have ended up in the bin. I think I'm going to be a slow cooker convert very soon. By tonight I will have all of next weeks evening meals done, that is amazing!
    It's been so icy here it's been impossible to go out for a run. I've been going to the classes at the sports centre instead. It is great - for £20 a month I have full use of the pool, gym and all classes which I think is super value. I've moved to a new area where I know no one so this is a great way for me to meet people (as I don't have kids and work from home so this can be quite isolating). I do love exercise and the benefits are immense.
    Oh the slow cooker is great - I am now a total convert too! It is so fine to have your dinners all cooked and ready, just waiting to be heated up every evening. Right now I've got lentil soup on the go - got a bag of YS parsnips (29p) and bag of Aldi carrots (25p) along with a pile of lentils and stock and seasoning - smells great and will last me for the week for either lunches or tea. Tonight I'm going to make a lamb curry in it I love beans as well and am making a three bean chilli for this weekend when my veggie friend is coming to stay.
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 8th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    Well done on the batch cooking, it will be so nice at the end of a long day to have a healthy hm ready meal waiting.
    You’ve made so many positive changes already - you’re going to have a great year 😁 xx
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    Ah thanks very much, I need to make this great year happen by keeping it up.

Good going with casserole. Did you follow a recipe or just wing it? You'll notice the costs starting to drop soon as the early spend on pantry stuff starts to ease off
    Originally posted by Cicatriz
    I combined a couple of different recipes, it was easy and I have the second batch cooking right now. The Thai curry was less successful but it's alright.

I've been going to the classes at the sports centre instead. It is great - for £20 a month I have full use of the pool, gym and all classes which I think is super value.

Tonight I'm going to make a lamb curry in it I love beans as well and am making a three bean chilli for this weekend when my veggie friend is coming to stay.
    £20/month is really cheap for all that! It's true that exercise makes you feel a lot better. I feel a bit demoralised by how much fitness I have lost, I don't think I've ever been this unfit. Oh and I'm 10 pounds heavier so I look terrible too. All fixable with the slow cooker and running. Ooh and three bean chilli is a great idea, I think I will try that next.

I have given in and ordered a microwave, I know I need to make things easy for myself. I have a tiny kitchen and spent ages looking for something that will fit difficult space. So I have spent a lot more than I wanted to....but will be fully equipped for easy proper meals after work soon. Hopefully I will see the MSE benefits, it's cost a fortune so far

Huge mortgage £145K
    • Cicatriz
    • By Cicatriz 8th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Cicatriz
    You're getting there. Not everything I make is successful, although I've only made a couple of things of the past five years that were complete disasters.

I'm thinking of getting a microwave oven to replace the plain microwave I've got. That was a freebie off my cousin when I got my house as he didn't need it anymore. I quite often have my oven to heat just a few slices of garlic bread or naan. Hoping it might save some cash and electric in the long run. Have to keep thinking about the long game

The microwave is great though. Heat some food from frozen in 5-7 mins while some pasta/rice cooked in 10-15 mins. Decent dinner in 15 minutes or lesss
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 8th Jan 18, 9:44 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    Eight more portions of sausage casserole area ready for the freezer and I dragged myself for a 25mins solo run. I don't know who I am any more...

Huge mortgage £145K
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 9th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    Eight more portions of sausage casserole area ready for the freezer and I dragged myself for a 25mins solo run. I don't know who I am any more...
    Awesome, well done you! You're doing great!
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 9th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    sofarbehind

Awesome, well done you! You're doing great!
    Thanks very much. I am feeling so much more positive after the glums of last year. I feel like things are under control and that is nice.

I stole pinkypig's present idea today, stocked up on xmas cards, lovely wrapping paper and boots gifts. Wrapping paper was only 38p, down from £2 and will last me ages as I bought 9 packs. I spent a fair bit in total with the boots things but I've made a good head start on pressies for this year. Being this organised feels amazing.

Huge mortgage £145K
    • zackyv6661
    • By zackyv6661 9th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    zackyv6661
    Thanks very much. I am feeling so much more positive after the glums of last year. I feel like things are under control and that is nice.

