Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 28,366Posts
    • 157,957Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 4
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    • 28,366 Posts
    • 157,957 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Just found your new diary KC!!
    Originally posted by misscousinitt
    Hiya!

Glad you have got all the stuff sorted for your 'French' inputting - it's nice when you know you have all the information together (what I need to do for next year).
    Yep, anything you can do in advance is such a boon. I discovered I'd already listed incomings, and separated them out from personal transfers etc, thats a huge amount of work

Boo to the washing not drying, but it's probably too cold? Can't wait to get ours back on the line - though we need to put a new line up (as ours was a piece of rope that broke); or put our posh collapsible one up that we bought with our wedding money that has been sitting in the shed since we moved house! Another spring job for DH me thinks.
    It was on a setting I'm not used to it may simply have needed a spin programmed in after the wash had finished plus I had two very different textures in there I'm not a natural at this stuff

Glad you got a decent coat - the trip sounds really exciting, I can't wait to hear all about it.

MCI x
    Thank you! As long as my energy levels are mended a bit more, it will be fantastic

And when will it arrive?

That's the one thing that irritates me about women's "hiking" fashion. Women get long coats - men don't.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    I brought it home with me, Z it wasn't something I wanted to buy online. And though it isn't quite the length of an ordinary coat, it's the second-longest jacket I could find - comes to mid-thigh. Very slightly fitted, and it's got all the bells and whistles of good quality windproof/weatherproof.

Your coat sounds an absolute bargain - well done

Double well done for tackling the brambles - fiendish things

PP xx
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    Thank you PP (and beanie too) - there's such a lot more out there though even though I've kept on at it all. I have to keep on even more, however, because all of the brambles have got leaf-buds on now

ETA - inputted the French figures, and completion is still only 52%, bah! Off to add up the interest bits and bobs now.
    Last edited by Karmacat; 12-01-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    Retired August 2016
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 12th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 8,409 Posts
    • 48,191 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    Well done on getting a coat, great for walking in this country too. You'll certainly look the part!

We are currently drying clothes in a spare bedroom over a couple of clothes horses. We got a new washing machine last year, and didn't bother with a built in dryer. We had stopped using the dryer on the old machine to keep costs down a bit. Can't wait for it to warm upso we can hang the washing out on the line again. In summer it dries in no time
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 12th Jan 18, 7:01 PM
    • 23,482 Posts
    • 41,375 Thanks
    ZTD
    I brought it home with me, Z it wasn't something I wanted to buy online. And though it isn't quite the length of an ordinary coat, it's the second-longest jacket I could find - comes to mid-thigh.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Well that's ideal - you don't want it too long as it'll trail in things. Certainly it's better than the normal coats, which are fitted to come down to your hips, but actually only get down as far as kidney level. Then you bend over and then straighten up and find a bike has been parked...

Very slightly fitted, and it's got all the bells and whistles of good quality windproof/weatherproof.
    Proper zips?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    • 28,366 Posts
    • 157,957 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Taped seams, closures over the zips, wrist closures, buttons up over my lower face, pull thingies at the bottom, the fabric is something magical measured in 000s about windproof/rainproof.

Achieved SB thingummy, not only Swago but the daily goal too. £10 Amazon voucher requested, hurray.

1.5 binbags of brambles but too! And dug up half a dozen rooted ones as well.

Interest bits and bobs taking much longer than expected - so it goes
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 13th Jan 18, 8:11 AM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 20,725 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Wow Karma lovely new diary I'm trying to keep up :0
    I got totally lost on here as my diary was deleted (think due to the title?) I was gutted, but missed it so I have a new one. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5774487

Your plans sound amazing and well though out. Will be cheering you on!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    Sept 17 £22,619 Jan 18 - £11,687
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 28,366 Posts
    • 157,957 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh earthgirl! You poor thing that's exactly what Suffolk Lass was warning me about. I can't think what was wrong with your title but it's why I started a new one. I don't often read back, but its very good to have the facility to see how things have changed.

Quiet weekend ahead, though - I'm ** still** working on getting things up to scratch from how I had to abandon things when I got ill. Finishing off "dividends and interest" category for HMRC is the most important.

Hopping over to your new diary now xxx
    Retired August 2016
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 13th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 581 Posts
    • 2,740 Thanks
    michelle09
    Sounds very good. Proper winter coats with all the right insulation (I have no idea what the numbers mean either!) make all the difference. Particularly on trips to the arctic circle!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    • 28,366 Posts
    • 157,957 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Yep, even though it's midsummer, it *might* be close to freezing. Could be 16 degrees too, of course.

I got to the SB goal it was lowered back to 30, I think for the weekend, ha. I've shut down the phone now, otherwise those crazy videos will just keep rolling.

And I have to say, having a diary again, instead of trying to remember here there and everywhere (healthy walks, visits to family, dentist, holiday, local events, you know the sort of thing) feels much better!

