Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 2nd Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 281Posts
    • 1,183Thanks
    sofarbehind
    All the single ladies vs 145k
    • 2nd Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    All the single ladies vs 145k 2nd Jan 18 at 6:49 PM
    Put your hands up! Hello everyone!

As a long term lurker on this section I'm very excited to finally be in a position to join you MFWs. I finally managed to buy a house by myself last year I am in my late 30s and had very poor wages and worse money management skills in my 20s that mean I am financially very behind a lot of people my age. I am indeed sofarbehind and have a lot of catching up to do.

There is only me, newly single and I don't even have a cat. Wasn't financially involved with the ex so that is simple at least. My mortgage is for 145k over 24 years, 5 year fix at 2.29%. That is a LOT of money I owe the Halifax. Last year I didn't do a lot of saving, I spent a lot on household items..I had NO furniture / basic kitchen stuff thanks to house shares. So I cut myself some slack and have made the house a home. Now it's time to knuckle back down and tackle that 145K.

There are a lot of positives to my situation. I am lucky enough to have a good job these days, have no other debts, am in a great pension scheme and I am quite MSE.

My master plan is to get the balance down to £100k before I remortgage. That means I need to overpay by 25k in the next four and a half years. This is an ambitious goal but it's achievable if I am sensible. For the coming year I plan to save an emergency fund of 10k before I really start on the mortgage. I miss having a good safety net and want this in place by August. My current emergency fund is at 3k. I think I am going to round up my mortgage payments by £347/month to £1000 until this is done, just so that I am chipping away at it. I have prioritised the emergency fund this month so my first OP will be on 01.02.18.

Phew, well done if you have read this far...I will come back and post a SOA later to help me budget.
    Save 12k in 2015, Number #052 (19.4k)
    Save 12k in 2016, Number #031 (15.1)
    Save 12k in 2018, £800 / £10k target

Mortgage overpayments 2018: £0
    Huge mortgage £145K
Page 2
    • robgoode
    • By robgoode 3rd Jan 18, 7:59 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    robgoode
    That's what my mother keeps telling me - that it will fly by! And I do hope so would you say the HTB ISA was beneficial to you then? It is something I have been looking into
    Originally posted by zackyv6661
    Without a doubt, it been worthwhile. Me and my partner started one each in May 2016 and have over £12k combined.

Although I was paying off my debt I still made sure to pay into the ISA. I just did without certain things a month and cooked more often from scratch. The way I saw it was the ISA was free money to gain from the government just by saving each month.

As sofarbehind mentioned earlier, you do start to get motivated when you start to see you debt decrease. Every time I passed below a £1k level it felt like a challenge to hit the next level. The first month I felt like it was going to take a lifetime to pay off as it seemed so much money. Now having paid off the last of my debt it seems like the time has flown by. It does help I think knowing I've gone from having debt to now being debt free with a large sum saved for a deposit.

Everyone will advise differently but I'd say pay off as much of your debt per month and still pay what you can into your ISA. I could have been debt free a few months back had I not paid into the ISA but I'd have less saved for my deposit than I do now. My debt was 0% interest which helped. Also the other positive to paying off your debt is a healthier credit rating
    • zackyv6661
    • By zackyv6661 3rd Jan 18, 8:11 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    zackyv6661
    Without a doubt, it been worthwhile. Me and my partner started one each in May 2016 and have over £12k combined.

Although I was paying off my debt I still made sure to pay into the ISA. I just did without certain things a month and cooked more often from scratch. The way I saw it was the ISA was free money to gain from the government just by saving each month.

As sofarbehind mentioned earlier, you do start to get motivated when you start to see you debt decrease. Every time I passed below a £1k level it felt like a challenge to hit the next level. The first month I felt like it was going to take a lifetime to pay off as it seemed so much money. Now having paid off the last of my debt it seems like the time has flown by. It does help I think knowing I've gone from having debt to now being debt free with a large sum saved for a deposit.

Everyone will advise differently but I'd say pay off as much of your debt per month and still pay what you can into your ISA. I could have been debt free a few months back had I not paid into the ISA but I'd have less saved for my deposit than I do now. My debt was 0% interest which helped. Also the other positive to paying off your debt is a healthier credit rating
    Originally posted by robgoode
    That's really great to know, thank you!

I took a while to sit down and work out my budget for this year, and I have just put some reminders in my phone on dates where I am paying off debts - so that should keep me going too! I am currently at just over £11k in debt, but this will be completely paid off by December! What a great feeling that will be.