I stole pinkypig's present idea today, stocked up on xmas cards, lovely wrapping paper and boots gifts. Wrapping paper was only 38p, down from £2 and will last me ages as I bought 9 packs. I spent a fair bit in total with the boots things but I've made a good head start on pressies for this year. Being this organised feels amazing.
    Glad to hear you are feeling positive! That makes such a difference!

38p is a brilliant price for wrapping paper!! I got some good bargains on Xmas wrapping paper from the Paperchase sale for next Christmas, and a couple of rolls to keep and use for birthdays too - got to love a bargain. And I completely agree - being organised is a great feeling!!
    Credit Card: £5350 (£5210 remaining)
    Overdraft: £1498.68
    Loan 1: £5000 (£2252.26 remaining)
    Loan 2: £1656.90 (£657.35 remaining)
    Very: £703.97 (£553.97 remaining)
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge: £291.51/£2018
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 7,596 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Well done on your sales shopping - saves you money and a load of stress. Win/win

Are you enjoying those nutritious, easy dinners?

PP xx
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 10th Jan 18, 10:21 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    I got some good bargains on Xmas wrapping paper from the Paperchase sale for next Christmas, and a couple of rolls to keep and use for birthdays too - got to love a bargain. And I completely agree - being organised is a great feeling!!
    Originally posted by zackyv6661
    Oh brilliant, I love Paperchase. We're all at the organised wrapping paper buying..

Well done on your sales shopping - saves you money and a load of stress. Win/win

Are you enjoying those nutritious, easy dinners?
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    Thanks, I have never managed to get myself sorted in the sales before and you're right about the stress. I'm waiting for the microwave to arrive so I've just worked my way through using up stuff in the fridge this week, I'm looking forward to that casserole. This is the first time in ages I haven't had to throw food away.

Today I arranged a regular overpayment of £346, making my mortgage payment a nice round £1000pm. If I just let this tick over it will be enough to get me to 50% LTV by the time I re-mortgage. Yay. So hopefully, if I still have my job, after I have an emergency fund in place I should be really able to get working on it. I can't wait for that first overpayment in three weeks. Yay.

I also took myself for a little 25 min run, actually ran most of it and felt so happy to see some progress, even if it is tiny.

The non-MSE news is the £65 I spent on new upmarket make up. Going to make more effort and feel better about myself, the old self-esteem has taken a battering. Don't usually wear any because I'm lazy, it's all very subtle and natural so hopefully will be a little boost and I will actually make the effort..

Huge mortgage £145K
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 11th Jan 18, 9:01 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    Today I arranged a regular overpayment of £346, making my mortgage payment a nice round £1000pm. If I just let this tick over it will be enough to get me to 50% LTV by the time I re-mortgage. Yay.

I also took myself for a little 25 min run, actually ran most of it and felt so happy to see some progress, even if it is tiny.

The non-MSE news is the £65 I spent on new upmarket make up. Going to make more effort and feel better about myself, the old self-esteem has taken a battering. Don't usually wear any because I'm lazy, it's all very subtle and natural so hopefully will be a little boost and I will actually make the effort..
    Awesome - well done on all of that!! I cannot wait until payday myself so i can make an overpayment from what is left in my account. Some people will think that is a bit sad - I get excited by it And well done on the running. Keep at it and you'll soon see big results, and that will definitely help the old self-esteem too. I am with you on that count and think it's time to treat myself as well - I feel like I aged two decades in the last 6 months of 2017 with all the stress and sadness. We all need a little pick me up to help ourselves when confidence has been battered
    • Cicatriz
    • By Cicatriz 11th Jan 18, 11:13 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Cicatriz
    Wow! Turnaround.

Inspirational stuff. GG.
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 13th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    Happy Saturday people!

I have a chilli in the slow cooker and the house smells lovely. I have been for two more 'runs', although they were run-walks because I was too ambitious with the hills and distance. It's sad to realise I'm too unfit to do what I could easily manage a year ago. Just have to keep chipping away it for a few months...

I'm feeling quite glum today, I still wish I had bought in an area seven miles away. It's a lot more expensive but I had a better quality of life there. I feel very isolated and stuck here. The shocking traffic means it isn't easy to drive that short distance. I want to sell and move but in my preferred area a house would be 250-260k and prices are going up. I made such a mistake buying here.

