Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 2nd Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 281Posts
    • 1,182Thanks
    sofarbehind
    All the single ladies vs 145k
    • 2nd Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    All the single ladies vs 145k 2nd Jan 18 at 6:49 PM
    Put your hands up! Hello everyone!

As a long term lurker on this section I'm very excited to finally be in a position to join you MFWs. I finally managed to buy a house by myself last year I am in my late 30s and had very poor wages and worse money management skills in my 20s that mean I am financially very behind a lot of people my age. I am indeed sofarbehind and have a lot of catching up to do.

There is only me, newly single and I don't even have a cat. Wasn't financially involved with the ex so that is simple at least. My mortgage is for 145k over 24 years, 5 year fix at 2.29%. That is a LOT of money I owe the Halifax. Last year I didn't do a lot of saving, I spent a lot on household items..I had NO furniture / basic kitchen stuff thanks to house shares. So I cut myself some slack and have made the house a home. Now it's time to knuckle back down and tackle that 145K.

There are a lot of positives to my situation. I am lucky enough to have a good job these days, have no other debts, am in a great pension scheme and I am quite MSE.

My master plan is to get the balance down to £100k before I remortgage. That means I need to overpay by 25k in the next four and a half years. This is an ambitious goal but it's achievable if I am sensible. For the coming year I plan to save an emergency fund of 10k before I really start on the mortgage. I miss having a good safety net and want this in place by August. My current emergency fund is at 3k. I think I am going to round up my mortgage payments by £347/month to £1000 until this is done, just so that I am chipping away at it. I have prioritised the emergency fund this month so my first OP will be on 01.02.18.

Phew, well done if you have read this far...I will come back and post a SOA later to help me budget.
    Save 12k in 2015, Number #052 (19.4k)
    Save 12k in 2016, Number #031 (15.1)
    Save 12k in 2018, £800 / £10k target

Mortgage overpayments 2018: £0
    Huge mortgage £145K
Page 3
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 4th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,182 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    Ah I live in the Highlands and venison is very in season at the moment!
    Originally posted by ninnoodle
    Ah I see, I still think that makes you a slow-cooker queen though..

Oh this thread definitely needs subscribing to for me Another single-y here although looking at your SoA's I think I need a career change
    Originally posted by Kerreh
    I had a career change at 30, did two extra degrees part time while working.. Only now do I know it was really worth it.

I've subscribed to this thread also. Last time I checked i'm definitely not a lady.
    Originally posted by robgoode
    You aren't single or a lady??? Get off my thread. It's OK, I adopt you as an honorary single lady.

I went to the beginners running group tonight then came home and made stir-fry. Just need to keep it up for the rest of the year.

Huge mortgage £145K
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 4th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,182 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    My only other thought is the Gas and Electric is high at a combined £80. Have you any idea why that is? Is it a result of high consumption or a bad tarrif? If it's the consumption do you know what might be causing it?
    Originally posted by Cicatriz
    Thanks very much for commenting. I honestly thought that wasn't too bad?! I'm in the MSE energy club so it isn't the tarrif, although that is due to switch again. I do have a draughty Victorian 3 bed with HUGE windows and stripped floors. Thinking about it the heating is on a timer from 6-9am and I head to work at 6.30am so I am being a tit there. I hate being cold. I will amend my timer and double check I'm using as much energy as they think I am..haven't taken much notice of that or sent a meter reading for a bit.

Huge mortgage £145K
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 4th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Has your sc arrived yet? If you're feeling a tingle of excitement about it that's your inner Mfw doing a jig
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 4th Jan 18, 9:48 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,182 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    Has your sc arrived yet? If you're feeling a tingle of excitement about it that's your inner Mfw doing a jig
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    Hello PP It hasn't, it has shipped though so hopefully won't be that long. You aren't wrong, I'm really excited about it coming. Hurry, hurry to me SC. I have grand sausage casserole plans you would be proud of. If you weren't a pig. Beef sausages obviously piggy..

This sounds silly but what do you freeze individual portions in? Freezer bags??

Huge mortgage £145K
    • Cicatriz
    • By Cicatriz 4th Jan 18, 10:00 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Cicatriz
    Thanks very much for commenting. I honestly thought that wasn't too bad?! I'm in the MSE energy club so it isn't the tarrif, although that is due to switch again. I do have a draughty Victorian 3 bed with HUGE windows and stripped floors. Thinking about it the heating is on a timer from 6-9am and I head to work at 6.30am so I am being a tit there. I hate being cold. I will amend my timer and double check I'm using as much energy as they think I am..haven't taken much notice of that or sent a meter reading for a bit.
    Originally posted by sofarbehind
    I'm pretty anal about it now. Although I do have a new house which isn't that big and is thermally quite good. My gas consumption is mostly the standing charge despite being used for heating, hot water, and the hob. I'm also not that fussed by the cold and not averse to T-Shirt + Jumper + Dressing Gown

Also, don't use the bath much and rely on the shower. Usually only get a hot bath after particularly grueling sessions cycling.