My credit score has slowly been increasing - though I know it's the credit report that is more important, it is still nice to see improvements in my credit score too!
    Credit Card: £5350 (£5210 remaining)
    Overdraft: £1498.68
    Loan 1: £5000 (£2252.26 remaining)
    Loan 2: £1656.90 (£657.35 remaining)
    Very: £703.97 (£553.97 remaining)
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge: £291.51/£2018
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 3rd Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    I'll be following this diary too because I am in a very similar situation, with a very similar mortgage. I'd love to see your SOA, sofarbehind, to see how it compares to my outgoings I also want to pay off as much as possible.
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 3rd Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    I have ordered a slow cooker that is on sale, I just need to get over my paranoia that it will burn the house down when it arrives. I chose one with a timer as I often don't know what time I will be home.

I bought myself some tulips and daffs from Aldi, very early and probably a sign of global warming but it made me so happy to see them. 2017 was a very mixed year and the heartache towards the end of it means I'm glad to see the back of it. Spring flowers mean a new beginning is on the way and filled my silly heart with hope. I feel a lot more positive now. My ex bought me flowers quite often so I'm going to continue to buy them for myself every week because they bring me a lot of pleasure. I know it's not very MSE so I will stick to cheap ones..

Huge mortgage £145K
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 3rd Jan 18, 9:22 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    I'll be following this diary too because I am in a very similar situation, with a very similar mortgage. I'd love to see your SOA, sofarbehind, to see how it compares to my outgoings I also want to pay off as much as possible.
    Originally posted by ninnoodle
    Hello, thanks for popping in. I having been going over this on paper to see where my money goes - mainly on house stuff for the last year, everything else looks OK. I'm sensible but not in crazy saving mode and am aiming for a good balance. I just haven't worked out how to post it in my diary yet.. I love looking at other people's SOA too.

Huge mortgage £145K
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 4th Jan 18, 6:36 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    Blibble
    Best of luck on your new diary - going it alone will come with more advantages than you think, I reckon. No relying on OH to be as frugal as you!
    OnePoll: £109.45 - Populus: £145 - LuckyPhone: £42.40 - FBL: £27.80 - Crowdology: £4.88 - Prolific Academic: £11.03 - Research Opinions: £3.04 - Quidco: £0
    Total extra income: £343.60
    • Cicatriz
    • By Cicatriz 4th Jan 18, 9:57 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Cicatriz
    I have ordered a slow cooker that is on sale, I just need to get over my paranoia that it will burn the house down when it arrives. I chose one with a timer as I often don't know what time I will be home.
    Originally posted by sofarbehind
    Good going! Share anything good you make, I'm always looking for new stuff.

I'm not fully over that paranoia about burning the house down either. I'm yet to hear of a house fire caused by a slow cooker though.

For an SOA, use http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php. Just hit the MSE button near the bottom and it will give you something you can copy and paste here.
    Last edited by Cicatriz; 04-01-2018 at 9:59 AM.
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 4th Jan 18, 10:31 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    ninnoodle

I bought myself some tulips and daffs from Aldi, very early and probably a sign of global warming but it made me so happy to see them. 2017 was a very mixed year and the heartache towards the end of it means I'm glad to see the back of it. Spring flowers mean a new beginning is on the way and filled my silly heart with hope. I feel a lot more positive now. My ex bought me flowers quite often so I'm going to continue to buy them for myself every week because they bring me a lot of pleasure. I know it's not very MSE so I will stick to cheap ones..
    Gosh I am with you! I have the same feelings about 2017 - very sad towards the end and I am so glad to see the back of it. I actually went and bought a slow cooker (new, £12 off ebay incl P&P ) and it's the business! I bought some diced venison and beef at the beginning of December and made several casseroles - beef in red wine, beef in Guiness (had some tins to use up), venison in red wine - all beautiful. Froze lots of single portions and have been having them mostly for dinner every evening - and they're still going! I now have some yellow sticker lamb i want to use in the slow cooker.
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 4th Jan 18, 12:48 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 0
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2600
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 2600

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 653
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 85
    Electricity............................. 40
    Gas..................................... 40
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 20
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 38
    TV Licence.............................. 12.25
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 25
    Groceries etc. ......................... 200
    Clothing................................ 150
    Petrol/diesel........................... 30
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 42
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 20
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 10
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 30
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 10
    Contents insurance...................... 10
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 40
    Haircuts................................ 40
    Entertainment........................... 150
    Holiday................................. 60
    Emergency fund.......................... 50
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1755.25

Assets

Cash.................................... 3000
    House value (Gross)..................... 190000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 4000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 197000

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 145000...(653)......2.27
    Total secured & HP debts...... 145000....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Total unsecured debts..........0.........0.........-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,600
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,755.25
    Available for debt repayments........... 844.75
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 0
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 844.75

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 197,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -145,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -0
    Net Assets.............................. 52,000

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

Here it is everyone. This is based on what I spent last year but includes council tax increases for the coming year. I know the clothes spend is very high, this coming year I don't NEED anything so I could get this waay down. I also need to loose 10lb....I went a bit mad after years of scrimping.