In good news my food shop came to £15 today and I have lost 3 pounds since the start of the year. Yay!
    Last edited by sofarbehind; 14-01-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Huge mortgage £145K
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 14th Jan 18, 12:21 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    Still feeling really down about this area. It's quiet and I have good neighbours and I feel safe. I know that is worth a lot but I feel very socially isolated and the only groups to join are aimed at parents. I have literally no family in the picture and no friends in this wider region so I feel horribly isolated. I try to get to the things in my old area but that means driving in nightmare traffic after work and I attend things less or arrive too late. Public transport would be worse and I hate cycling on the roads here because of the traffic, a bus nearly hot me last time and I haven't tried since. Last time I mentioned it on this site people told me to shut up essentially. LOL. I am in a better frame of mind now but after nearly a year still massively regret moving here. The area I want to be in is rapidly going up in price. I don't know if I should just cut my losses and try to sell ASAP and accept an even bigger mortgage. Or hang in for 12 more months then do it. I need to move.

Had a massive cry this morning over all of this.
    Last edited by sofarbehind; 14-01-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Huge mortgage £145K
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 14th Jan 18, 2:54 PM
    • 2,205 Posts
    • 9,916 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Still feeling really down about this area. It's quiet and I have good neighbours and I feel safe. I know that is worth a lot but I feel very socially isolated and the only groups to join are aimed at parents. I have literally no family in the picture and no friends in this wider region so I feel horribly isolated. I try to get to the things in my old area but that means driving in nightmare traffic after work and I attend things less or arrive too late. Public transport would be worse and I hate cycling on the roads here because of the traffic, a bus nearly hot me last time and I haven't tried since. Last time I mentioned it on this site people told me to shut up essentially. LOL. I am in a better frame of mind now but after nearly a year still massively regret moving here. The area I want to be in is rapidly going up in price. I don't know if I should just cut my losses and try to sell ASAP and accept an even bigger mortgage. Or hang in for 12 more months then do it. I need to move.

Had a massive cry this morning over all of this.
    Sorry to hear your so miserable, (and I hope you don't take this the wrong way - meant with best intentions ) BUT

What's stopping you?

Get looking, drive round the area, check estate agents, and give them details of what you are looking for and a rough guide price. Any property auctions in the area ? that's how I purchased mine, no way would I have been able to buy my property at the "normal" price.

Cut your losses? What losses, has your property not went up in price since you bought it? even if not, if I felt miserable for so long, I wouldn't care about the losses.

You have everything going for you, age is on your side - they wouldn't even give me a 20 year mortgage (done me a favour, though ) - you could say I earn half what you do, but I still pay either the same or more including o/ps every month on my mortgage. Once you have a goal, it's amazing how you find the energy and incentive to reach it.

There is so much you can do - affordability doesn't seem to be the problem , and as I see it, that's the only problem that could/would hold you back, that and not being able to sell your own property There are so many money saving ways on here, its frightening just how much you can save.

As someone once said to me (aka - a good kick up the backside ) - "no point sitting there waiting for it to happen, if you want it, you have to get up off your backside and go get it, your the only one going to make it happen"

So I did (aged 52)

If I can - You certainly CAN !!!
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage balance and one day it will all be 0's
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/£4000, 2015/£6294.69,2016/£3186.80
    2017 £4068.97
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 14th Jan 18, 3:32 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,239 Thanks
    bexster1975
    Hi

Everything AFK says!

Alternatively, but with a similar attitude, is it not likely there are others in your area in your demographic? I've no idea where abouts you are but could you start something yourself? I also don't know what you are in to but things I've seen include, knit and natter, book club, WI ( don't laugh, there are younger and younger people at these groups, and a wealth of skills).

You could indeed move if that's your best option, but truth is you need to drive it, no one else will.

ETA: could it be that your feelings about the area currently are coloured by your newly single status? I'm not trying to be rude, it would be perfectly natural. Just might be worth giving it a few months
    Bexster
    Last edited by bexster1975; 14-01-2018 at 3:39 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

465Posts Today

5,770Users online

Martin's Twitter