But I haven't been paying attention at all to the Interest and Dividends thing, this is probably why I think my tax return takes me so long
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 13th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 23,482 Posts
    • 41,375 Thanks
    ZTD
    Yep, even though it's midsummer, it *might* be close to freezing. Could be 16 degrees too, of course.
    To be honest, it's *far* more important to not be wet.

It might be cold, and that might be bad, but wet goes with miserable so well, it's almost a saying.

But I haven't been paying attention at all to the Interest and Dividends thing, this is probably why I think my tax return takes me so long
    I can hardly criticise you for that. Apparently they've been estimating my gas usage for the past 5 years...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 13th Jan 18, 5:50 PM
    • 3,628 Posts
    • 28,983 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Hope you 're keeping well KC.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 14th Jan 18, 9:26 AM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 6,520 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I’ve just found your new diary - I wondered why you hadn’t popped up on my subscribed list for a while!

Good to see you are having fun, the cruise sounds amazing, the fjords is definitely on my bucket list so I’ll be following and learning from your exploits

Your jacket sounds a great find too, I can vouch for good quality outdoor clothing making a HUGE difference.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 28,366 Posts
    • 157,957 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Morning all

Yep, here I am

Yet more brambles and bramble roots consigned to the bin yesterday, hurray. Plus some scanning-to-declutter. They were the only extras I did after posting yesterday.

This morning, I'm giving the house a good airing. My sister's coming along so we can check out the details of The Sun's holiday offer - I've been meaning to buy the thing too, but I haven't got round to it, maybe one is enough, since I've never done it before

And there's sunshine definitely going to get some outside time
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 14th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 2,057 Posts
    • 12,884 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...And there's sunshine definitely going to get some outside time
    Soooooo envious of your sunshine - we have grey skies and a chill in the air! - Definately at home & under the blanket on the sofa weather!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    • 28,366 Posts
    • 157,957 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi sweetie

I'm still not outside yet, but it's still sunny. Off in the next ten minutes
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 28,366 Posts
    • 157,957 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Today:

- SB, just about - it took a lot of faffing, while I was doing something else, but it adds time to everything.

- bit of a walk, not much, but nice.

- an hour in the garden, yet another bin bag filled, some roots included

- bruvver has flu

- it's my council-run healthy walk first thing tomorrow. And I'm *not* doing any shopping afterwards, I nearly wrecked myself last week. Straight home, and not sparing the horses either ...
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 15th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 7,546 Thanks
    themadvix
    Enjoy the walk - hope the weather is better with you than it is here (lashing it down, sideways at times!).

Glad you got a coat that suits. Hope brother is feeling better soon. Had he had a flu jab?
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Dec 2017: £96,822
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 15th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Enjoy your walk KC going the sunshine stays out for you! Very grey here!

Hope your brother feels better soon flu...having had it once..horrid!
    MF planning for the simple life
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Jan 18, 12:44 PM
    • 28,366 Posts
    • 157,957 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hiya! No, I don't think he had a flu jab ... walking the dog is as much care as he takes of himself he's on the mend though.

I didn't do my council walk today - really throwing it down, like yours madvix, it just didn't stop. Erm, I might have been a bit lazy too so after I've had a cuppa, I'm going to do one of two things: either the phone calls for the accounts, or getting info for the insurance quote. Either of these fill me with horror and loathing but they both have to be done.

I think I'll reward myself with a *strong* cuppa tea to face them
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 28,366 Posts
    • 157,957 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Right, a decision has been forming all evening: I'm not doing SB like this again, no way. The apps just don't seem to want to run on my phone, and no survey will have me! And it disrupts my whole day, that's what makes it a no no, to keep on checking it and making sure it's running, and finding another section that I haven't run (sporty thing kept going to horse yoga, god knows why) ... but by the time I'd got 35/40, I was determined to get to the finish. And just now, at 38, I got 15 for a search. Thats it, I'm done. It's dominated my day, to get 40 points, and its really, really not worth it. I'll do the easy stuff - the "tasks" that earn a point, the main app which actually does work, playing Swagasaurus but nothing more. I might as well have been stuck working on a factory conveyor belt like when I was a student, and I'm not going to do that to myself, especially not for tuppence ha'penny.

What a relief! Shutting down now, and watching the second half of Silent Witness, which I haven't seen for ages ...

Have a good night's sleep all.
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 7,546 Thanks
    themadvix
    Seems sensible re SBs... I go through phases.... and I'm in an enthusiastic one at the moment (the apps run okay for me, and I think their discovery has made a big difference). You're right, it's not worth it for hardly any return. Sometimes I just do the easiest of the daily tasks - and the odd survey that meets my lazy requirements - it still adds up, just more slowly!

Glad your brother is on the mend.
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Dec 2017: £96,822
    MFW2017 no. 38
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

951Posts Today

7,831Users online

Martin's Twitter