Leaving the heating on each day for 3 hours each morning in a house like that will leak energy though. Might be better setting it from 5:30 to 6:30.

For freezing portions I mostly use stuff like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SATCO-1000CC-MICROWAVE-CONTAINERS-PLASWARE/dp/B00EO3R9SU?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&!!! !!duckduckgo-ffsb-uk-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creative ASIN=B00EO3R9SU

I also have freezer bags, too. Usually I put things like bread in them.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 4th Jan 18, 10:45 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Hello PP It hasn't, it has shipped though so hopefully won't be that long. You aren't wrong, I'm really excited about it coming. Hurry, hurry to me SC. I have grand sausage casserole plans you would be proud of. If you weren't a pig. Beef sausages obviously piggy..

This sounds silly but what do you freeze individual portions in? Freezer bags??
    Old yogurt pots and marg tubs mainly. Bags are good to freeze flat if you're short of space. Don't forget to label or its like culinary Russian Roulette.

Sausage casserole is one of our family faves
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 5th Jan 18, 7:25 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    Thanks very much for posting that ninnoodle. It's particularly interesting as we are in very similar circumstances with very similar incomes. I have to say I'm impressed! That looks seriously Spartan to me. Is your aim to aggressively overpay and be MF ASAP?. I thought I was aiming for a bit more of a relaxed approach but now I'm having a rethink. We are lucky to have so much spare to throw at this. Are you giving up a proper holiday? I would be quite happy to cut them out for a while and just visit friends and family in the UK. You have a wonderful cash buffer there, that is my first priority. Well done
    I'm surprised you think it is spartan, but then again I don't have a TV My holidays are spent in my campervan (hence my vehicle worth £15K) - my idea of a fun holiday is travelling about the country in my van and wandering the hills. I know, I am in the minority! I don't fancy a holiday abroad by myself anyway.
    My cash buffer was a combination of hardcore saving last year and a bit of profit from my house sale after I sold it last year. I'll keep £10K as my buffer and use the rest to put a new bathroom in as it is very dated. My aim is to plough as much as I can into savings / mortgage because I don't think my nicely paid job will last forever, so doing this while I can. Then, if I need to get a lower paid job when this job finishes, I'll be in a better position to remortgage to a good deal. My mortgage is fixed for 5 years so just trying to plough as much into it as possible. My overall dream is to retire early!
    • Runders
    • By Runders 5th Jan 18, 11:26 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Runders
    Hello all, just finished reading through the thread. I'm also aiming to pay off my mortgage on my own. I bought my house in 2014, set about a full renovation (not all of this was intended) and am aiming to pay off as much as my mortgage as possible for various reasons.

I've also recently bought a SC and need to get to grips with making some tasty/healthy and cheap meals. My food spend is ridiculous!
    MFW: Start: September 2014 - £110844
    Jan 2018: £96,407
    • Kerreh
    • By Kerreh 5th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Kerreh
    The desire to get on this slow cooker bandwagon is going against the desire to not spend money

Silly question... I leave home at 6.30am and get in anywhere between 5-6pm....

If a slow cooker recipe says 5 hrs cooking time what do you do - just put the slow cooker on a timer so it kicks into action partway through the day?
    • zackyv6661
    • By zackyv6661 5th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    zackyv6661
    The desire to get on this slow cooker bandwagon is going against the desire to not spend money

If a slow cooker recipe says 5 hrs cooking time what do you do - just put the slow cooker on a timer so it kicks into action partway through the day?
    I think it depends on the slow cooker you have. I have one at home which doesn't have a timer on it! I only ever use mine at the weekend though, as I don't trust it at home all day! I leave the house at 7:50am and get home around 6pm, so I wouldn't like to leave it on all that time. Would be interested to know what everyone else does with theirs though
    Credit Card: £5350 (£5260 remaining)
    Overdraft: £1498.68
    Loan 1: £5000 (£2252.26 remaining)
    Loan 2: £1656.90 (£867.90 remaining)
    Very: £703.97 (£553.97 remaining)
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge: £291.51/£2018
    • Cicatriz
    • By Cicatriz 5th Jan 18, 11:40 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Cicatriz