My food spend is very high for a single person, this I am hoping to address with the slow cooker and actually learning to cook.

The income I have included here is my minimum pay. Most months I have some overtime on top of this, although it isn't under my control how much and it varies annually. This can be between £0-600/month. The calculator won't let me add this so I left it off. ALL of this extra income went on setting up my house costs last year. I haven't decided what to do with this money this year, I still have two empty rooms and would like a guest bed so I will probably buy that and spend the rest of home improvements - e.g I need new floors and a lot of re-tiling.

I'm interested to see what everyone thinks? I am not really willing to cut my entertainment and present budget, I want to enjoy my life. Everything else I am happy to cut back on. Sadly I need the car for work.
    Last edited by sofarbehind; 04-01-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Huge mortgage £145K
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 4th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    Good going! Share anything good you make, I'm always looking for new stuff.

For an SOA, use http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php. Just hit the MSE button near the bottom and it will give you something you can copy and paste here.
    Originally posted by Cicatriz
    Thanks very much, I don't know why I was so confused. I am a rubbish cook so suspect it will be a while before I have any recommendations..

Gosh I am with you! I have the same feelings about 2017 - very sad towards the end and I am so glad to see the back of it. I actually went and bought a slow cooker (new, £12 off ebay incl P&P ) and it's the business! I bought some diced venison and beef at the beginning of December and made several casseroles - beef in red wine, beef in Guiness (had some tins to use up), venison in red wine - all beautiful. Froze lots of single portions and have been having them mostly for dinner every evening - and they're still going! I now have some yellow sticker lamb i want to use in the slow cooker.
    Ah ninnoodle you sound just like me but with culinary skills. Venison in wine!!!Wow, that sounds wonderful. I'm looking forward to the slow cooker arriving now. I'm really interested to see what you think of my SOA and to see yours actually. 2018 will be our year.

Best of luck on your new diary - going it alone will come with more advantages than you think, I reckon. No relying on OH to be as frugal as you!
    Originally posted by Blibble
    Now this is actually a very good point. One of my friends has a husband with a gambling problem. I will remember this and try to moan less.
    Last edited by sofarbehind; 04-01-2018 at 1:24 PM.

Huge mortgage £145K
    • zackyv6661
    • By zackyv6661 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    zackyv6661
    Now this is actually a very good point. One of my friends has a husband with a gambling problem. I will remember this and try to moan less.
    My brother also has a gambling problem and got himself into a right mess last year! He's 27, and my mother now has control of his finances to help him stop, and things are improving for him. He is also clearing his debts now too, so hopefully things are moving in the right direction for him! But it does make me realise how lucky I will be to only have myself to rely upon when I finally have my own place - I know I can trust myself lol
    • Cicatriz
    • By Cicatriz 4th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Cicatriz
    Looks like a good SOA to me. The clothes spend stood out, but you already mentioned that.

My only other thought is the Gas and Electric is high at a combined £80. Have you any idea why that is? Is it a result of high consumption or a bad tarrif? If it's the consumption do you know what might be causing it?

I went a bit mad 2 years ago and cut my consumption by ~20%. LED lights, defrosted the freezer and made sure that and the fridge contain packing if not full.
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 4th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    Ah ninnoodle you sound just like me but with culinary skills. Venison in wine!!!Wow, that sounds wonderful. I'm looking forward to the slow cooker arriving now. I'm really interested to see what you think of my SOA and to see yours actually. 2018 will be our year.
    Ah I live in the Highlands and venison is very in season at the moment!
    Your SOA looks reasonable - actually a lot less than me in some areas and a lot more in others (eg. clothes - I hardly buy anything at the moment) I will try and do one too, would be good to compare.
    • ninnoodle
    • By ninnoodle 4th Jan 18, 3:33 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    ninnoodle
    Hi sofarbehind, I've also done an SOA - it might help to compare. I'd really like to get my monthly amount down (although £300 goes to savings I guess)

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household.........

