Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > MoneySavers Arms > The Money Savers Arms > Night driving glasses,do they work?? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Night driving glasses,do they work??
Closed Thread
Views: 25,320
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
cslogg
Old 16-10-2007, 9:07 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 295
Default Night driving glasses,do they work??

I always have trouble with glare from oncoming traffic while driving at night.
There are some glasses on Ebay which claim to help with this problem.Does anyone know if they work or are they a con.I dont need glasses to help me see better just to eliminate glare.

Thanks
cslogg
cslogg is offline
Report Post
# 2
Graham_Devon
Old 16-10-2007, 9:16 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 49,479
Default

Wear sunglasses!
Graham_Devon is offline
Report Post
# 3
Tallymanjohn
Old 16-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: East Midlands....... OK, Leicestershire!!!!!???
Posts: 1,050
Default

The driving glasses I've got, from specsavers, are actually tinted, polarized glasses - not really suitable for night driving.
Tallymanjohn is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Tallymanjohn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
TWP
Old 23-05-2008, 6:34 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3
Default Get a glaucoma check before you get the glasses!

If you start to find that you are being dazzled by oncoming headlamps, start feeling that one eye is becoming harder to see through than the other or you don't feel that you can see quite as well while driving at night as you used to be able to I would strongly advise you to get a glaucoma test at your local optician. Lots of people have glaucoma without even realising it (noticable and obvious vision damage doesn't show up untl it has advanced and it's progression is usually completely painless so without a test you won't know you have it until it starts to blind you), and you can usually save your sight and your continued ability to be able to drive by detecting it early before your eye is injured.

In the UK a glaucoma test only takes a few minutes, costs around 10 and doesn't involve having to undergo anything painful or scary. Money well spent, believe me, as optic nerve damage caused by glaucoma is currently irreversable. Most people would feel pretty sick if they had to stop driving for the rest of their lives because of an eye disease that could have been detected and treated for less than 10.

If you start needing night-driving glasses get the test THEN get the glasses!
TWP is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to TWP For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Happy Girl
Old 23-05-2008, 8:20 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 487
Default

I had this problem when I started driving. Went to the Opticians to ask about night driving glasses and when he tested my eyes discovered I had a condition called Retinitis Pigmentosa

Sadlly, once you've been diagnosed with RP, you're no longer alllowed to drive so it cost me my licence!

Part of me wishes I hadn't blimmin asked now!!!

But I'm also glad I found out before I had an accident and caused injury to someone else!
Happy Girl is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Girl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
nedmundo
Old 24-05-2008, 6:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP View Post
If you start to find that you are being dazzled by oncoming headlamps, start feeling that one eye is becoming harder to see through than the other or you don't feel that you can see quite as well while driving at night as you used to be able to I would strongly advise you to get a glaucoma test at your local optician. Lots of people have glaucoma without even realising it (noticable and obvious vision damage doesn't show up untl it has advanced and it's progression is usually completely painless so without a test you won't know you have it until it starts to blind you), and you can usually save your sight and your continued ability to be able to drive by detecting it early before your eye is injured.

In the UK a glaucoma test only takes a few minutes, costs around £10 and doesn't involve having to undergo anything painful or scary. Money well spent, believe me, as optic nerve damage caused by glaucoma is currently irreversable. Most people would feel pretty sick if they had to stop driving for the rest of their lives because of an eye disease that could have been detected and treated for less than £10.

If you start needing night-driving glasses get the test THEN get the glasses!
Glare at night is not normally caused by glaucoma! Cataracts are a more likely explanation, as is dirt/smearing on the inside.outside of the wind screen.

There is no such thing a glaucoma test. What you probably refer to is a pressure test., which is not much use by itself as half of glaucoma cases have normal pressure in the first place. Pressure in the eyes is only a risk factor. The only way to be sure is to have a full eye examination I'm afraid.
nedmundo is offline
Report Post
# 7
nedmundo
Old 24-05-2008, 6:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,088
Default

Oh and don't use tints for night driving - most of them are illegal as they cut too much light out!
nedmundo is offline
Report Post
# 8
TWP
Old 02-06-2008, 6:27 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmundo View Post
Glare at night is not normally caused by glaucoma! Cataracts are a more likely explanation, as is dirt/smearing on the inside.outside of the wind screen.

There is no such thing a glaucoma test. What you probably refer to is a pressure test., which is not much use by itself as half of glaucoma cases have normal pressure in the first place. Pressure in the eyes is only a risk factor. The only way to be sure is to have a full eye examination I'm afraid.
There is such a thing as a glaucoma test (or I've been ripped off by my optician!) I booked my sister for a test after I was diagnosed with the disease along with my father. My sister had had an eye test less than a year before (different optician), but as frequently happens she wasn't given a pressure test. As she'd had her free tezt she didn't qualify for a second free test, but the receptionist said that she could have a glaucoma test for 8.50 (full sight test is about 20 according to the net) - which she did and was at the high end of OK, lucky her! It's true though that you'd probably be given the test as part of a full sight examination if you hadn't been to the optician for a while unless perhaps you insisted otherwise.