If you get one with a timer then that will do the trick, yes. A lot of recipes will give you times for different speeds of cooking, too. So you could say cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours. Another option would be something like hive control for your socket, so you could remotely turn it on, however, that means more expense and remembering to turn it on.
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 5th Jan 18, 12:21 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    I've put my SC on at night before, then turned it off in the morning, ready to serve into freezer portions (plus one for that evening's meal) when it has cooled. For recipes that have said 7-8 hours on low, I've had them for 10+ hours before and they're absolutely fine - but guess it depends on the recipe. For meat casseroles it's been fine and just tenderizes the meat even more in my experience.
    • Kerreh
    • By Kerreh 5th Jan 18, 1:34 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Kerreh
    Thanks very much for the replies Think cooking it either overnight or at the weekend and portioning up sounds the way to go (leaving things on unnerves me when I'm not there)... may see if my mum has a slow cooker I can borrow before investing in one
    • Dot Common
    • By Dot Common 5th Jan 18, 6:47 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    Dot Common
    I've enjoyed reading your diary so far, sofarbehind, and seeing the community that's already built up! I've just subscribed to follow your journey, so thought it only polite to say hello!
    MFW #172 2018 target: reduce offset balance by £30,000; target balance by end of 2018: 156,300. Target Tracker Jan 18: £675/£30,000
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 5th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Thinking about it the heating is on a timer from 6-9am and I head to work at 6.30am so I am being a tit there.
    Thank you - that made me properly laugh. Love an honest post and a bit of blunt self awareness
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 5th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,182 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    I've put my SC on at night before, then turned it off in the morning, ready to serve into freezer portions (plus one for that evening's meal) when it has cooled,
    Originally posted by ninnoodle
    This is a good idea. I completely understand you wanting to pay off as much as possible ASAP and get yourself into a better position just in case the work situation changes. This is exactly how I feel. At the moment I need a higher paying job and that makes me a bit uneasy

I've enjoyed reading your diary so far, sofarbehind, and seeing the community that's already built up! I've just subscribed to follow your journey, so thought it only polite to say hello!
    Originally posted by Dot Common
    Hello. Love your user name, brilliant. Thanks for subscribing, it really is shaping up to be a lovely little community already and I didn't expect that.

Thank you - that made me properly laugh. Love an honest post and a bit of blunt self awareness
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    Glad to make your smile PP. The big news today is that the slow cooker is here!! Yay! It's been unpacked and it's surprisingly attractive as kitchen items go. I will attempt sausage casserole tomorrow night when I'm at home. I can't wait!

Huge mortgage £145K
    • zackyv6661
    • By zackyv6661 5th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    zackyv6661
    Living at my parent's at the moment, I don't get to benefit too much from using the slow cooker, but I do get to make dinner plus extras for all the family!! lol I'm looking forward to having all of that food to myself when I have a place of my own and my own slow cooker!!
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 5th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Read it again and it still raised a chuckle

Yey to SC's arrival - let us know how you get on
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 6th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,182 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    Well the slow cooker is on and wafting a lovely sausage casserole smell around, fingers crossed it tastes OK because I will be eating it for a while. I spent £14 on the ingredients but this will make two batches and included three stock cupboard items. I also bought 10 of the take-way boxes recommend for £1.

I don't have a microwave so I am hopeful that I can just re-heat it on a stove / oven?? If I have to I will just buy a microwave.

I forced myself to running this morning, it's freezing and I really wanted to stay in bed. I really struggled and walked at least half of the 5k, I have got soooo unfit. I felt better afterwards, I just have to keep at it..

Huge mortgage £145K
    • zackyv6661
    • By zackyv6661 6th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    zackyv6661
    Well the slow cooker is on and wafting a lovely sausage casserole smell around, fingers crossed it tastes OK because I will be eating it for a while. I spent £14 on the ingredients but this will make two batches and included three stock cupboard items. I also bought 10 of the take-way boxes recommend for £1.

I don't have a microwave so I am hopeful that I can just re-heat it on a stove / oven?? If I have to I will just buy a microwave.

I forced myself to running this morning, it's freezing and I really wanted to stay in bed. I really struggled and walked at least half of the 5k, I have got soooo unfit. I felt better afterwards, I just have to keep at it..
    Sounds like you're having a very productive day! My dad loves making a sausage casserole in the slow cooker, and it always turns out well.

Well done you forcing yourself to go for a run - getting healthier this year is one of my resolutions, but I'm not a runner at all! lol So I'm impressed by your determination!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,514Posts Today

8,856Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @RobiMous2: Yesterday I saved myself £30 a month by switching utilities and cancelling a sim no one in the family used anymore. Inspired?

• RT @elainelawro: @MartinSLewis When I lost my mum suddenly from a burst aneurysm on the brain I was unaware that my mum had signed up to do?

• RT @AlisonKinder: @MartinSLewis I?m on my second kidney transplant in Thirty years. My life has been changed beyond recognition twice by th?

• Follow Martin