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2853
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Total monthly income.................... 2853

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 612.5
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Council tax............................. 130
    Electricity............................. 60
    Gas..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 0
    Mobile phone............................ 64
    TV Licence.............................. 0
    Internet Services....................... 35
    Groceries etc. ......................... 150
    Clothing................................ 10
    Petrol/diesel........................... 20
    Road tax................................ 20
    Car Insurance........................... 25
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 20
    Other travel............................ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 10
    Buildings insurance..................... 11.5
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 62
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 30
    Haircuts................................ 40
    Entertainment........................... 150
    Holiday................................. 20
    Emergency fund.......................... 300
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1770

Assets

Cash.................................... 18500
    House value (Gross)..................... 178000
    Shares and bonds........................ 5000
    Car(s).................................. 15000
    Total Assets............................ 216500

Secured & HP Debts

Mortgage...................... 142400...(612.5)....2.14
    Total secured & HP debts...... 142400....-.........-

Unsecured Debts

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,853
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,770
    Available for debt repayments........... 1,083
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 1,083

Total assets (things you own)........... 216,500
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -142,400
    Net Assets.............................. 74,100

• Kerreh
    • By Kerreh 4th Jan 18, 4:29 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Kerreh
    Oh this thread definitely needs subscribing to for me Another single-y here although looking at your SoA's I think I need a career change
    • zackyv6661
    • By zackyv6661 4th Jan 18, 4:30 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    zackyv6661
    Oh this thread definitely needs subscribing to for me Another single-y here although looking at your SoA's I think I need a career change
    Originally posted by Kerreh
    I was thinking the same thing Kerreh!
    • robgoode
    • By robgoode 4th Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    robgoode
    I've subscribed to this thread also. Last time I checked i'm definitely not a lady.

However having previously been at the point of where most of you are currently at in terms of debt I'm happy to help where possible now I've gotten through the repayments.
    • robgoode
    • By robgoode 4th Jan 18, 5:22 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    robgoode
    This isn't accurate but where I believe we will be at once we have moved in. Monthly bills and mortgage are based on numbers I've researched before hand. They are likely to be either too high or too low but it gives an overall state of affairs.

Petrol is high due to location of partners job. After we move he is likely to be relocating closer to the new property so this figure will drop.

TV licence we won't be getting as we never watch live TV or any of the services that would require a TV licence.

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household.........

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1350
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 1150
    Total monthly income.................... 2500

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 500
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 172
    Council tax............................. 170
    Electricity............................. 40
    Gas..................................... 40
    Water rates............................. 40
    Mobile phone............................ 27
    TV Licence.............................. 0
    Internet Services....................... 35
    Groceries etc. ......................... 100
    Clothing................................ 20
    Petrol/diesel........................... 160
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 33
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
    Other travel............................ 50
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 10
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 10
    Contents insurance...................... 10
    Life assurance ......................... 10
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 10
    Haircuts................................ 15
    Entertainment........................... 30
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1482

Assets

Cash.................................... 5000
    House value (Gross)..................... 128000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 1
    Total Assets............................ 133001

Secured & HP Debts

Mortgage...................... 112000...(500)......2
    Hire Purchase (HP) debt ...... 8000.....(172)......0
    Total secured & HP debts...... 120000....-.........-

Unsecured Debts

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,500
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,482
    Available for debt repayments........... 1,018
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 1,018

Total assets (things you own)........... 133,001
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -120,000
    Net Assets.............................. 13,001

Last edited by robgoode; 04-01-2018 at 5:32 PM.
    • Cicatriz
    • By Cicatriz 4th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Cicatriz
    I've subscribed to this thread also. Last time I checked i'm definitely not a lady.
    Originally posted by robgoode
    I've subscribed, too. I was thinking these sorts of things are quite liberal and progressive these days, so who'd notice?
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 4th Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    sofarbehind
    Hi sofarbehind, I've also done an SOA - it might help to compare. I'd really like to get my monthly amount down (although £300 goes to savings I guess)

Thanks very much for posting that ninnoodle. It's particularly interesting as we are in very similar circumstances with very similar incomes. I have to say I'm impressed! That looks seriously Spartan to me. Is your aim to aggressively overpay and be MF ASAP?. I thought I was aiming for a bit more of a relaxed approach but now I'm having a rethink. We are lucky to have so much spare to throw at this. Are you giving up a proper holiday? I would be quite happy to cut them out for a while and just visit friends and family in the UK. You have a wonderful cash buffer there, that is my first priority. Well done

Huge mortgage £145K
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

25Posts Today

4,104Users online

Martin's Twitter