As an indicator that something may be going wrong with your eyes, finding yourself struggling with headlights or feeling that you have poorer night vision than you remember having is as good an early warning as any, and is a relevant point to bring up where people might be looking into night-driving glasses because they've started having sight problems. I think you'd agree that it makes a lot more sense to get tested for something you turn out not to have than it does to sit there slowly going blind under your night-driving glasses! :-)

The link below is also worth a read:

http://www.glaucoma.org/living/glaucoma_and_dr.php
(Glaucoma Research Foundation)

"Q&A:

I have glaucoma, and when I drive at night, I really have a tough time with the glare from oncoming headlights. Do you know of any ways to reduce this glare?

Glaucoma can cause a number of vision problems, such as loss of contrast sensitivity, problems with glare, and light sensitivity"............
TWP is offline
Report Post
# 9
TWP
Old 02-06-2008, 6:36 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
I had this problem when I started driving. Went to the Opticians to ask about night driving glasses and when he tested my eyes discovered I had a condition called Retinitis Pigmentosa

Sadlly, once you've been diagnosed with RP, you're no longer alllowed to drive so it cost me my licence!

Part of me wishes I hadn't blimmin asked now!!!

But I'm also glad I found out before I had an accident and caused injury to someone else!

I'm sorry to hear that. I was really worried about losing my licence when I found out I had problems, but I managed to get through the test OK. There is some research going on to repair the damage you get with your disease using your eye's own stem cells, particularly at the Schepens Center in America, but you're probably going to have to wait a while for anything to come of it that can be used on people.
TWP is offline
Report Post
# 10
nedmundo
Old 02-06-2008, 5:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP View Post
There is such a thing as a glaucoma test (or I've been ripped off by my optician!) I booked my sister for a test after I was diagnosed with the disease along with my father. My sister had had an eye test less than a year before (different optician), but as frequently happens she wasn't given a pressure test. As she'd had her free tezt she didn't qualify for a second free test, but the receptionist said that she could have a glaucoma test for 8.50 (full sight test is about 20 according to the net) - which she did and was at the high end of OK, lucky her! It's true though that you'd probably be given the test as part of a full sight examination if you hadn't been to the optician for a while unless perhaps you insisted otherwise.

As an indicator that something may be going wrong with your eyes, finding yourself struggling with headlights or feeling that you have poorer night vision than you remember having is as good an early warning as any, and is a relevant point to bring up where people might be looking into night-driving glasses because they've started having sight problems. I think you'd agree that it makes a lot more sense to get tested for something you turn out not to have than it does to sit there slowly going blind under your night-driving glasses! :-)

The link below is also worth a read:

http://www.glaucoma.org/living/glaucoma_and_dr.php
(Glaucoma Research Foundation)

"Q&A:

I have glaucoma, and when I drive at night, I really have a tough time with the glare from oncoming headlights. Do you know of any ways to reduce this glare?

Glaucoma can cause a number of vision problems, such as loss of contrast sensitivity, problems with glare, and light sensitivity"............
What precisely did this 'glaucoma' test entail? Like I said previously, half of glaucoma patients have 'normal' pressures, so it can't be the pressure test. Half the optic nerve fibres are destroyed, before you get a visual field defect, so field testing isn't a very sensitive test either! It would be nice to detect glaucoma before it gets to that stage, the only way to do so is assessing/analysing the optic nerve appearance, preferably over a period of time.

So you will see that there is no definitive 'glaucoma test' as such, the only way to be sure is regular full eye exams at the same Opticians, who will have previous records to compare with. The information gleaned from the pressure test alone is effectively useless. Therefore, if someone came in and asked me for a 'glaucoma' test alone, irrespective of money, I'd refuse as I'd be taking on a legal responsibility with my hands tied behind your back!

I agree that does make sense to have an eye exam for any ocular symptoms, but you can't just go and ask for a test for one particular condition, as in all likelyhood, there's probably a different cause. I for one would always much rather see a patient to find there is no problem rather than not to see one, when there is!


I am of course talking about primary open angle glaucoma - the common one. There is a less common 'closed angle' variety, where a full or partial blockage of the drainage channels (which normally occurs at night) leads to extreme high pressures. This in turn can lead to a hazy cornea and sensitivity to light, but is frequently accompanied by extreme pain and sometimes vomiting.

Try reading this from the same website!

http://www.glaucoma.org/learn/index.php &
http://www.glaucoma.org/learn/index.php

Note this is an American Ophthalmolgical website and procedures such as gonioscopy, pachymetry and scanning laser analysis are not commonly performed in UK Optometric practice, but times are a changing!

Cheers

Last edited by nedmundo; 02-06-2008 at 8:18 PM.
nedmundo is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 3:45 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 17 December 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
  • Homes in Council Tax bands H and I will be included in the new Flood Re insurance scheme from next year, the Govt has announced today
  • Want to eat out for £5ish? Of course you do, full details in our Deals Hunters blog: http://t.co/OwyziST0dr #dealshunters
  • RT @MSE_Deals: Get £20 off when you spend £100 or more on technology or home electricals at Tesco Direct with online code. Ends Sun http://?